GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leary of using my credit or debit card when traveling. Yesterday I was informed by my credit card bank that I had 2 fradulent charges on my card. This is just after I had used the card on a 3 day trip. So I am thinking prior to a long trip I should get travelers checks.

Now, how easy are they to use today? It seems with our plastic economy some hotels, restaurants, gas stations my not want the travelers checks.

bentrod

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
First of all traveler checks are not free, unless you have an account with a certain bank, but I'm sure that there's a fee if you'd want American Express Travelers Check, there was one the last time I bought them.

When I once traveled to Italy, I received a better exchange rate at a local bank there whenever I used the travelers checks than cash. Their reasoning was that Travelers Checks were guarantied, but cash wasn't. Go figure.

I have a credit card that gives me 5% on fuel and other expenses, so I have no qualms about using it, and the only time that I have found a fraudulent charge on my statement, it was taking care of and it didn't cost me a penny.

Good luck in your travels and ride safely.

Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are better off using a credit card and not a check card or debit card. We have several reports of people using check/ debit cards in Canada and other countries and when they get home they find that their bank account is over drawn. Don’t get me wrong you can get your money back but if you are using bill pay or other electronic banking features and some one tanks your bank account it can cause more problems with your bills.

Some of the credit card companies will give you a card for traveling purposes. You can put in money and then draw off that money when you travel and it does not affect your main credit card or your bank account. Either way don’t use a check/ debit card if you travel far from home or to another country. This is what we tell our victims of Identity Theft.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The last time I used travelers checks was when my wife and I rode to southern CA to visit our daughter and her family in 1999. Didn't have any problems on the way out, but once there many places didn't want to accept them. My wife had to put a $2.50 purchase on the credit card because the business establishment would not take the travelers check. They sometimes looked funny at us even using cash. The kids use a debit card for everthing out there. So, it's the credit card for us. I've had a couple overcharges and a phone call to the card company has straightened it out with no problems.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
We just returned from a Calif to NY and return trip of 30 days....we used the credit card for all fuel and lodging and the majority of food purchases.

No fraud charges on our account.

The ONLY difficulty we had was with Chevron gas stations. Our (and all other riders from out-of-state in the group) were unable to use the card reader on the pump and had to go into each gas station. Solution: stopped purchasing fuel at Chevron.

Traveler's checks are sometimes difficult to use.

Debit cards are the MOST vulnerable when it comes to identify theft and fraud. When some cleans out your checking/saving account using your debit card you are SOL.

If your credit card informed you of the fraud, that is a good thing - they don't want to be stuck with fraud anymore than you do.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I did a 9000 mile ride in June, covering 15 states and 4 Provinces of Canada. I only had one gas station turn down a travelers check in Canada. I had about $2000 in travelers checks with me.

·
Registered
679 Posts
yellowtrike said:
The ONLY difficulty we had was with Chevron gas stations. Our (and all other riders from out-of-state in the group) were unable to use the card reader on the pump and had to go into each gas station. Solution: stopped purchasing fuel at Chevron.
Sure am glad it wasn't only me having that same exact problem... and the fix for it.
(Don't mean to change the subject)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Keep watching your credit card statements some time the fraud charges don’t show up for several months. You should check your credit history at least ones or twice a year and you need to check all three major credit bureaus because they don’t always share information. What is on one might not be on the other two. Identity Theft is the one of the fastest growing crimes in the US.

Credit card companies are not as concerned as you might think. Most will just write off the charges and recoup their loss through higher fees. Just about all the major card companies will not even cooperate with the police unless the amount of the loss is over $20,000.00. I have developed suspects and because the amount was only $2000.00 to $3000.00 the credit card companies would not provide the information or assistance to prosecute. When I finally got in touch with a real person in their fraud dept I was told about the $20,000.00 number. It did not matter that I had suspects identified.

In Texas once the card company has reimbursed the card holder the company is now the victim and the card holder is only a witness. So even though the card holder was reimbursed and the debt was taken off of their statement all card holders eventually make up the credit card companies loss through higher fees and interest rates. Very few credit card fraud cases are prosecuted. Just FYI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts