GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
20,614 Posts
Buy a small air compressor. Walfart has them under $20.

I have some high $$$ model from Slime. It works no better.

You might want to consider carring a rope/glue plug kit. Cheap insurance

· Registered
27 Posts
I have the CO2 type and after having a dead flat it took about 4 of them to just get enough in the tire to ride 400 feet to the nearest fill station. I only carried 8. I was out in the back woods. If that fill station had not been there and I used all 8 and the rope did not hold, or it became a slow leak or I got another puncher it would have been the end to a fantastic trip.
I am buying an electric compressor for the Wing and giving the CO2 to my son for his push bike.
Just my experience.

Ben.

P.S The rope held for another 2000 miles and I did not get another flat on that tire. I think I found limits to how much I like to push my luck.

· Smoky
1,190 Posts
Nighthawk51,
Get an air compreesor as other have suggested. I have a Slime pump and a friend I was riding with had to use it once. Worked great. I store mine in the trunk under the cover where the CB is.

· Registered
749 Posts
The old GL1500's had airshocks and a hose. None on the GL1800's (not even with ABS)

Rick

G

·
Is there a hook up somewhere on a 2007 ABS wing to attach a hose to fill tires in case of emergancy when traveling or do I need to buy a small compressor to carry?
There are no "air shocks" on any stock Goldwing. Goldwing suspensions are spring/hydraulic systems. There may be some aftermarket air shock system, and there might be some rear air shock system on a trike conversion, but I am not aware of any.

· Registered
3,033 Posts
As recommended.....I also suggest you get a small compressor (and a plug kit)
Carry a bottle of slime or similar...in case you get a leak that a plug can't help.. (such as a leaking valve stem gasket)
As for which compressor.....
The various small ones may have a slightly different max pressure
(which is of no importance as far as tires go)
But they also differ in the amount of current they draw under load.
I have had three of them over the years...
and the Slime brand I have now (a popular one with the GL1800 crowd)
draws less current than the other two did.
That's not a big deal if you are wiring it to the battery with heavy wire.
But I find it nice that I can plug it into the GL1800 fairing Aux. power
connector and it doesn't overheat the wiring or blow the fuse.

Having said all that..... it wouldn't surprise me if another Slime unit
would draw more (or even less) than mine. I doubt there is any real
tight performance specifications when it comes to these cheap little things.

· Registered
464 Posts
I carry the slime and while no one mentioned it, perhaps because it is obvious, don't use the compressor unless the engine is running. Most small compressors draw about 10 amps and filling a rear tire would almost certainly run your battery down.

· Registered
17,884 Posts
I say NIX the Slime sealant. The observatoin made above is opposite of my experience; there seems to be no puncture that Slime or RideOn will seal that sticky-rope plugs will not seal better. I do use a compact Slime compressor thta AutoZone was practically giving away along with a sticky-rope kit and it fits neatly in the unused CD bay of the trunk.

prs

· Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

As mentioned earlier, it takes a Metric Boatload of those 12 gram disposable CO2 bottles to fill up a flat tire. However, you can get disposable CO2 bottles as large as 90 grams; two to three of these bottles will generally fill up a tire.

The interesting part, though, is that two 90 gram bottles is the same size as the Slime air compressor. So there is no size advantage of one over the other.

You can get even larger, refillable CO2 bottles that hold anywhere from 12oz. to 1 lb. of CO2 at places that sell paintball guns, but they take up as much volume as one to two quarts of oil.

· Registered
2,581 Posts
What are the opinions on the CO2 cartridge type pumps? It would seem that they take up less space and you don't have to worry about hooking them up.
In a previous life, my very survival depended on double redundancy.

I carry three independent forms of tire inflation technology. In order of use:

1. A stripped down electric compressor, very small.

2. A bunch of CO2 carts.

3. A hand pump.

The electric compressor has never failed me, but I guess old habits are hard to break.

· Registered
7,618 Posts
I just got a small air compresor at Harbor Freight for $6.99. Hadn't planed on doing that, but I did it since it was a good price.. Works off the left pocket ACC plug just fine.

Prior, I had a spark plug adaptor. It screwed in where your spark plug went. Only thing, you had to drain your bowls or have an FI bike I had both. Pull fuse 17 & plug and run the starter. to clear out any gasses. Screw hose into spark plug hole and lock the other end on your valve stem. A few cranks of the motor (it won't start nor will it have gas) and yer good to go.

The Wing's plugs are bit hard to get at so I got this $6.99 compressor instead.

· Registered
1,197 Posts
it takes a Metric Boatload of those 12 gram disposable CO2 bottles to fill up a flat tire.
Innovations does make a 40g canisters that you use with a screw on valve.
http://www.genuineinnovations.com/refills.aspx?parentid=1035&subcat=13

I use this andsometimes I have a few of these large cartridges but I also have a Slime compressor to fine tune the PSI. But I also have a cell phone and a few different towing services.

· Registered
56 Posts
Air Compressor

I plug my small air compressor into a 12 V plug that I had wired into the trunk. As a back up I carry a bottle of CO2 with an adaptor that was originally for the air tent we used to have. Both the compressor and the CO2 bottle conveniently fit snugly into the small part of the saddlebag compartments nearest the rear end of the bike.:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.