GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 2012 top box by the amplifier, there is a USB connector that the manual says we can plug our IPOD, or a USB memory stick with MP3's on it. Well today I tried plugging in my smart phone to see if the bike would work with it. I found that the bike plays the music on the phone. But in addition, the phone indicates that the bike is charging it.

Here I was worried that I had to put in a cig outlet just to charge my phone on the road. Low and behold, we have a built in cell phone charger! :excited:

Has anyone else tried this?

Has anyone else used this connector?

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's good to know. :thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have tried a Zune, Zen and Ipod touch in the USB cord.
The Ipod Touch works and the other players do not work.
When using the non apple units "USB ERROR" is displayed on the audio screen.

What model phone are you using ?

Mark H.
2012 blue ABS

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but one of those computer led USB reading lights should work as a trunk light. Would need one with a switch.

Does the USB port have power available all the time?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wonder.....

Got one of those low-tech phones that doesn't have music on it, wonder if the USB plug-in on the Wing would just charge the darn thing? Will try it and let you know.

Has anyone tried to get the accessory screws out of the fuse board? Mine were partially rounded off from the dealer and when I tried to remove them, can see why. Enormously tight, taking it back to the Honda dealer, let them get the damned things out:eek:4:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but one of those computer led USB reading lights should work as a trunk light. Would need one with a switch.

Does the USB port have power available all the time?
Uh oh. This might be one of those things where you have to try to see the guy in the refrigerator turn the light out when you shut the door.:tongue:

Good question though. I do not have the answer, but would like to know. Can't think of an easy way to find out other than check the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
In the 2012 top box by the amplifier, there is a USB connector that the manual says we can plug our IPOD, or a USB memory stick with MP3's on it. Well today I tried plugging in my smart phone to see if the bike would work with it. I found that the bike plays the music on the phone. But in addition, the phone indicates that the bike is charging it.

Here I was worried that I had to put in a cig outlet just to charge my phone on the road. Low and behold, we have a built in cell phone charger! :excited:

Has anyone else tried this?

Has anyone else used this connector?
Now you tell me .... after I installed a cig outlet back there :shock:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EVO and Tonight

I have an EVO Droid smartphone that I originally tested this on.

Tonight I will plug the phone in again and determine if the power is always there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Usb

Whats really cool about the USB connector in the trunk is that you can plug your flash drive in and listen to your mp3's on it and don't have to worry about charging it up......ever!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
225 Posts
We have been traveling with an iPad, and plugging the iPad into the USB connector in the trunk while riding. It works as an iPod (music), and also charges the iPad so it is always fully charged when we stop. Very convenient.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 4 port usb hub pluged in.I play music from 8gb flash drive and charge my gps and phone all at the same time

·
Registered
73 Posts
usb port

I was going to put sattelite radio on my wing but i tried the flash drive port, i bought a 10gb and almost have my whole cd collection on it and you can still controll it from your bar controls, and let me say it sounds awsome very loud and clear 75 mph with zz top on with volume about 27 and its almost to loud(not really but you get what ime saying). have everything on it from waylon to buddy guy to ac/dc and everything in between. put it on random and just let it roll.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
USB Port

I was going to put sattelite radio on my wing but i tried the flash drive port, i bought a 10gb and almost have my whole cd collection on it and you can still controll it from your bar controls, and let me say it sounds awsome very loud and clear 75 mph with zz top on with volume about 27 and its almost to loud(not really but you get what ime saying). have everything on it from waylon to buddy guy to ac/dc and everything in between. put it on random and just let it roll.
I bought a 32gig thumb drive and downloaded over 17gigs of tunes. I put it on random, and have not heard the same song twice, in 2k miles.

:nojoke:
bbc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts