GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I got my Goldwing, it had been sitting unused for about 3 years.
It didn't idle well at all and stalled frequently.
I ran a couple of cans of Seafoam through the gas over the next two
weeks and zingo! It idled smooth and steady after that.
I've since put 29,000 miles on that bike and it still runs great.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
(greyhound) Larry, speaking about gas sitting around in tanks for a long time, how about we, get out and take a ride soon, and burn up some of that old gas that has been sitting our own gas tanks for the past four months??? (y) :cool::cool:

(maybe the Vanilla Bean in Conn.?)

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
This is all anecdotal or hearsay.

ANECDOTAL: I used to think fuel treatment was 'snake oil'. I had an 1983 Cutlass Supreme that I used as a beater, for commuting to work (I worked at Chevron by the way). After 100,000+ miles it was running rough. So I took it into the auto shop, because I was busy and didn't want to mess with the thing. The owner told me to leave the car, it would take a few days, but he would take care of it. I had gotten to know the head mechanic pretty well. I don't know if they were just really busy or if the mechanic and the owner had a falling out, but he told me, just go get a bottle of techron or seafoam. Put it in and it will fix your problem. The mechanic said, that's all I would do. So, that's what I did and it cleared up the problems right away. I concluded that it really does work.

HEARSAY: I have heard or read somewhere that Honda does not recommend some fuel treatments or injector cleaners for the Goldwing, as they remove the protective throttle body coating. That is just stuck in the back of my brain somewhere and I think about it whenever this subject comes up. I can tell you that you can run diesel through the engine with no other side effect than needing a new set of spark plugs! :) arghhh ...

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
When ever I'm going to take a very long trip (car OR bike) I always add a bottle of Techron to my full tank, and I know that I'll be using up a tank of fuel, I hope I'm correct and believe I'm actually doing right, by "thinking" that I'm cleaning out my Fuel injectors ... [1/2 bottle in the bike].So far in 55,000 miles I have had no problems...........w/ injectors!

Fred/Gregg (what do you both recommend??)
Ronnie

·
Love The DCT
11,553 Posts
This is all anecdotal or hearsay.

ANECDOTAL: I used to think fuel treatment was 'snake oil'. I had an 1983 Cutlass Supreme that I used as a beater, for commuting to work (I worked at Chevron by the way). After 100,000+ miles it was running rough. So I took it into the auto shop, because I was busy and didn't want to mess with the thing. The owner told me to leave the car, it would take a few days, but he would take care of it. I had gotten to know the head mechanic pretty well. I don't know if they were just really busy or if the mechanic and the owner had a falling out, but he told me, just go get a bottle of techron or seafoam. Put it in and it will fix your problem. The mechanic said, that's all I would do. So, that's what I did and it cleared up the problems right away. I concluded that it really does work.

HEARSAY: I have heard or read somewhere that Honda does not recommend some fuel treatments or injector cleaners for the Goldwing, as they remove the protective throttle body coating. That is just stuck in the back of my brain somewhere and I think about it whenever this subject comes up. I can tell you that you can run diesel through the engine with no other side effect than needing a new set of spark plugs! :) arghhh ...
No hearsay. From page 5-1 in the 2001 service manual under "General Information."
  1. "Do not apply commercially available carburetor cleaners to the inside of the throttle bore, which is coated coated with molybdenum.
?

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
No hearsay. From page 5-1 in the 2001 service manual under "General Information."
  1. "Do not apply commercially available carburetor cleaners to the inside of the throttle bore, which is coated coated with molybdenum.
?
Maybe I missed something in a post somewhere, but I thought the discussion was about injector cleaners that are added to the fuel tank. The fuel on this bike is injected directly into the intake manifold, isn't it? It doesn't go anywhere near the throttle bore.

Maybe I'm just tired from a long day at work and not thinking straight.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Maybe I missed something in a post somewhere, but I thought the discussion was about injector cleaners that are added to the fuel tank. The fuel on this bike is injected directly into the intake manifold, isn't it? It doesn't go anywhere near the throttle bore.

Maybe I'm just tired from a long day at work and not thinking straight.
I think you are correct sir! I do recall Fred H advising in one of his "entertainment only" videos not to use aggressive cleaning chemicals and methods to scrub deposits from the throttle bore since it could remove a desirable coating of some sort; don't recall the coating purpose.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
greyhound, when you go for a long ride, have you ever added any formula to the gas tank to help clean out those injectors?? I'm "thinking" that with the gas out there today (may not b the best fuel) that our injectors can and will get plugged up... I don't add inj cleaner all the time, just when I know, that I will be going through a FULL tank of gas that day...(maybe three times a season) and ALWAYS a good dose of fuel stabilizer, when I put "Blacky" away for her long hibernation period.....

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I noticed that Wawa is not on the Top Tier list but they are the only station around me that has Ethanol Free. I use that for my small and seldom used engines (pressure washer and generator) and there is Seafoam in the gas can. Does Seafoam make up for not having Top Tier status?

As for the Goldwing and our Highlander we just simply use the Top Tier stations. I keep very careful track of mileage and over the last few years I’m down about 1-2 MPG on the bike. I thought about adding Seafoam but as others have noted Honda says not to use additives. It is possible that either my riding habits changed or more city over backroad rides. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
greyhound, when you go for a long ride, have you ever added any formula to the gas tank to help clean out those injectors?? I'm "thinking" that with the gas out there today (may not b the best fuel) that our injectors can and will get plugged up... I don't add inj cleaner all the time, just when I know, that I will be going through a FULL tank of gas that day...(maybe three times a season) and ALWAYS a good dose of fuel stabilizer, when I put "Blacky" away for her long hibernation period.....

Ronnie
Nope. Star Tron when stored during winter only. Always use top tier gas from a busy station so I know it's fresh. Never fill when I see a delivery in process. 90k+ miles and no issues I'm aware of.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Larry where is the nearest "Top Tier" station near us??

·
Registered
282 Posts
Really sucks we can't get NON-ethanol around here. Back in NoDak we usually had a choice but here in Payson no one handles non-ethanol. Hate it but what do you do, we are stuck using ethanol.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Larry where is the nearest "Top Tier" station near us??
Someone here posted a link listing the names of all top tier brands not too long ago. Basically, all the easily recognized brands such as Mobil/Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, Texaco are included along with many others I can't recall. Try Goggling it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Really sucks we can't get NON-ethanol around here. Back in NoDak we usually had a choice but here in Payson no one handles non-ethanol. Hate it but what do you do, we are stuck using ethanol.
Look here. You have some around if you're in payson Utah

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Someone here posted a link listing the names of all top tier brands not too long ago. Basically, all the easily recognized brands such as Mobil/Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, Texaco are included along with many others I can't recall. Try Goggling it.
Found it............Thank you Larry.(good suggestion)

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
I think you are correct sir! I do recall Fred H advising in one of his "entertainment only" videos not to use aggressive cleaning chemicals and methods to scrub deposits from the throttle bore since it could remove a desirable coating of some sort; don't recall the coating purpose.
Reliable first hand information on the purpose of the coating is hard to come by. Most discussions about it are educated guesses, like mine here. Manufacturers don't talk about it and technical publications gloss over it. They just say don't clean it with harsh cleaners. Suffice it to say that, whatever the reason, there is an added cost in applying it, and most manufacturers do it, so there must be a compelling reason for it. So it is probably best to protect it from damage.

One of the more logical explanations says that, in some ways, it is a drawback that modern fuel injected engines now only take in fresh air. There is no fuel vapor mixed with throttle body air to keep the intake clean. (gasoline is a great cleaning solvent, even gasoline fumes) As a result, a throttle body gets dirty buildup faster than a conventional carb would. Most fuel injected engines use a coating such as teflon to keep dirt from sticking to intake parts, which can affect how smoothly the engine runs. It is more for long term reliability than anything else. FWIW, if you ever looked at a carb closely, you will notice that manufacturers used to put a coating on the back side of the butterfly that could easily be damaged if you cleaned too aggressively. It was very prone to dirt buildup.

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
Look here. You have some around if you're in payson Utah

I have stopped by many of the ethanol free stations from that website here in Ohio, just out of curiosity while traveling around the state.

Nearly all of them are at marinas. In most cases, you can't pull up and fill your tank because the pumps are on docks. You would have to fill up cans.

Of the ones that were accessible, they were all unbranded fuels at old pumps in a corner of the lot of a rundown gas station, usually near a kerosene pump. They look like they probably get filled very rarely. There are no national or even regional chains that sell pure gas at the regular pumps. it became obvious very quickly that these fuels were being offered for people with small fishing boats and for small engines.

I originally had hoped to find a place where I could get fuel for my L&G engines since small engine designs are antiques that have not been updated since the 60s and they don't handle ethanol very well. But as it turned out, it isn't worth the effort, and might actually be worse than using regular pump gas.

What really perplexes me is that a lot of the obsessions here deal with top tier fuel, fresh fuel, etc., but my experience has shown that these pure gas locations meet neither one of those criteria. And the price of the fuel is so high that you gain nothing money wise by gaining that extra 2-3 mpg. In fact, it ends up costing you a lot more.

The experience might be a little different in other states where their politics are a little different.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have stopped by many of the ethanol free stations from that website here in Ohio, just out of curiosity while traveling around the state.

Nearly all of them are at marinas. In most cases, you can't pull up and fill your tank because the pumps are on docks. You would have to fill up cans.

Of the ones that were accessible, they were all unbranded fuels at old pumps in a corner of the lot of a rundown gas station, usually near a kerosene pump. They look like they probably get filled very rarely. There are no national or even regional chains that sell pure gas at the regular pumps. it became obvious very quickly that these fuels were being offered for people with small fishing boats and for small engines.

I originally had hoped to find a place where I could get fuel for my L&G engines since small engine designs are antiques that have not been updated since the 60s and they don't handle ethanol very well. But as it turned out, it isn't worth the effort, and might actually be worse than using regular pump gas.

What really perplexes me is that a lot of the obsessions here deal with top tier fuel, fresh fuel, etc., but my experience has shown that these pure gas locations meet neither one of those criteria. And the price of the fuel is so high that you gain nothing money wise by gaining that extra 2-3 mpg. In fact, it ends up costing you a lot more.

The experience might be a little different in other states where their politics are a little different.
Through this site I have found several non ethanol sources near me. The one that I fill all my bikes with at the end of the season and all my small engines with all the time is a Marathon station. Sure it is at premium price but it is all gas. I only use non ethanol gas near the end of the season for storage purposes otherwise if local I always fill up at the same station. If away from home then I use any station that seems busy with no delivery trucks at the time. Out west... sometimes I am just happy with finding gas. I filled up at an expensive marina in Washington State on the Snake river. I'd been going 35 mph for some time and was happy to pay. I just needed any gas that was available!

61 - 80 of 86 Posts