GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After someone decided to total my Venture, I’m in the market for a “used” GL1800. Either ’06 or ’05. As with any bike purchase, I’m trying to gain sufficient knowledge of which one is better/best/has enough differences to justify the additional dollars. Typically I go new, but I just bough an FJR and need a GL1800 for touring with the wife.

Your positive thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Santa Fe,

You might want to center your search on the 05's since you can get ABS without the other addons (unless you want the NAV, comfort, etc, etc, packages already on it).

Best luck on your search.

JUST MY OPINION - you might want to reduce your sig picture a little. OPINION completed. 8)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hello,I have a 2006,my first Wing.I ahve the comfort package,heated seats ,grips and sound system.Did not want ABS or the Nav.Bought new for 17,000.00.I ahve seen new 2006 now for 16,000.00.If you get a 2005,the aforementioned features are not on it,and fro the price difference,I would go for the 2006.Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If you want the full package look for an '06. If you want a "basic" Wing with the ABS feature the best buy will be an '05. IMHO ABS is a requirement. No ABS= No deal :)

Also your avatar is too fricken big :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just bought a used 05 ABS - it was a very low milage (3400) and had lots of options and accessories - so it made $$ sense.

I don't think there were any significant changes from 05 to 06 except the packaging of options (so you had to buy what you didn't want in order to get what you did want).

I don't think it really matters in your case, as long as you find the bike you want and the price you want.

Carl

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Rickster said:
If you want the full package look for an '06. If you want a "basic" Wing with the ABS feature the best buy will be an '05. IMHO ABS is a requirement. No ABS= No deal :)
Ditto to that

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used 2005 ABS a few weeks ago which had 5,600 miles. I feel I got a fair deal but the bike had a number of small cosmetic problems. But... it was with options to offset the blemishes. Had I not found the 2005 with all the goodies, I would have mostly bit the bullet and bought a new 2006. From what I can tell, aside from the option packaging, there are few differences in the 05 and 06 models. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
11 Posts
06 Wing

I have an 06 with everything but ABS and love it. The other difference is the sound system 80 watts per channel with larger front speakers. Good luck I love my 1800.

·
Registered
657 Posts
06 audio

Don't forget in addition to the larger (with tweeters) front speakers, the rear speakers are no longer optional, they come standard with the bike. The dash is different as well. Also the muffler just shows one pipe now coming out (previously it showed three...two fake and the actual one).
Dennis

·
Registered
126 Posts
by an 02 for $11000 or less and use the savings for gas.i bought an02 2 years ago with 76000 miles now has 90000 miles,no problems,took it to alaska two up from n.m. 8500 miles round trip,never skipped a beat and we rode in rain for 4 days. xx

·
Registered
408 Posts
Go for the '06. The comfort package is well worth it IMHO, and the larger radiators seemed to have solved the overheating issue. I was just caught in stop and go labor-day weekend traffic at Mrytle Beach in 90 degree sun and high humidity for at least an hour. My temp gauge never went above normal (as the fans did their job well). My buddy next to me on his HD Ultra, sweated as his oil temp rose above 270 F. We had to pull over to let the HD cool off. :oops:

·
Registered
428 Posts
O5

I live in Las Vegas, NV where we get 110 degrees for a week straight....or more. My O5 has NEVER climed above the horizontal on the gauge. Usually at least two needle widths below unless I am in Death Valley at 120 degrees.

They solved the mapping of the heating problem in the O5 as far as I'm concerned.

I do not care for ABS. I want the control.

·
Registered
657 Posts
For Nludvigson

Quick, head for the hills, you just set yourself up for a lot of heat for that remark:
"I do not care for ABS. I want the control."

While I am like you, I can take or leave ABS, if it is on the Wing already, it is not a sticking point holding up a sale, I feel it is worth the extra cost, but if I'm pressed for time (want the Wing NOW kinda pressed for time) and it is not on it, I"ll go ahead and buy it anyway. I do recognize it's value. But to me there are a lot more factors in riding a Wing safely than just "I've got ABS, therefore I'm totally prepared for anything and if you don't you're not" type of mindset. It is an added feature that will add to your arsenal of riding defensively...and aggressively. But to say "I want the control" I wouldn't even go there.
Good luck, maybe this thread will pass under the radar, as even with my position on ABS I'll probably still catch some heat myself.
Dennis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts