GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip...

Are US 127 north out of Lansing, and US 131 south from Cadillac, built like interstates? What are the speed limits on these?

Can one drive them just like any other interstate?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The parts of US127 and US131 that you are referring to are divided highways just like the interstates.

I believe the speed limits on US131 very from 65mph to 70mph in some sections.

US127 is basically 65mph but may drop to 55mph in some areas around some of the smaller towns.

US131 is divided from just south of Kalamazoo to about 15 miles north of Cadillac and US127 is divided from just below Jackson north to where it joins I-75 just south of Grayling.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
speed limits

Us 131 south from Cadillac is true interstate-70 mph until you get to the north side of Grand Rapids. US 127 is mostly interstate, except for about 20 miles from north of St Johns to Ithaca, which was recently changed to 65 mph (from 55), it is still 4-lane with some crossroads. If it matters both roads are in very good condition and 131 is a little more scenic. As in the farms are hillier.

Richard

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Previous posts have given you very good info. If I was heading to Michigan from your area to the UP I would take 131 as it is more scenic. Both roads are in fine shape, but 131 if a nicer ride. JMO

Fred

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you have time, I would suggest you ride Route 119 which is known as the Tunnel of Trees.

The road starts just north of Petoskey where ROUTE 119 meets US31 and goes from Harbor Springs to Cross Village. Cross Village is only about 35 miles from Mackinaw.

The road hugs the shore of Little Traverse Bay above Petosky and then Lake Michigan.

Check out the info from MotorcycleRoads.com.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/309/Michigan/Tunnel-of-Trees-Road.html

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
north of Cadillac

Aw, if we're going to talk about north of Cadillac, I have some other suggestions, especially if you want "ride" roads. If you want "view" roads the route changes some.

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts