GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you are racing on a closed course on Pikes Peak, you can ride 100 mph and use the WHOLE FREAKING ROAD! Check it out for some freewheeling fun.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Was that @ChrisE ?

Red Multistrada with a foreign accent going fast up a mountain road....it must be. :)

Although....sounded more like an Aussie than a Brit...

Reactions: ChrisE

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I'm headed out to Colorado this Summer with the Wing and Escapade trailer. Based on the video, is it safe to think that the road up to Pike's Peak Summit is paved now all the way?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

IS

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It is paved all the way, but probably the scariest road I have been on. Few guardrails, and it looks like infinity off one side of the road all the way up. If you don't like heights (and I REALLY don't) think seriously. OTOH, if you make it up (I did) the view is spectacular. Now, the ride down........Oh, boy!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Was that @ChrisE ?

Red Multistrada with a foreign accent going fast up a mountain road....it must be. :) I wish

Although....sounded more like an Aussie than a Brit...
He's from Huddersfield, about 70 miles north west of Lincoln,where I'm from.

see above

·
Registered
444 Posts
Last two times I was there, we was at the toll gate when they open. Sure was nice to blast to the top with no one in front of us! As previously stated, they make you leave your trailer at the bottom.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Yes, it paved all the way to the top.

May be a good idea to lock the trailer up at the bottom.......had an acquaintance who was two up on a wing pulling a trailer......he had some overheating issues.

There is a place at the bottom to lock your trailer up, just past the booth where you pay admission.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great ride up and back. Made the run up this September on the way to Rockies gold. Had to leave my uni-go trailer at the bottom. Good road pavement concidering the amount of frost they have. 68 degrees at the bottom. 37 degrees at the top on the morning I went. Great view from the top. Very much worth the time to go.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
It is paved all the way, but probably the scariest road I have been on. Few guardrails, and it looks like infinity off one side of the road all the way up. If you don't like heights (and I REALLY don't) think seriously. OTOH, if you make it up (I did) the view is spectacular. Now, the ride down........Oh, boy!
Thanks for your reply. Yes, we are scared of heights, but we managed to ride up Mt. Evans to 14,264' twice without an issue. Once in the car (I think that I was the only driver to use lower gears on the descent, despite many signs suggesting to do so, as I smelled burnt brake pads from cars in front of me), and once on my Goldwing, several years later. Because I had more room to maneuver the Wing in my lane vs. my car, I felt safer on the Wing.

My wife, well, she had white knuckles while riding in our car, both up and down, but felt much more comfortable riding the Wing on the highest paved road in the US.

If you're fortunate to go there, the view at the top is indeed spectacular, as we happened to be there on a cloudless day and because we were wearing ADGATT we seemed to be the only ones that weren't freezing in the 35* temperatures at the top. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,103 Posts
Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts