GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure others have figured this out but just in case; if you want to use Apple CarPlay without having a Bluetooth helmet there is a $5 way to get around it.

The 5 Below stores sell a Bluetooth adapter (to use with a wired headset). Its a little puck you can just toss in your storage, tricks the bike into thinking you have a headset installed (you technically do) and will enable the use of CarPlay. You could also just velcro it somewhere since the microphone on it will work for Siri input.

I personally use an old Sony Bluetooth adapter on mine when I don't feel like taking my BT helmet.

Also... I hate CarPlay... Why oh why do we not have Android Auto supported yet! I picked up a used iPhone for long touring trips since it still beats using Honda's Infotainment System (Honda, I'm a UX designer by trade, I will design a better UI for you for free if you just use it lol).

Anyway, hope this rant helps. Sorry if this is a dupe post.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm sure others have figured this out but just in case; if you want to use Apple CarPlay without having a Bluetooth helmet there is a $5 way to get around it.

The 5 Below stores sell a Bluetooth adapter (to use with a wired headset). Its a little puck you can just toss in your storage, tricks the bike into thinking you have a headset installed (you technically do) and will enable the use of CarPlay. You could also just velcro it somewhere since the microphone on it will work for Siri input.

I personally use an old Sony Bluetooth adapter on mine when I don't feel like taking my BT helmet.

Also... I hate CarPlay... Why oh why do we not have Android Auto supported yet! I picked up a used iPhone for long touring trips since it still beats using Honda's Infotainment System (Honda, I'm a UX designer by trade, I will design a better UI for you for free if you just use it lol).

Anyway, hope this rant helps. Sorry if this is a dupe post.
this is probably dumb, but couldnt I just place my cardo in the trunk? or does it have to be connected to the helmet in order for it to work? ill try it out tonight

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is probably dumb, but couldnt I just place my cardo in the trunk? or does it have to be connected to the helmet in order for it to work? ill try it out tonight
Yes, as long as the gold wing thinks your connected it will work. This was just a cheap option for those who don't own any bluetooth devices. I've done the same thing with an old LG BT earpiece ( paired it then left it in that little side compartment).

·
Registered
153 Posts

ynotscoot what is ??????

I'm a UX designer by trade, I will design a better UI

Sorry to sound dumb but Ive never heard of it .
Thanks for the BT tip though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ynotscoot what is ??????

I'm a UX designer by trade, I will design a better UI

Sorry to sound dumb but Ive never heard of it .
Thanks for the BT tip though
I figure out how people interact with software and then design how it should look and function.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have no issues with CarPlay or Apple and would never use android
Have on my bike and car
To each his own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
I throw my UClear in the storage whenever I'm wearing a helmet without speakers. Works perfectly all the time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
To the OP: You Sir are a genius! I am an diehard Apple fan and love CarPlay. I have it in my truck and of course on the Wing. I hate having to wear a BT headset just to get the CarPlay features eventhough I rarely use the headset speakers. I picked up a BT receiver last night, synced it, then mounted it in the trunk. Works like a dream. No more issues when I forget to put the headset on my helmet or forget to charge it.

One note with the BT receiver I got off Amazon, link below. This unit is rechargeable but........ I installed an always on USB power plug in the trunk a while back for phone and BT headset charging. If you connect the BT receiver to it for charging you can leave it connected and powered on all the time. It will fully charge the unit and after 20 minutes with no BT signal from the bike it will go to sleep. To wake it up you just hit the play button and it will sync back up once the bike BT runs through its initialization process on startup

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JBLGLB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
To the OP: You Sir are a genius! I am an diehard Apple fan and love CarPlay. I have it in my truck and of course on the Wing. I hate having to wear a BT headset just to get the CarPlay features eventhough I rarely use the headset speakers. I picked up a BT receiver last night, synced it, then mounted it in the trunk. Works like a dream. No more issues when I forget to put the headset on my helmet or forget to charge it.

One note with the BT receiver I got off Amazon, link below. This unit is rechargeable but........ I installed an always on USB power plug in the trunk a while back for phone and BT headset charging. If you connect the BT receiver to it for charging you can leave it connected and powered on all the time. It will fully charge the unit and after 20 minutes with no BT signal from the bike it will go to sleep. To wake it up you just hit the play button and it will sync back up once the bike BT runs through its initialization process on startup

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JBLGLB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again!!!
great tip. thanks! why didnt you just put your headset in the trunk since you already have it, instead of buying this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just got back from 5 Below...found the adapter - now gonna try it out. We have Sena Evos, but don't always have the helmets on. Since my phone is paired to the bike, and my headset will be, also, I'll just pair the adapter to the passenger - no need for that HS to be paired to the bike, as they are paired to each other for intercom...

Thx OP - it's a simple solution but one that was eluding my simple mind :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have no issues with CarPlay or Apple and would never use android
Have on my bike and car
To each his own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup CarPlay works great and I use it almost every time I ride. There is no Android version because Google was not interested. Not the fault of Honda or Apple.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's a stupid question (only because I haven't had a chance to actually go check it myself...)...do you have to pair the BT adapter to the Rider's headset pairing on the wing, or doesn't it matter, as long as one is paired??

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
Please note this will not work with Sena model SRL units

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My question is if you have a headset why not use it? Apple Car Play is obviously much more than just getting a different Navigation displayed - its the ability to make phone calls, give music and direction commands by voice. The ability to listen to messages and respond. I bit the bullet and purchased 4 new helmets (two 1/2 helmets and two full) each with improvement in circulation and venting.

I really like Apple Car Play and haven't had problems until Sunday. I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise. Traffic was at a stand still and finally would move forward 5-10 ft increments - mostly sitting. I believe temps would have been in the upper 80's but 30miles of cars stacked up 5 lanes in both direction got the temps into mid 90's on the road. Car Play kept disconnecting so I rode with the lid open and disconnected the phone until I got out of town and everything has worked correctly since. I don't think it was the motorcycle, I believe it was my phone getting too hot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts