GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified the tubes or removed the tubes leading to the vents to try and get warm air out of them?
It was last spring when I last had the top shelter off and I don't remember where the tubes start from, outside vent or where ever? The service manual doesn't show a picture of them, nothing not even how to remove or replace them.

I was thinking that if a person was to cut the top out of the tube so hot air from the radiators could enter them you may be able to some heat out of them? Or if you took the tubes out maybe air pressure would push warm air out the vents?

Don't want to go with Baker wind wings or Tulsa ones, just want to improve whats already there.

Just wondering if anybody has tried to improve them or have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Very little warm air comes out and the colder it gets the less you'll get, modifing I guess would be block off the grills with foam , But not enought to over heat the engine.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
I just took the front apart on my 04 and observed that the tubes for this vent enters from the front bypasses over the radiator and onto the shin. The air doesn't stay in the tube long enough to pick up any hear worth mentioning. Blocking the vent wouldn't do anything at all to the engine.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
seems like the only way to find out for sure if it works would b to cut open the tubes, heat was nice on the 1500 but lots of folks said it was useless, i do use the vents for cooling in hot weather but don't think they help much

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Cockleburr said:
Has anyone modified the tubes or removed the tubes leading to the vents to try and get warm air out of them?
It was last spring when I last had the top shelter off and I don't remember where the tubes start from, outside vent or where ever? The service manual doesn't show a picture of them, nothing not even how to remove or replace them.

I was thinking that if a person was to cut the top out of the tube so hot air from the radiators could enter them you may be able to some heat out of them? Or if you took the tubes out maybe air pressure would push warm air out the vents?

Don't want to go with Baker wind wings or Tulsa ones, just want to improve whats already there.

Just wondering if anybody has tried to improve them or have any ideas?
Of course they're useless as hot air vents. They're cold air vents. That's their intent. If you modify them, you'll get hot air during the summer also.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Wanderer said:
Of course they're useless as hot air vents. They're cold air vents. That's their intent.
FYI... The 2006 Owners Manual refers to them as WARM AIR VENTS!

I can't tell they move any air, warm or cold. LOL!! :?

·
Registered
439 Posts
They are warm air vents, at about 50 degrees you can get a little warm air to loosen up the hands . If I need the room I don't think It would hurt any thing to take them out, I don;t know for sure . I think Quickdraw has taken out his to make room for toys .

G

·
On my 02 they do pass warm air, but for all practical purposes they are worthless.

Dress appropriately and you will stay warm. After all, it is a motorcycle. :roll: :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I suspect we're talking apples and oranges here folks. The '06 has opening vents down by the feet similar to what the 1500 SE has. I don't believe earlier 1800's had these vents. I suspect that is what Cockleburr is talking about.

My opening vents are marginal for warm air but it is warmer than nothing. The other (knee) vents I believe are for cold air. There are no dash vents in the '06.

G

·
Crossrodes said:
I suspect we're talking apples and oranges here folks. The '06 has opening vents down by the feet similar to what the 1500 SE has. I don't believe earlier 1800's had these vents. I suspect that is what Cockleburr is talking about.

My opening vents are marginal for warm air but it is warmer than nothing. The other (knee) vents I believe are for cold air. There are no dash vents in the '06.
Yup. I am aware of the lower warm air vents on the 06.

Better than nothing is still nothing, and they won't do diddly to keep you warm if you aren't dressed right. The warm air coming from any of those vents at 50MPH + is totally useless.

I sure don't expect them to warm me at all. And they never have.

End of story.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
501 Posts
They did not work very well on 1500 either. From what I've read about the '07 HD, it sounds like they have heated air, heat both summer & winter......LOL

·
Registered
51 Posts
i just removed the tubes and blocked the vents from the inside with duct tape, no warm air, no cold air, i like it

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Crossrodes said:

I'm talking about the vents in the back bottom side of the shelter, not the ones at the feet coming from the exhaust covers. Honda calls the lower vents in the fairing/shelter "warm air " vents. :roll:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Red said:
Wanderer said:
Of course they're useless as hot air vents. They're cold air vents. That's their intent.
FYI... The 2006 Owners Manual refers to them as WARM AIR VENTS!

I can't tell they move any air, warm or cold. LOL!! :?
Thanks for that info. In the 2005 manual it says:

The windshield ventilation louver and the side ventilation louvers are used to direct the flow of fresh air.

I know the 2006 and up don't have the top "louvers" but didn't know the lower ones were now "warm air vents". I wonder if Honda really changed anything?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
the best way to get warm air is to get a set of baker air wings you can adjust them to devert all the hot air coming through the radiator onto you.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I removed my duct work to my vents a long time ago. They were useless and now I have more room for my stuff, such as wiring. Make sure you block off the entrance to the tubes.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The 06 vent, is fesh air vent, but now the tube runs by the exit side of the radator. In theory it would/could pick up some heat, there by being "warm air vents". As we all know Honda sometimes has a weird way of looking at things.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Yup. I am aware of the lower warm air vents on the 06.

Better than nothing is still nothing, and they won't do diddly to keep you warm if you aren't dressed right. The warm air coming from any of those vents at 50MPH + is totally useless.

I sure don't expect them to warm me at all. And they never have.

End of story.

Ride safe.[/quote]

Yours must be stopped up because mine worked great all last winter with reg boots and sox in mid 20s. They worked to good the other day riding with tennies forgot i had them open til my feet started getting HOT.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bulldog said:
I think they are just "Dead Ducts"....LOL

Dawg
I think you just hit the nail right on the head Bulldog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts