GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left East Central IL to go see our daughter who lives in Denver.
My wife had visited with friends who have family out that direction, and said traveling 36 was interesting, and way less stress than dealing with traveling on I-70.... so off we went.

The ride west was scenic, and there were some very interesting sites along the "Pony Express Highway".
What my wife's contacts had not told us about was the lack of fuel in Eastern Colorado.

As we traveled across western Kansas, we made a point to be looking for fuel at 1/2 tank as towns get further apart. We had between 5/8 and 3/4 tank when we went through St. Francis, KS. Fuel looked sketchy there so we went on.

We continued west, and through a few small farmtowns....none had fuel.
We finally broke south on Rt. 59 towards I-70 (26 miles away) as we were under 1/4 tank and few options.
We did find fuel when we got to I-70, thankfully, and the rest of the trip was uneventful until it got busy in Denver proper.

Just a heads up as we were not carrying fuel (would have if we had known fuel stops that lacking in that part of the world)

Glad we went, and we are still here, leaving Thursday for Branson, Mo for my wife's family reunion.
We got caught a bit unawares, and just offering a tip for others who may like to travel the 2 lanes
have a great day!!!
bryon

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife had visited with friends who have family out that direction, and said traveling 36 was interesting, and way less stress than dealing with traveling on I-70.... so off we went.

The ride west was scenic, and there were some very interesting sites along the "Pony Express Highway".
What my wife's contacts had not told us about was the lack of fuel in Eastern Colorado.

As we traveled across western Kansas, we made a point to be looking for fuel at 1/2 tank as towns get further apart. We had between 5/8 and 3/4 tank when we went through St. Francis, KS. Fuel looked sketchy there so we went on.

We finally broke south on Rt. 59 towards I-70 (26 miles away) as we were under 1/4 tank and few options.
We did find fuel when we got to I-70, thankfully, and the rest of the trip was uneventful until it got busy in Denver proper.

Just a heads up as we were not carrying fuel (would have if we had known fuel stops that lacking in that part of the world)

Glad we went, and we are still here, leaving Thursday for Branson, Mo for my wife's family reunion.
We got caught a bit unawares, and just offering a tip for others who may like to travel the 2 lanes
have a great day!!!
bryon

have a great day!!!
bryon
What was sketchy about getting fuel in St Francis? Bird City has gas

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,480 Posts
What no pics?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I rode through that stretch this past Sunday. Fueled in Strasburg, CO and then St. Francis, KS. Extremely quiet stretch of road on a Sunday morning.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe we missed it...only saw one station on 36 there in St. Francis. A truck stop on the very west edge of town. Motorcycle access looked tough, and I could have misjudged.
we continued west to Cope, Co (where I was below 1/4 tank by now)...then broke south to Seibert, where we found fuel. (was a nice truck stop). Put 5.1 gallons in....so was thankful to have found it
Very nice ride, and yes, lonesome road

Did see the sign for the motorcycle museum, but did not have time this trip.

Also noted the signs that said not overnight snowplowing....
thanks
bk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe we missed it...only saw one station on 36 there in St. Francis. A truck stop on the very west edge of town. Motorcycle access looked tough, and I could have misjudged.
we continued west to Cope, Co (where I was below 1/4 tank by now)...then broke south to Seibert, where we found fuel. (was a nice truck stop). Put 5.1 gallons in....so was thankful to have found it
Very nice ride, and yes, lonesome road

Did see the sign for the motorcycle museum, but did not have time this trip.

Also noted the signs that said not overnight snowplowing....
thanks
bk
Been across the eastern part of Co twice last year but not on the bike, kinda nice to not have much traffic but you do need to keep the tank full. I was going across northern Nebraska on Hiway 20 didn't stop for gas in Harrison and had to slow down to around 40 mph to make sure I could make it into Lusk Wy one year on our trip to Yellowstone, when the light comes on and you have a ways to go you mumble about how dumb a guy is :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts