GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased the MC Power/Audio cable for my new 2720 thinking that the "other" connection on the cable was for audio. I had hoped to connect a speaker to it and mount the speaker on the bike somewhere. But alas, it looks like I have a problem. Can someone tell me if in fact this is an audio output, and do I need to plug in something else to get "Mabel" to talk? It will not be a great loss if she won't speak as I needed the power cable anyway, but I would like to have the option.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Is this the cable you are talking about?

If it is, just plug the Aux cable in your left pocket into the gold connector. Put your radio on Aux and you're working.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Sorry, it's not that simple, Rastoff...

The AUX input is a stereo signal with a 3.5mm plug.

The audio output pigtail on the Garmin M/C cable is a 2.5mm mono jack.

Not only will you need a stereo to mono converter, you'll need an extension cable to reach the back of the GPS (since the pigtail is right behind the unit) and you'll also need to break the ground loop or all you'll hear when you press the 'Speak' button is a garbled hum.

You can install a stand-alone speaker, but you'll have to find one with a 2.5mm plug on it (or adapt it). Some have found small weatherproof speakers at marine supply stores.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rastoff thanks. I don't want to use the Aux connection though, even if it would have fit.

Jon-thank you also. After I made the post (cart before the horse thing) I went searching for solutions. Part of the problem is I have a mount for my co-rider so she can operate the gps from her position. I know, she could use the remote. I have two harnesses to install. I find that Kennedy has a set up, correct me if I am wrong Jon, that would work for the front set up. It would be a Single set and a devise harness. This would plug into the intercom of the bike. For the rear set up I could use the external speaker. Or for the additional cost, a second set up. Don't know which way to go now.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Jon said:
I thought it sounded too simple.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Jon said:

The AUX input is a stereo signal with a 3.5mm plug.

The audio output pigtail on the Garmin M/C cable is a 2.5mm mono jack.

Not only will you need a stereo to mono converter, you'll need an extension cable to reach the back of the GPS (since the pigtail is right behind the unit) and you'll also need to break the ground loop or all you'll hear when you press the 'Speak' button is a garbled hum.

You can install a stand-alone speaker, but you'll have to find one with a 2.5mm plug on it (or adapt it). Some have found small weatherproof speakers at marine supply stores.
Jon;
I really love your 2610 speaker wiring products but I just cant afford one.
Is hooking the Garmin external speaker harness into the "Aux" wire feasible?
You said: "you'll also need to break the ground loop or all you'll hear when you press the 'Speak' button is a garbled hum."
When you say "speak button" what do you mean? The CB transmit button?
I don't see a problem getting a 2.5 to 3.5 MM adapter at Radio shack and they should have an extension as well so I could get from the Garmin pigtail to the “Aux” in speaker connection. (that seems to live somewhere under the left pocket)
As I said, I would love to just buy your product, but I just cant afford it.
Would this “Rube Goldberg” wiring work or should I just buy an ugly external speaker and mount it someplace?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Jon;
I really love your 2610 speaker wiring products but I just can't afford one.
It's simple: All you have to do is sell the Gold Wing, then you'll have plenty of money to pay for accessories!

(If there's a flaw in my plan, I'm sure someone will inform me. ) :a13:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Bob said:
Jon;
I really love your 2610 speaker wiring products but I just can't afford one.
It's simple: All you have to do is sell the Gold Wing, then you'll have plenty of money to pay for accessories!
:p Aint that the truth!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
....When you say "speak button" what do you mean? The CB transmit button?....
In the lower right corner of your Garmin there is a button that says "Speak/Volume." Press and hold that button and you'll get a slider bar on the left side of the display that you can use to set the level of Betty's voice.

As Jon said, if you're not wired correctly you won't hear lovely Betty, just garble.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
Jon;
I really love your 2610 speaker wiring products but I just cant afford one.
They're not my products - I just sell them - they're actually manufactured by Kennedy Technologies.

Is hooking the Garmin external speaker harness into the "Aux" wire feasible?
I guess it depends on how much work you're willing to do and what audio performance you're willing to accept.

Due to the type of audio amplifier used in the StreetPilot units, you'll need to break the ground link between the GPS & the AUX input or all you'll hear is garbled text and you'll evenutally blow the audio output of the GPS.

You can do this by opening up the audio connection cable at some point in your wiring and cutting the shield (ground) wire. Some people have done the same thing by only inserting the 3.5mm plug halfway into the jack, but you'll need to secure it well to prevent it from moving due to vibration.

Keep in mind that connecting this to your AUX input will mean that there will be no audio available until the GPS speaks (the AUX input is dedicated purely to the GPS).

BTW, the Kennedy products to do this in a plug and play fashion list for $80.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Jon said:
BTW, the Kennedy products to do this in a plug and play fashion list for $80.
WHOA............ :shock:
NOW you have my attention :!:
I didnt see anything like that on your site.
Can you post a part number or URL to it???

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Kennedy Part Numbers:
  • AuxSet2 Module - 95391 - $30
    GL1800 AUX input harness - 95340 - $20
    2.5mm mono straight device cable - 95292 - $30
I don't list this as a package on my site because I think I've only sold one set. Most people seem to not want to dedicate the AUX input to just the GPS.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Jon said:
Kennedy Part Numbers:
I don't list this as a package on my site because I think I've only sold one set. Most people seem to not want to dedicate the AUX input to just the GPS.
Jon;
All I will ever use "AUX" for is GPS.
This will probably be my last bike and as long as my 2610 keeps ticking I will not replace it.
I do not have the CD option on the bike, will never get it, and I dont even listen to the radio much less an I-Pod or other device.
So.....
All that being said, If I use the cables above (asuming I can figure out how to hook them up) when ever I have my GPS plugged in and hit the "Aux" button the the tank / dash I hear the GPS vocal prompts through my dash speakers. Yes? (remember I said this needed to be for "dummies")
AND.......
This system will not interfere with my using the radio or CB. Meaning that whenever the GPS squawks at me it will cut the radio or CB sound off and preempt it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
Jon said:
Kennedy Part Numbers:
Jon;
All I will ever use "AUX" for is GPS.
This will probably be my last bike and as long as my 2610 keeps ticking I will not replace it.
I do not have the CD option on the bike, will never get it, and I dont even listen to the radio much less an I-Pod or other device.
So.....
All that being said, If I use the cables above (asuming I can figure out how to hook them up) when ever I have my GPS plugged in and hit the "Aux" button the the tank / dash I hear the GPS vocal prompts through my dash speakers. Yes? (remember I said this needed to be for "dummies")
AND.......
This system will not interfere with my using the radio or CB. Meaning that whenever the GPS squawks at me it will cut the radio or CB sound off and preempt it.
Assuming everything is wired properly, if you have AUX selected you will be hearing GPS vocal prompts through the dash speakers (if selected) OR your headset (if you have those selected).

You won't be able to hear the radio (AM, FM). The selection of AUX overrides the radio function in the audio unit.

You will be able to hear your CB.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

THAT is what I wanted to hear!!!!
Highvoltage;
Thank you!

Jon;
I WILL be calling you to get the "stuff" and (I hope) VERY detailed directions on how to get the "stuff" wired.
As I said before, I have never been under the left pocket and am sure I will freak when I see all those wires.
Maybe I better start looking for someone local who has some knowledge of what is in there and what I need to find to get things plugged in correctly.
Thanks again people!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts