GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after much debate... I finally found a deal I couldn't resist.

On the LD Riders mailing list there was a post about a "hardly used" SPIII Deluxe with all the original stuff with it for $500, shipping included.

Turns out "barely used" was it being used only in preparation for and participation in the 2003 Iron Butt Rally, by Rick Williams (4 time IBR participant). He got it last xmas, used it through the rally, and hasn't used it since.

So, I finally upgraded to the SPIII from my GPS V! :D

Now I just gotta figure out how I am going to mount it. Not sure if I'll get another VP dash mount. I liked that location for my GPS V, so it should work for my SPIII, since it is bigger & in color.

I was VERY tempted to spend the extra $250 and get the 2610. But that is $250 that I can put towards my fuel cell... so it is a good compromise!

The really bad part is I gotta wait until I get home in MARCH to play with it :? :(

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike,

Dr. Rob bought the VP dash mount and did not like it at all. Rob was not impressed with the mounting of it either. Seems you have to tape it to the dash, so when you remove your GPS, you have this "fugly" mount stareing at you. Plus this mount did have noticeable vibration.

If I wanted my GPS in front of me, I think that I would take a look at the "texelent" mount. I have not seen one in person, but I like the concept.

For me, the "ram" mount on my handle bars was more than sufficient. But to each his own.

I am only adding my 2 cents worth, cause I am sure, by the end of this thread you will have at least a bucks worth of opinions, (all good) I am sure.

Also, without the Kennedy GPS set, the audible portion of your rig is useless on the bike.

Congrats on your upgrade. Hope this is not all that Santa is going to get you...LOL

Hope that you are doing well, working your way to your DEROS.

Comrade Bulldog

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey 'dog
You know your 2¢ is worth at least a nickel to me :a13:

I've got one of the older model Cellsets that had the dual inputs... not sure what the problem was or why they stopped making them that way, but I guess I'll find out if mine works... lol

I never had a problem with my VP mount for the GPS V... but then the SPIII is bigger, so maybe that would be a problem.

Not sure about the Texelent. I use a small tank bag, so I don't think I could use both.

Guess I'll have to give the RAM mount a try.

Time is passing fairly quickly... been a month already. Problem is I keep finding stuff for the bike... I am not gonna have time to ride shen I get home, gonna be too busy doing projects... lol

Thanks bro!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hey Mike,

If you want it in front of you and you don't want to trust the VP tape mount, we could make one like mine for yours. It takes an hour or so to install, but it's rock-solid (and metal).

The Texelent system looks nice, too and gives you room to mount more toys. I like having it in my line of sight, but to each his own. :)

Hope things are going well for you!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jon said:
If you want it in front of you and you don't want to trust the VP tape mount, we could make one like mine for yours. It takes an hour or so to install, but it's rock-solid (and metal).
I liked the dash mount location on my GPS V, so if'n you got a good idea, I'd sure love to hear it! Metal is good!! :D

Plus, I've already got a hole in my dash & the wires run to that location... all the more reason to keep it there!!!

You can shoot me an email if you want...
Should have know... Jon's got a solution for everything!!! 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
SP111 Mount

IBMike
I cant get away from this tiny type,I to like too see the SP111 infront of me.I dont care for the VP mount.It vibrates to much. Might try Jon"s device. Hope your back intime for the NW rally,(2.5Mi club). :D . Haven't see Mr Robert Shilling on here since thr new board was started. Did Quickdraw ever finish the CD he was working on.I know with the garage and work he had been busy. With the new board I've lost my contacts.
roger/orangestreak :eek:w1: :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an Emap, and have been thinking about a new GPS for a couple of years now, but just haven't been able to justify to myself why I need a new one. This has been working well for me so far. I have a Ram mount on my right handlebar, then a 9" Ram flex arm mount to my GPS. It is mounted in the center of the windshield, below my line of sight and above my guages. I don't need to lower my head to read the screen. I have bifocals and all it takes is for me to lower my eyes, so is very easy to read. I have put on over 30, 000 miles with it mounted this way, and haven't had a problem reading it or looking where I am going.

I just figured out how to paste a pic here, so here it is. If you would like to see a pic of the mount. I can take a better pic of the setup , if desired.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mike - I used the V & P dash mount quite successfully for the last year and about 40,000 miles, but knew that one day I would want to redo some aspects of the dash mount for additional equipment. For me, I prefer to keep the GPS and radar unit I now have very visable and where I don't have to lower my eyes too far from the road where I mainly concentrate. I also wanted to improve on the support for the mount and also keep it more steady and remove any little shaking. With nothing commercially available, I adapted the upper portion of the V & P mount and built a platform with more bracing both below and above and for me it's worked out great. There's plenty of room for both the SPIII and my Valentine One, all of the equipment is extremely secure and there is virtually no shaking while driving, and most importantly I see each very clearly, plus an added bonus the SPIII is about 3 inches closer.

Maybe not what your looking for, but just a option.

DaleC

[/img]

·
Registered
61 Posts
IB Mike I have a Kennedy GPS Set for you!

IB Mike:

I sold my SPIII last week,I have my
Kennedy GPS Set available for sale, a neat combination cable to supply audio & power to the unit without ugly cables running all over the place.

Let me know if your interested!
-David

75.00 and I'll pay the shipping.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: IB Mike I have a Kennedy GPS Set for you!

David West said:
IB Mike:

I sold my SPIII last week,I have my
Kennedy GPS Set available for sale, a neat combination cable to supply audio & power to the unit without ugly cables running all over the place.

Let me know if your interested!
-David

75.00 and I'll pay the shipping.
David,
I'll keep you in mind, but hopefully you'll have it sold before I get home and need it.

I have the older model Kennedy Cellset, when they used to come with an input for radar detector and GPS audio. I know they quit making them that way, and went to a single input. Anyone know why?

So hopefully mine will work and I won't need to go the GPSSet route...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AL2000 said:
Mike, V1, SPIII, Fuels Cell? You planning a little ride?

Oh buy the way, radar is illigal in much of Canada. LOL
lol... why, yes I am!
Been wanting a fuel cell, just hate stopping at 200 miles. Won't be able to use it on the TC, since I'll have my daughter with me. But I am thinking of doing the Minn. LD Riders group B2B, and would like to do a BBG3k this year too.

That and I am going to make a point of trying to do at least one rally this year, get my feet wet and have some fun!

It IS all your fault! If I hadn't stumbled across your & Jason's posts about LD riding, read your ride reports, and got pointed in the direction of the MTF, I'd be several thousand $$ richer... but I'd also be untold thousands of "s"miles short... so I think it is a fair trade! :D

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
RAM Mount

Some folks don't like things like this on the handlebars, but I really like having my SPIII on a RAM mount on the left handlebar. It is actually close enough that I can easily read it, and surprisingly enough, I'm actually not looking down too much to do it. I have used it so much tht I know the buttons well. Have about 15k miles on it with no problem.

I use the Kennedy cable for input for both my radar detector and the SPIII. Works very well, but only into the headsets, not the speakers.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: RAM Mount

wingnutzz said:

I use the Kennedy cable for input for both my radar detector and the SPIII. Works very well, but only into the headsets, not the speakers.
Cool, thanks for the info. I know they changed the set up so it can only do one noe, but I never heard why. Glad to know the older ones work!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts