GL1800Riders Forums banner

Using a car tire on the rear

4K views 60 replies 33 participants last post by  FazerDude 
#1 ·
Hi

Does anyone use a car tire for their rear tire? If you do now, or have used one, whats the pro's and cons of it? How does it handle in the corners?

Thanks

#3 ·
I will recommend you sign into the sub boards forums past that there is a forum called Darkside Riders, log in there and you will get any and all questions answered :thumbup:

#4 ·
I use one and have now for several thousand miles. It is just better in all ways than previous motorcycle tires. I'll not be coming back from the "Dark Side." Not only do I like it better, but the wife does also the ability to have the run flat at 32 pounds of pressure make for a more comfortable and smoother rider for her.
Try it you'll like it.

#5 ·
I do, and have for the last 80,000 miles. That said, it is an individual preference. If you are interested, see if you can borrow one already mounted on a GW rim and give it a whirl. It does take a while to get used to, but there is nothing you can't do on a car tire that you can do on a MC tire. You can accelerate faster and you can also stop faster. You can't go faster. It will tend to stand you up and that is the hardest thing to get used to. Don't stop where the surface is uneven under the rear tire because it will then tend to tip you over. Give it a fair trial and make your own mind up as it is not for everyone.

#7 ·
Who ever heard of such a thing?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

By the way, they work great! You gust have to decide which one you want to go with!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#10 ·
Car tires don't fit on a Goldwing. Goldwings are like mobile homes. They have odd diameter tires and get sucked up into tornados.:shock:

#15 ·
Most of those naysayers have never tried a CT. If they did try one on, they would probably like it. I'm not a crazy wild man in twisties but I ride pretty "spirited". No problems with a CT.

#17 ·
wonder why NO motorcycle company installs those square tires on their bikes?
Can't believe those motorcycle or tire engineers know less than some bike owners....
That's right because those engineers do everything perfectly! Wonder why we have a multi billion dollar aftermarket industry, what a waste!

#23 ·
Why would anyone put a car tire on a motorcycle? Besides more surface contact on the straight away as well as corners, better rain traction, more clearance in the corners, better handling on gravel, quieter,smoother ride, safer when using a run flat, solid handling characteristics, less expensive, more mileage, and a great contentious conversation maker. A car tyre on a motorcycle! that is just dumb.
If a person were to go that route the hardest part would be the decision of what kind RF NRF manufacturer and make.
Decisions decisions.:wrong::popcorn:

#24 ·
Cults come in many flavors. From your psychologically lethal Branch Davidians to your somewhat mainstream, but still dangerous (sic) isolationastic Dark-Siders. :roll:
Dangerous AND isolationist? :eek: Surely you jest. If Darksiders are isolationists then how would they be dangerous to anyone? Were Branch Davidians really psychologically dangerous or just physically dangerous? :shrug:

Rusty, I always enjoy your posts. I almost never agree with you but I enjoy your input to this BBS.
MM

#25 ·
Cults come in many flavors. From your psychologically lethal Branch Davidians to your somewhat mainstream, but still dangerous isolationastic Dark-Siders. :roll:
Some have Kool Aid, we have Darkside cookies :thumbup:

#26 ·
Well pay no attention to the Firestone in the photo. Tis a crappy tire used on a car. Has no bearing at all.

Go find the post on this site about the rear Avon, I like the Avon myself, but I would never run it to the point the one posted has been. Simple actually, you get down on the ground and check the tire, each time before each ride. Nuff said about that.

But with a good CT you do not have such concerns. They eliminate all that mess and most of the time stop the front tire from cupping also.

Best deal in town, for safety . That is the bottom line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.