GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://usroute89.com/

While prepping for a trip to northern Utah, I started wondering about US 89 from Flagstaff AZ and how far north it goes.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it goes from Mexico to Canada and beyond in both directions. Now I'm starting to plan and ponder an early 2020 summer trip to or into Canada from Cottonwood AZ. I was entertaining a side trip around Lake Superior on this same outing, but not so sure it will be included in the north/south road trip.

Anybody play on US 89 for any distance? Looks like quite a lot to see and do, per the link above.

Thanks for your replies...

- David

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
On a trip to SLC, my wife and I stayed on 89 from Flagstaff to Spanish Fork. It's called Utah’s heritage highway, and when you travel along it, you'll instantly recognize why.

89 'disappears' and is the western side of the 'Yellowstone Loop' (signed with US-191 - also a border-to-border road...). We did a different ride, and came into Yellowstone thru the north gate along 89.

Of course, some of the fun parts of 89 happen to be in our own backyard...Yarnell, and White Spars area as you enter Prescott.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have ridden 89 as far as Spanish Fork UT, and from Gardiner MT to Livingston. It's ALL great!

I love the idea of picking a US highway and following it start to finish. 89 would be a good one.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
US 89 north and then US 191 south would be an awesome loop.
I think at least one of the Three Flags rides did 191 a few years ago.

The 'window of opportunity' between freezing up north and being blasted hot on the south is quite a narrow one.

I've been on 191 from Rock Springs, WY down to Burnside, AZ - that was fun!

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Mid 80's myself and a buddy rode 89 from Panguitch UT up to Bear Lake in ID where we camped out and then into WY at Montpelier and then into Yellowstone. One of my more memorable trips. :thumbup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks, to me, like that would be a great ride.With all the scenery you'll get there, I don't think I would put the Circle the Lake tour of Superior on that trip. Having done it, I'm glad I did, however, it is not the most scenic tour in the world. It is a nice, comfortable ride, mostly flat. Anyone who has ever been over the Mackinac Bridge will, however, tell you,...That can be exciting. It was for us. Must have been 500mph side wind, and had to use the grating because of construction.
I'm not saying not to go, and do NOT want to discourage, just what to expect when you get there. I had found a different web site for travelers, and expected more, from the reviews I got.
Disclaimer: I'm from Louisiana, let those who live and ride the area give you better info than I can.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Here are two maps: US-191 Border to Border and all of US-89 North/South.
The original alignment of US-89 is described well in Wikipedia:

Prior to 1992,[2] the southern terminus of US 89 was at Nogales, Arizona. US 89 ran concurrently with Interstate 19 (I-19) until Green Valley. The route was taken (in a northerly direction) through Tucson via 6th Avenue, Congress Street and Granada Avenue. The route was carried out of Tucson via State Route 77 (SR 77). Further north it was carried via the Pinal Pioneer Parkway northwest out of Oracle Junction on SR 79. In Maricopa County, it ran concurrently with existing US 60 along Main Street in Mesa, Apache Boulevard and Mill Avenue in Tempe, then along Van Buren Street in Phoenix to Grand Avenue,[3] then to Wickenburg. Departing Wickenburg, it followed US 93 and SR 89 to Prescott. Departing Prescott, the route followed present-day SR 89 to Ash Fork, then ran east concurrently with I-40 to Flagstaff.
So, it's possible it could be another border-to-border run, though the segment thru downtown Phoenix...I'd probably bypass.

In parallel to this discussion, Arizona recently recognized the alignment of the original US-80 with historic signage erected along the route:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_80_in_Arizona#Historic_U.S._Route_80

Thus, a person that really wanted to do some travel across many of the major older byways of our land certainly have the capability of doing so these days.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I’ve ridden or driven all of that road at one time or another. I haven’t did the road all at once though.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
US 89 north and then US 191 south would be an awesome loop.
hhhmmmmmm...interesting thought! I was thinking about the 191 Border to Border ride a year or two ago, but it never panned out. This WOULD make an involved loop to be sure.

- David

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions along with the advice given.

It used to be planning a route was pretty tiresome, but not anymore. Just pick the asphalt to travel over, stop when the body says stop. Eat when I get hungry. No more dialing in a certain amount of mileage in a tight time frame just to arrive at a motel / campground for the night.

Now then, what do we want to see along the way??? Time to open up Google Earth and take a road trip...

- David

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have ridden a lot on US 89. I like and ride most often from Afton, Wyoming (Salt River Pass) northwards to Jackson Hole and then thru Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP. From the north entrance of Yellowstone, north to Canada is my favorite part. Riding 89 thru Salt Lake city is not fun or worth the hassle!

The Big Sky of Montana is what I love best...I know all the towns, the restaurants, the bars and the road too! White Sulphur Springs is an old faded town but worth a stop and a bite and sleep. Going north you cross Kings Hill Pass, 7,393 feet above sea level, the highest elevation of the entire route as you traverse the Little Belt Mountains. Follow 89 thru Great Falls, MT and then to the lovely town on Choteau, a favorite stop and place to spend the nite.

Continue north thru the Big Sky open country of Montana, with the spectacular Rocky Mountains on the west...this is a beautiful land! Browning on the Blackfoot Indian Reservation is a good place to stop and eat, even spend the nite if you went further than Choteau. Browning is your last major town going north until you cross over into Canada.

The road crests over the foothills of the Rockies and runs along the eastern side of Glacier National Park. The summer town of St. Mary and Babb are here, 95% closed up after October 1st! Even the amazing steak house in Babb is a summer only operation. The lonely trek north terminates highway 89 at the Port of Piegan border crossing, and if you enter Canada, have a valid passport. Cardston, Alberta, about 20 minutes north of the frontier is a nice town to stop and eat, or spend the night.

ANOTHER ALTERNATE USA-CANADA route is Highway 93. Check it out! Starts in Arizona and goes to the border of Canada / USA just north of Eureka, Montana. The neat thing is that #93 CONTINUES in Canada and becomes the world famous Icefields Parkway, from Lake Louise to Jasper, Alberta! You don't want to miss this route!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
https://usroute89.com/

While prepping for a trip to northern Utah, I started wondering about US 89 from Flagstaff AZ and how far north it goes.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it goes from Mexico to Canada and beyond in both directions. Now I'm starting to plan and ponder an early 2020 summer trip to or into Canada from Cottonwood AZ. I was entertaining a side trip around Lake Superior on this same outing, but not so sure it will be included in the north/south road trip.

Anybody play on US 89 for any distance? Looks like quite a lot to see and do, per the link above.

Thanks for your replies...

- David
Look at hwy 83, starts near Laredo Tx and runs through Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota and into Canada. Nice long trip if your not in a hurry. It keeps you off of the freeways.

·
Registered
611 Posts
When my Sister lived in Phoenix I rode 89 north to the Canadian border several times on my way home to Alaska. It is a very scenic highway.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Now then, what do we want to see along the way??? Time to open up Google Earth and take a road trip...
Kinda like the first time you're along UT-12, and before you know it, you're along the Hogback! :shock:

Sometimes, it's good to do it, then go 'Oooh - I want to go back!' :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
paulcf - Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Good, concise information based on prior experiences.

We just might have to "hire" you as we get further along in our journey...

- David

1 - 20 of 23 Posts