GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the GL1800 Plug&Play Cigarette Lighter w/Weather Cap in my left pocket and a Kensington Mini Car Charger for Mobile Devices with USB Port.

I currently plug my Blackberry power cable into the Mini Car Charger USB Port and the Blackberry Mini USB port, but it makes the pocket tight.

I am wondering why I cannot just tap the 12V power line with the following USB cable, thus getting rid of the lighter, USB power adapter, and just have this USB open lead in the pocket? Has anyone else done this, and if so, what leads on the picture below would be the +12V and ground. Any other suggestions for powering up a Blackberry in the left pocket (I need it there for the Cellset Intercom Integration and for playing MP3's).

·
Registered
507 Posts
This doesn't answer your question, but I'd be very leary of putting my cellphone in either fairing pocket because of heat. I do put my Ipod Nano in the left pocket and haven't had any issues but it does get pretty hot in there.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Because USB is 5vDC

You would need to add at least a 5V regulator so you may as well just use what you have, you could connect wires direct to the Kensington unit you have insulate it and direct wire it

Pete

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I have the GL1800 Plug&Play Cigarette Lighter w/Weather Cap in my left pocket and a Kensington Mini Car Charger for Mobile Devices with USB Port.

I currently plug my Blackberry power cable into the Mini Car Charger USB Port and the Blackberry Mini USB port, but it makes the pocket tight.

I am wondering why I cannot just tap the 12V power line with the following USB cable, thus getting rid of the lighter, USB power adapter, and just have this USB open lead in the pocket? Has anyone else done this, and if so, what leads on the picture below would be the +12V and ground. Any other suggestions for powering up a Blackberry in the left pocket (I need it there for the Cellset Intercom Integration and for playing MP3's).

Doesn't the cigarette lighter reduce the volts from 12 to what ever is needed for your Blackberry ?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How Hot

This doesn't answer your question, but I'd be very leary of putting my cellphone in either fairing pocket because of heat. I do put my Ipod Nano in the left pocket and haven't had any issues but it does get pretty hot in there.
The Blackberry must be able to withstand high heat conditions as it was in there last year when I rode south several days in 98F+. I suspect that the Blackberries can withstand some high heat because of the potential of being left in cars where the heat can get in excess of 130F.

Now that you have made a point to bring that to my attention, I will most likely not keep it there in extremely hot riding days. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed

Because USB is 5vDC

You would need to add at least a 5V regulator so you may as well just use what you have, you could connect wires direct to the Kensington unit you have insulate it and direct wire it

Pete
Agreed the KISS principle, I have all the working parts and that would accomplish the same. Thanks, I forgot about it being 12V -> 5V...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
You need the unit that plugs into the lighter receptacle to get USB 5 Volt accessory power. Tapping 12 Volts to a USB plug will make lots of smoke:eek:4:. I have this type for my Iphone. The Iphone is mounted on my right handlebar so I can watch live animated weather. The box is a waterproof type by RAM. The converter is under the shelter in the bump left of the right storage box. You need to remove the right storage box to install it. (it is wrapped with Velcro and stays wedged up there). It is stuck in a free floating lighter plug. The lighter plug has a wire connected to the bikes accessory system. The adapter has a built in fuse. I fished the wire along the handlebars and it stays plugged into the phone. The USB power adapter I use is made by GRIFFIN. Your item plug will probably look different (like a USB plug) for your accessory. It would work the same for the left pocket. I hope I understood the question :shrug:. Under $20.

·
Registered
662 Posts
:agree:it gets very hot in those pockets. :eek:4:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need the unit that plugs into the lighter receptacle to get USB 5 Volt accessory power. Tapping 12 Volts to a USB plug will make lots of smoke:eek:4:. I have this type for my Iphone. The Iphone is mounted on my right handlebar so I can watch live animated weather. The box is a waterproof type by RAM. The converter is under the shelter in the bump left of the right storage box. You need to remove the right storage box to install it. (it is wrapped with Velcro and stays wedged up there). It is stuck in a free floating lighter plug. The lighter plug has a wire connected to the bikes accessory system. The adapter has a built in fuse. I fished the wire along the handlebars and it stays plugged into the phone. The USB power adapter I use is made by GRIFFIN. Your item plug will probably look different (like a USB plug) for your accessory. It would work the same for the left pocket. I hope I understood the question :shrug:. Under $20.
Intersting! I have alway wanted to RAM mount my Blackberry Bold for the same reasons you have indicated as well as it will allows me access to XFM, and streaming MP3's through the OEM intercom!

Do you have a picture of your bike with the RAM mount as you have setup on the right side. I am a bit shy about adding a do-dad to my handlebar for the Bold and thus have it in the left pocket which makes access near impossible unless I am off the bike (which is safer).

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Iphone Install uses a 1" ball mount. I put the cradle in the Aqua Box to make in and out easy with no alignment problems. Ram makes a horizontal box and cradles for most other phones or whatever. Visit the RAM site.

The Garmin GPS on the left Handlebar. Also a 1" RAM ball mount used :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Nice, Gatorwing, Nice. Kudos.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Iphone Install uses a 1" ball mount. I put the cradle in the Aqua Box to make in and out easy with no alignment problems. Ram makes a horizontal box and cradles for most other phones or whatever. Visit the RAM site.

:thumbup: I really appreciate the detailed pictures and various part numbers. It gives me some ideas for a winter project. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Very nice, Gatorwing. :)

FWIW, the AquaBox has provisions on the back of the mount for the cabling to exit the mount under the round (B-202) base and these knockouts (one in each mounting axis so that it can be at the bottom) allow the case to breathe but still be covered by the RAM base.

This might keep the next person from having to install the vent grommet in the front of the lexan.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Very nice work Gatorwing. It shows a high attention to detail. I like that.

I thought I was done with my electrical work, but you just reminded me that I need to spiral wrap my GPS wiring like you did.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a USB cable coming up between the bars where I mount my iPhone.

I got a cig. lighter plug with a USB adapter in the end of it. (I'll soon be replacing the single outlet adapter with a double so I can run 2 devices.

I took apart the plug to expose the guts and soldered a wire to the power terminals on the opened up plug. The positive lead is the center terminal on the plug. These wires go to the battery or a switch, whichever you prefer, with a fuse in line if there isn't one built into the plug.

Take a USB cable, or 2, and plug it into the receptacle in the plug you dismembered. Now, coat the whole unit in hot melt glue to seal it against the weather. Don't forget to coat the USB well to seal it and keep it in place. Hide the plug where ever you want and run your USB cable(s) up to the pocket or the bars.

Has worked fine for me to plug in my iPhone and my Lowrance gps.

Jeff in dark, warm Naples, FL

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Very nice, Gatorwing. :)

FWIW, the AquaBox has provisions on the back of the mount for the cabling to exit the mount under the round (B-202) base and these knockouts (one in each mounting axis so that it can be at the bottom) allow the case to breathe but still be covered by the RAM base.

This might keep the next person from having to install the vent grommet in the front of the lexan.
Hi Jon...I noticed the knockouts however the coiled wire from the mounting area looked ugly and I couldn't figure a nice way to handle the slack when turning bars "lock to lock". I just made a "U" slot at the bottom for the charging cable. The hole in the front was originally for pressing the button on the face of the phone but that idea flopped :oops: so I put the solid rubber grommet in and called it a vent. I also drilled (2) 1/8" holes in the lower bottom floor of the box so any water that gets in can drain out. With the cradle holding the phone, the door can be left open while riding so the touch screen menu is usable for Internet stuff. I would suggest trying a "lock to lock" test while stopped so there are no surprises like a scratched windshield. Not even a good idea to play with the touch screen while moving and I never do it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts