GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2018 GL-T and excited about the new ride. I've read the Owner's manual (IT'S dry!!) and specifically I need details on the use of the USB memory stick for music storage,
I have purchased three (3) separate USB sticks, formatted each as described in the manual. I've added MP# music files (unsure what ID3v2 is all about) and when I install the USB in the bike, it is not recognized as a source of music ( the USB icon is greyed out, indicating the USB isn't recognized.
Anyone care to share?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mine works great
Can’t remember exactly what I did though
I believe it’s same one I just send on my ‘15 gw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Make sure you format it with FAT32. NTFS works too, apparently, but FAT32 is recommended.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've formated it exFAT as recommended. that's the default format scheme on my computer.

Are the files to be configured in a particular way?

·
Registered
62 Posts
ExFAT wouldn’t work for me... try FAT32

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Page 92 has the recommendations for formattting. No mention of exFAT. (NFTS is required for the nav update, even though it is also not mentioned in the OM)

From page 92 - "File systems - FAT32 (recommendation), FAT16, HFS+"

I have used both NFTS and FAT32 successfully for mp3's.

I have not tried exFAT.

(copied my FAT32 audio stick to the NFTS one used for the update just to test)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have a 64G USB drive, NTFS was the only real option I could use for that size (done on Win7). I have an "MP3" directory off of root and below that is directories of "Artist" and below that is directories of "Album". The files are all MP3 or art or "MP-" renamed to skip title for about 5 songs. I also have the update file on it renamed as *-installed-MMDDYY. The only problem I had with it was not formatting NTFS first. I tried others and sat through the 10-15 minutes to put my music on only to have it not work. Only one format type did not take that much time because it cut the available space in half due to limits of the format type. I saw it only had 30G total space and went straight to the next format type. The only other potential problem cause.... Formatted with a Mac, Linux, or Windows 7 or 10.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts