GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Do you believe the F/I/cleaner in a fuel tank really work??

I usually put the F/Inj cleaner in my tank before I take a very long ride or trip, when I know that I will be using up a full tank of gas , in one trip....

If so what brand do you use?

Am I just fooling myself that I'm indeed cleaning out my injectors , and doing good OR wasting my money???

I used to do the same when I had carboratored vehicles... In goes a bottle of cleaner in my fuel tank every long trip...

Ronnie
I just picked up some at the Honda dealer. I would think i they sell it for their wings it should be good.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I have stopped by many of the ethanol free stations from that website here in Ohio, just out of curiosity while traveling around the state.

Nearly all of them are at marinas. In most cases, you can't pull up and fill your tank because the pumps are on docks. You would have to fill up cans.

Of the ones that were accessible, they were all unbranded fuels at old pumps in a corner of the lot of a rundown gas station, usually near a kerosene pump. They look like they probably get filled very rarely. There are no national or even regional chains that sell pure gas at the regular pumps. it became obvious very quickly that these fuels were being offered for people with small fishing boats and for small engines.

I originally had hoped to find a place where I could get fuel for my L&G engines since small engine designs are antiques that have not been updated since the 60s and they don't handle ethanol very well. But as it turned out, it isn't worth the effort, and might actually be worse than using regular pump gas.

What really perplexes me is that a lot of the obsessions here deal with top tier fuel, fresh fuel, etc., but my experience has shown that these pure gas locations meet neither one of those criteria. And the price of the fuel is so high that you gain nothing money wise by gaining that extra 2-3 mpg. In fact, it ends up costing you a lot more.

The experience might be a little different in other states where their politics are a little different.
Most of the QT quick trips have non ethanol gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My concern with Marvel Mystery Oil, and I have no knowledge whatsoever about this but, is that it is so old school, (been around forever), that it seems to me modern chemical technology would have surpassed it.
And maybe MMO has been modernized as well.
?
I don't know about new make up, but we were told to use it in our plane when leaded fuel was dropped to keep valve guides lubricated. Saved many engine from stopping on takeoff. I use couple ounces in fuel every 3rd fill. I do not use it in oil though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The best injector cleaner i have ever used for a motorcycle is yamahas ring free. Techroline , seafoam etc I have used in my trucks.

One ounce of Ring Free treats 10 gallons of fuel and although it's not cheap ($22.50 for 12 ounces) it goes a long way. ... Ring Free not only helps with carbon build up but also prevents ring sticking, cleans injectors and removes varnish from entering your fuel system.

·
Registered
19,948 Posts
Most of the QT quick trips have non ethanol gas.
We don't have any of those in Ohio. I looked them up and they are only in 8 states.

It's my understanding that the Ohio EPA mandates E10 or higher for all passenger vehicles. The rule has been in place for decades. This is also true in many other states. It would explain why I have yet to find any pure gas at the regular pumps at any Ohio station.

Of course, they don't exactly have ethanol police out there looking for people putting pure gas in their cars. Enforcement is at the retailer level. A determined person could find it.. But unless you find a station near a body of water that supplies fuel for boats, you are not going to have much luck in Ohio.

Note that I don't care either way. My vehicles run fine on E10. This has now become more of a curiosity thing to do for amusement while traveling around the state. I want to know how obsessed a person has to be around here to get their pure gas fix.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts