GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you believe the F/I/cleaner in a fuel tank really work??

I usually put the F/Inj cleaner in my tank before I take a very long ride or trip, when I know that I will be using up a full tank of gas , in one trip....

If so what brand do you use?

Am I just fooling myself that I'm indeed cleaning out my injectors , and doing good OR wasting my money???

I used to do the same when I had carboratored vehicles... In goes a bottle of cleaner in my fuel tank every long trip...

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I thought all treatments were snake oil. I had a discussion on here a few years ago about it and decided to run Seafoam through my 08 because it would ping. I wanted to prove to the guy that it was a waste of money. I put half a can in my gas and all of my pinging was gone! Did not return for a year or so. It works! Tip: you want to use it when you do not hurriedly run through it. Kinda like soaking, it works better.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Chevron Techron will reduce carbon deposits on valves. It's the only one I'd recommend. I'd also advise using it one or two tanks prior to doing an oil change, as it can thin the oil.
I was involved with Chevron (Richmond, CA) when they brought this out. I was working for an automotive OEM at the time. An excellent product. Our primary interest in it at the time was its capabilities keeping the pintles used on Port Fuel Injectors clean (such as are used on our Goldwings FWIW). It is also useful in the control of Intake Valve deposits. Although that wasn't our primary interest in its value at the time. Based on my personal experience, I highly recommend Techron. Particularly if you are consistently using less than Top Tier Gasoline. I don't think I'd worry about its effect on the engine lubricating oil unless you're using massive quantities of it. Ex: 10 times the recommended amount.

This link provides a list of fuel brands that are selling Top Tier Gasoline. If you are consistently using Top Tier Gasoline, the use of Techron may be a bit redundant, but it doesn't hurt anything either, when used as directed. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/
:nerd:

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I was involved with Chevron (Richmond, CA) when they brought this out. I was working for an automotive OEM at the time. An excellent product. Our primary interest in it at the time was its capabilities keeping the pintles used on Port Fuel Injectors clean (such as are used on our Goldwings FWIW). It is also useful in the control of Intake Valve deposits. Although that wasn't our primary interest in its value at the time. Based on my personal experience, I highly recommend Techron. Particularly if you are consistently using less than Top Tier Gasoline. I don't think I'd worry about its effect on the engine lubricating oil unless you're using massive quantities of it. Ex: 10 times the recommended amount.

This link provides a list of fuel brands that are selling Top Tier Gasoline. If you are consistently using Top Tier Gasoline, the use of Techron may be a bit redundant, but it doesn't hurt anything either, when used as directed. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/
:nerd:
Do you think that consistently using pump gas that includes Techron (or one of the other Top Tiers that includes similar additive) negates the benefit of adding it separately?

(especially in light of the Consumer's Report study)

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Do you think that consistently using pump gas that includes Techron (or one of the other Top Tiers that includes similar additive) negates the benefit of adding it separately? (especially in light of the Consumer's Report study)
Yes, using today's Top Tier gasoline and then supplementing it with an additive such as Techron, would be redundant IMHO. But on occasion, when traveling across country, given the nature of the roads (or lack there-of) that I've tended to travel, the option of using a Top Tier gasoline has not always been available. Following such "adventures" I've often used an application of Techron; to help things return to the status quo. As a general rule, I make it a point of not using any fuel that isn't rated Top Tier. I typically do not use Techron (or any other fuel additive) on anything even remotely resembling a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I've had good luck with seafoam also, it seem to do what it say it does. Although I wouldn't use it in my oil on a wet clutch motorcycle, it did free up a sticking lifter on my work truck about seven years ago and it haven't started back ticking since. I've used it in my VTX routinely since I don't travel on it anymore and most of its use is local, I recently looked in the cylinder with a bore scope when changing the plugs, clean as it could be.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Heard about Seafoam on this site. Tried it in my lawnmower and that smoothed out the idle. Tried it in my wifes Honda CRV and that smoothed out the idle. Will be trying it in the Wing in the spring. It is on sale here in Apache Junction so i bought 4 cans of it for about $7.00 each.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
we use Berrymans B-12, buy it in Wally World, about $3.59 a can, the stuff is like rocket fuel, works well, I usually do 2 treatments & the throttle response is much better..
Seafoam is good for long term storage, it w mix w/ condensation & burn it out thru the motor..

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I see Seafoam as a deep cleaning additive, maybe beginning or end of the season treatment. On a regular basis, I'm in the camp with Marvel Mystery Oil. Added periodically to the tank, it cleans the fuel system, injectors, and lubricates the upper cylinders. My Dad was a motor and diesel mechanic, and that's the only thing he ever recommended, and I followed suit. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looks like more "seafoam" for me ......................... thank you everybody!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
My concern with Marvel Mystery Oil, and I have no knowledge whatsoever about this but, is that it is so old school, (been around forever), that it seems to me modern chemical technology would have surpassed it.
And maybe MMO has been modernized as well.
:shrug:

·
Registered
860 Posts
IIRC MMO has been around since about 1927. Even longer than me. My father was also a fan but he used it mainly for top end lube and cleaning. Sticky valves and clogged oil passages used to be more common than now. I grew up as a fan but now am more apt to use Seafoam. It has kept my 86 Aspy on the road for years. Have never pulled the carbs in 30 yrs of ownership.

Just watch. It will now bite me in the butt!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts