GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are planning a trip west in early August and a major part of our trip is to ride the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways.

With all this hogwash going on in DC with the debt limit controversy, it's become a concern that the National parks could be closed during the time we'll want to ride these highways.

Here's where the forum comes in....can anyone provide info on how much of these two highways are outside the gates of Yellowstone and might still be accessible, should there be a shutdown of the park itself to visitors?

Thanks, as always.....Warren

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The northwest entrance to Yellowstone is west of Cooke City, Montana. You can ride from Cody up to the Beartooth highway by way of Chief Joseph Highway and then over to Red Lodge Mt. without entering Yellowstone.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
We just got back yesterday from the area.

As the post above said Cooke City is 6 miles out of the NE Gate and has the most lodging; Silver Gate is 4 miles out of the NE Gate and has a few places to stay.

To get to Cooke City you will either have to come through the park, come over Chief Joseph or come over the Beartooth.

There is some construction on the Beartooth but it is not bad. Chief Joseph is clear. The park closed the NE Gate the day we got there for a slide that blocked the road. They opened the gate the next afternoon. About 18 miles in the road is rough where they did the repairs but it is passable.

Wish we had allocate more time for the park, there is a lot to see. There was a little traffic; no road blockage, very pleasant ride.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A friend and I are planning a trip west in early August and a major part of our trip is to ride the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways.

With all this hogwash going on in DC with the debt limit controversy, it's become a concern that the National parks could be closed during the time we'll want to ride these highways.

Here's where the forum comes in....can anyone provide info on how much of these two highways are outside the gates of Yellowstone and might still be accessible, should there be a shutdown of the park itself to visitors?

Thanks, as always.....Warren
Are you two planning to bring a map?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you two planning to bring a map?
I carry a netbook with mapsource on it and we both are using Garmin Zumo 450 gps units.

I suppose that I've just found that asking a quick question like this on the forum is often more useful than scouring the Internet looking for the information sometimes. For example, one poster here mentions the gate being closed for a rock slide, something the paper maps don't provide.

I was looking at the satellite view of Google Maps and having a difficult time determining if the intersection of Chief Joseph and Beartooth was inside or outside of the park gate.

If that gate winds up locked when we get out that way, information like this could be very important.

Thanks again to all that posted that very useful information. It was just what I was looking for, and more.

Warren

1 - 5 of 5 Posts