GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, with all that's been written here about I-pods and I-tunes, I did a search, and can't found any info on this.

Is there another web-site besides I-tunes that will transfer songs on a I-pod from my USB drive back file.
I know someone mention this in the past, likes the site, and never uses I-tunes?

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Ok guys, with all that's been written here about I-pods and I-tunes, I did a search, and can't found any info on this.

Is there another web-site besides I-tunes that will transfer songs on a I-pod from my USB drive back file.
I know someone mention this in the past, likes the site, and never uses I-tunes?

Anyone?
Anapod works like a windows product and allows two way file transfer if thats what you are looking for, but you say "website" so I may not have it clear, you can download songs from Walmart.com and they will work too.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wi_Winger said:

Anyone?
I can see where there might be confusion. Itunes is an application that resides on your PC. You can use it to copy songs from your CDs onto an iPod, or you can purchase songs from their website and download those.

The application is free. If you want, you can buy songs at 99 cents per song.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Wi_Winger said:

Anyone?
I don't know what a "USB drive back file." is

I use Windows Media Player V10.I am able to manage both of my Creative players and my Ipod.
V11 would not recognize my Creative players,and I never tried the Ipod with it.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Download the free version of Media Monkey. (Yes, I know the name is silly). It is a Windows Media Player style program that works with Ipods. You don't even have to install I-tunes. There are no extra drivers or plug-ins needed.

There is also X-Play, which is a nice little program that is great just for transferring and backing up your IPod or to restore songs back to the IPod. It doesn't have its own GUI. It uses Windows Explorer. Your computer sees the IPod as if it were an external hard drive. Slick and simple, but it can be a little finicky. It is not free, but it is relatively cheap.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch guys, I'll check this out and safe riding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"Limewire" @ downloads.com is a program that allows free music downloads that can be transfered to Itunes and downloaded to your IPOD. Doesn't get much easier.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I use Realplayer upgraded for $9.95 for absolutely everything. Never used I-tunes or downloaded songs from their website. Simply plug in a I-Pod or any other MP3 player I've tried and transfer MP3's directly to them. Plays perfectly and I don't have to manually convert the songs to ma4 for them to work.

With Realplayers codecs I can convert songs to just about any format and back again if necessary. I also convert the protected songs to any other unprotected format so I can have a format that won't expire as some of the protected files will do.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
My son had me try dbpoweramp for converting CDs to mp3 format

Works real good and easy....

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are pretty computer savy try Rockbox, it replaces your apple firmware with an open source firmware that lets you do many things you cannot do with the stock firmware. I love it, and yes you can reload apple firmware if you don't like it

http://www.rockbox.org/

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Even Windows Media Player will do the job, if you're talking about mp3's. You can also set it to rip your CD's to mp3 files, rather than WMA files, which is the default.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Son of Thunder said:
Even Windows Media Player will do the job, if you're talking about mp3's. You can also set it to rip your CD's to mp3 files, rather than WMA files, which is the default.
Windows Media Player does not recognize the Ipod if I remember correctly, (haven't used it in a long time) but you definitely can't use it to back up your IPod. I don't even thing WMP will play MP4 files. It has always been a pretty worthless program IMO when you work with multiple formats and when it comes to managing your music. It excels as a player, and that is about it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
LarryM said:
Son of Thunder said:
Windows Media Player does not recognize the Ipod if I remember correctly, (haven't used it in a long time) but you definitely can't use it to back up your IPod. I don't even thing WMP will play MP4 files. It has always been a pretty worthless program IMO when you work with multiple formats and when it comes to managing your music. It excels as a player, and that is about it.
It's a great program for those with mp3 files and an mp3 player. I've never tried it to use an iPod with it, but it may depend on your iPod settings. As for backing up an iPod, those files should already be on the computer in one format or another, unless you're trying to store files you didn't purchase.

Anyway, I'm not advocating WMP over any other player, though it does play m4p files, the current iPod format.)

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
John, I know a lot of people like it and it serves its purpose for what they do. My comments were primarilty directed at Microsoft for their lack of support and features compared to many of the other players out there. It is a slick interface that really doesn't do very much compared with other players out there. If you do a lot with music files, you will find yourself wanting more.

The problem with the IPOD is that Windows does not recognize the file system that Apple uses. They did this intentionally to discourage copying of music. You can't just open up Window Explorer and view your music files like you can with any other portable player. Even in the I-Tunes software there is no way to directly access your files.

Because of this, I would not have bought an Ipod if it weren't for the fact that many clever programmers have circumvented the problem, and now there is a wealth of options available.

I can't help but wonder if Apple really did not want to cause these problems and only did it to satisfy the EIA and the recording industry. The back door they left open seems to have been too easy to open and I haven't heard of Apple going after any of these companies. Who knows.

When you add in the fact that Apple and Microsoft are bitter rivals, it makes sense that Microsoft would not be in any rush to make WMP compatible.

WMP will support limited playback of MP4 if you get the DirectShow-MPEG-4 decoder packs. The problem is that there are many versions of MP4 thanks to Apple. WMP still won't support m4u or aac files, which are common Apple formats, even with the decoder packs, and you still won't be able to encode, and you still don't have access to the actual files. This means that WMP will not help solve the problem mentioned in the original post.

This is a very complex subject that has been totally screwed up by the greed of the manufacturers and lack of control by the standards orginizations. Unfortunately, we as consumers are the ones who ultimately suffer because of the difficulty of trying to keep this all straight.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I just bought an Ipod last month. Never thought I would use one, but they are great. You load whatever YOU want to listen to. I simply plug it in my usb port and Itunes pulls up and I do whatever I want to do. Why would anybody want anything different than that? I am not a computer savvy person. Am I missing out on something?

I tried Limewire but it was a pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Toyo said:
Why would anybody want anything different than that?
one reason ...
Other solutions let you have "tunes" and GPS with only a single device.
Why would anyone desire to have two devices?

Dennis

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
LarryM said:
The problem with the IPOD is that Windows does not recognize the file system that Apple uses. They did this intentionally to discourage copying of music. You can't just open up Window Explorer and view your music files like you can with any other portable player. Even in the I-Tunes software there is no way to directly access your files.
I'm not sure what you mean about directly accessing your files. As a musician myself, I completely understand and support discouraging the illegal copying of music. As a marginal computer geek, I have no problem dragging files from iTunes into Cool Edit Pro to edit them, and can save them right back where iTunes can find them again. The only hassle is converting downloaded AAC files into mp3. Since most of my music library exists on CD, that's not a big problem for me. And I can find my iTunes library with Windows Explorer, and have done so for various reasons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts