Discussion Starter #1
I had my music set up this way
Classic
Country
Gospel
Classical
Jazz
etc...

with songs in each folder, works fine except now want to have the artist in folders
Classic>artist>songs

so I moved the songs into artist folders on the computer and reconnected the USB and now have
Classic
Country
etc...
but all my artist folder are at this level as well and not in each genre folder
Classic
Jazz
Steely Dan
Gospel
Fleetwood Mac
etc...

I am missing something, I know most everyone is playing music via USB

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my music set up this way
Classic
Country
Gospel
Classical
Jazz
etc...

with songs in each folder, works fine except now want to have the artist in folders
Classic>artist>songs

so I moved the songs into artist folders on the computer and reconnected the USB and now have
Classic
Country
etc...
but all my artist folder are at this level as well and not in each genre folder
Classic
Jazz
Steely Dan
Gospel
Fleetwood Mac
etc...

I am missing something, I know most everyone is playing music via USB
If I am understanding correctly:

You need to move your artists folders into their respective classification folder...
Classic
..Artist1
....Song1
....Song2
....Song3
..Artist2
....Song1
....Song2
....Song3
Country
..Artist1
....Song1
....Song2
....Song3
..Artist2
....Song1
....Song2
....Song3

On the computer, you need to "right click" on each Artist folder, click on "cut", "right click" on the proper classification folder, then click "paste".
This will move the Artist folder to the proper classification folder. Wash, rinse, and repeat for each Artist folder.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
You should also be able to do

Genre>Artist>Album> song1, song2, etc

As in
Genre
--Artist1
----album1
------song1
------song2
------song3
----album2
------song4
------song6
------song7
--Artist2
----album3
------song8
------etc
Genre2
--Artist3
----etc

System permits nesting up to 8 deep, so other categories could also be used if they are desired

Decade>Genre>Artist>Album>song1, song2...
etc

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
USB flash drive ---- Standard USB 2.0/3.0
File systems ---- FAT32 (recommendation), FAT16, HFS+
Storage capacities ---- From 256 MB to 64 GB
Maximum hierarchies ---- 8 hierarchies
Maximum folders ---- 512 folders
Maximum files ---- 65,524 files (same limitation in one folder)
Maximum file/ folder name size ---- 255 characters
Maximum file size ---- 2 GB (in single file)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I am understanding correctly:

You need to move your artists folders into their respective classification folder...
Classic
..Artist1
....Song1
....Song2
....Song3
..Artist2
....Song1
....Song2
....Song3
Country
..Artist1
....Song1
....Song2
....Song3
..Artist2
....Song1
....Song2
....Song3

On the computer, you need to "right click" on each Artist folder, click on "cut", "right click" on the proper classification folder, then click "paste".
This will move the Artist folder to the proper classification folder. Wash, rinse, and repeat for each Artist folder.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Thanks, but that is what I have setup I think
Classic>Artist>songs with Artist a sub-folder of classic and songs are within the artist folder, However when looking at first level the Artist
are there as well as Genre's

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
usb flash drive ---- standard usb 2.0/3.0
file systems ---- fat32 (recommendation), fat16, hfs+
storage capacities ---- from 256 mb to 64 gb
maximum hierarchies ---- 8 hierarchies
maximum folders ---- 512 folders
maximum files ---- 65,524 files (same limitation in one folder)
maximum file/ folder name size ---- 255 characters
maximum file size ---- 2 gb (in single file)
so on that usb you can hold 65,524 songs ??

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
so on that usb you can hold 65,524 songs ??
Yupp. Well sort of. It also depends on file size per song.

Mine are some where around 1 GB per 10 or 12 hours of music.

If we use 11 hours per GB --

64 GB (max usb size) will give somewhere around 64 x 11 or 704 hours of audio.

704 hours x 60 min per hour, divided by 3 min per song = 14,080 songs.

I'd say the limitation is likely the size of the USB, rather than the number of files the audio system can address.

In any case, 700+/- hours is a lot of audio.

Running the audio 8 hours per day, that's 85 or 90 days before a repeat.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
Yupp. Well sort of. It also depends on file size per song.

Mine are some where around 1 GB per 10 or 12 hours of music.

If we use 11 hours per GB --

64 GB (max usb size) will give somewhere around 64 x 11 or 704 hours of audio.

704 hours x 60 min per hour, divided by 3 min per song = 14,080 songs.

I'd say the limitation is likely the size of the USB, rather than the number of files the audio system can address.

In any case, 700+/- hours is a lot of audio.

Running the audio 8 hours per day, that's 85 or 90 days before a repeat.
BY THE TIME YA GET BACK TO 1 ST SONG WILL BE "OLDIES " :wink2:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried this again and reformatted the usb to fat32to make sure and I am still getting
artist>songs

but have it configured

genre>artist>songs the genre does not show up. I must have something wrong. What to do ??

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
I tried this again and reformatted the usb to fat32to make sure and I am still getting
artist>songs

but have it configured

genre>artist>songs the genre does not show up. I must have something wrong. What to do ??
Thanks you.

Made me look at something I hadn't paid attention to and then learn something today!

My usb is organized by artist>album>songs.

It does have several artists that have multiple albums.

With the usb plugged the bike offers sort by folder or by song -- but not by artist.
It does show the all the albums for those artists that have multiples.

So I check the manual, page 98.
Sure enough,it says for usb it will only offer folders sorted by album or by song.

If it has an bluetooth connection or an iPod it says folders will be there for [Artists] ? [Albums] ? [Playlist] ? [Songs] ? [Genres].

So, made a second copy of the music (about 45 hours of mp3's) on my (android) phone. Turns out that space on the phone is not an issue - used about 4GB for the 45 hours and phone still has between 35 and 40B free.

When bluetooth is selected as the bikes source, it displays folders for the items listed in the manual.

So far it's very slow to respond. Possibly because of the large amount folders and song titles to transfer?

The good news is that using the bluetooth connection and when an album is selected -- it plays in the song order from the album rather than alphabetically like it was doing from the usb input.

Bad news is response for it to load the info (album/artist/song name) to the bike seems VERY slow. Hopefully this is just for the initial load - I've encountered similar issue on other digital players.

Clearly more test/experimenting is required.
I'll try and update after further trial.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you.

Made me look at something I hadn't paid attention to and then learn something today!

My usb is organized by artist>album>songs.

It does have several artists that have multiple albums.

With the usb plugged the bike offers sort by folder or by song -- but not by artist.
It does show the all the albums for those artists that have multiples.

So I check the manual, page 98.
Sure enough,it says for usb it will only offer folders sorted by album or by song.

If it has an bluetooth connection or an iPod it says folders will be there for [Artists] ? [Albums] ? [Playlist] ? [Songs] ? [Genres].

So, made a second copy of the music (about 45 hours of mp3's) on my (android) phone. Turns out that space on the phone is not an issue - used about 4GB for the 45 hours and phone still has between 35 and 40B free.

When bluetooth is selected as the bikes source, it displays folders for the items listed in the manual.

So far it's very slow to respond. Possibly because of the large amount folders and song titles to transfer?

The good news is that using the bluetooth connection and when an album is selected -- it plays in the song order from the album rather than alphabetically like it was doing from the usb input.

Bad news is response for it to load the info (album/artist/song name) to the bike seems VERY slow. Hopefully this is just for the initial load - I've encountered similar issue on other digital players.

Clearly more test/experimenting is required.
I'll try and update after further trial.
You are correct my friend, only one folder and it must contain songs, as manual states folders>songs
Sure spent a bunch of time wasted with that. The sad thing is if I do want to have subfolders I have to deal with itunes, not fun, plus now I wish I would have purchased the 512 x max not the 64
Live and learn

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
You are correct my friend, only one folder and it must contain songs, as manual states folders>songs
Sure spent a bunch of time wasted with that. The sad thing is if I do want to have subfolders I have to deal with itunes, not fun, plus now I wish I would have purchased the 512 x max not the 64
Live and learn

I'm not sure we're looking at this the same way (or I'm missing something).
I have lots of folders and subfolders.

Each of my folders contains the songs from a single album. (ok, some are 2 or more disk sets)

The bike will play from any and all of them. It doesn't matter if they are a top level directory/folder or a subdirectory/folder -- they still show up in the folders list and can be selected to play.

From the USB, it plays them alphabetically, instead of in in the numbered order they were on the album.

- If the folders tab is selected - it plays the songs form that folder and stops. The LH 4-way can then be used to advance to the next folder in the folder list -- or to select what folder to play next.

- If the songs tab is active, it will play all songs on the usb, in alpha order (unless random/shuffle is activated)

I used itunes on a windows machine to do the file conversions, but any app capable of the conersions could have been used.

Files can be re-organized on the usb using any application that can move files.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts