GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has been using the Myroute App and the Zumo XT. I'm not quite sure on how to get the route from the App to the XT wirelessly. The Garmin Zumo XT appears to be a real nice GPS if I can figure out how to use it. Anyone?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I use MyRouteApp and a TomTom 550 so I'm not sure if this will help.

I use a Chromebook or Android Phone to access MyRouteApp online using the Chrome browser. Using MyRouteApp's "Save as" feature I save the gpx file I want to my Chromebook or Phone.

With the TomTom 550 when I connect the gps to either the Chromebook or Phone via usb cable, the gps grants access to a portion of it's internal memory . I use a simple file manager to copy and paste the gpx file to gps memory.

At least this way I'm not tied to using a Windows or Mac with a software download. Just need to carry a phone and usb cable to access my online routes from anywhere I have Wifi or Phone data.

Seem like you would be able to do something similar with the XT ??

·
Registered
155 Posts
What crucial is for the XT that you save the MRA track as gpx 1.1 (track,poi) not as gpx 1.1 (track,route,poi) . This only is possible in the payed version.

·
Registered
466 Posts
blacktop,

Just curious if you were having any luck getting your Routes from MyRouteApp to your XT using WiFi ??

I have the TomTom 550 which is also WiFi capable which sounds great BUT.

The 550 can only be updated via WiFi from the TomTom MyDrive online Route Planner. MyDrive allows me to build a Route but it can only be transferred to the GPS seamlessly via WiFi as a Track. Tracks can not be edited on the GPS, no option to send Tracks and Routes which does not make sense to me.

This is how I happened on to MyRouteApp, it allows me to build Routes, download them to my phone and cut & paste to my 550 GPS via usb cable. So I have a GPS with WiFi capability but the WiFi feature is not all that useful.

MyRouteApp does have a Beta feature for TomTom where I can email Tracks directly to my personal MyDrive account. Works nice but can only email one Track at a Time and only Tracks, which again can not be edited on the GPS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
blacktop,

Just curious if you were having any luck getting your Routes from MyRouteApp to your XT using WiFi ??

I have the TomTom 550 which is also WiFi capable which sounds great BUT.

The 550 can only be updated via WiFi from the TomTom MyDrive online Route Planner. MyDrive allows me to build a Route but it can only be transferred to the GPS seamlessly via WiFi as a Track. Tracks can not be edited on the GPS, no option to send Tracks and Routes which does not make sense to me.

This is how I happened on to MyRouteApp, it allows me to build Routes, download them to my phone and cut & paste to my 550 GPS via usb cable. So I have a GPS with WiFi capability but the WiFi feature is not all that useful.

MyRouteApp does have a Beta feature for TomTom where I can email Tracks directly to my personal MyDrive account. Works nice but can only email one Track at a Time and only Tracks, which again can not be edited on the GPS.
I haven't figured this thing out completely yet. Using my Mac I can transfer from the Myroute App to Garmin Explore as a track. But when I look at it on the GPS it doesn't seem to copy over the waypoints. Still trying to figure this thing out, it can be very frustrating. I'll hopefully get it eventually.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I haven't figured this thing out completely yet. Using my Mac I can transfer from the Myroute App to Garmin Explore as a track. But when I look at it on the GPS it doesn't seem to copy over the waypoints. Still trying to figure this thing out, it can be very frustrating. I'll hopefully get it eventually.
I have a similar problem with my TomTom 550. I can only send Tracks to the GPS via WiFi. Routes contain user defined waypoints, Tracks do not. When I watch the video above it looks like he is saving the route as ".gpx 1.1 (track, poi)" which is the Track and Points Of Interest only. I think you need to save as ".gpx 1.1 (route, track, poi).

As mentioned earlier, I've never been able to get Routes to transfer to my GPS via WiFi. I don't know if that is a technical issue for GPS in general or just TomTom. I save the Route to my Chromebook then cut & paste to the GPS via usb cable.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Have you made sure to convert the track to a route on the XT? Don't forget to do that once you've moved over the track via Explore.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a similar problem with my TomTom 550. I can only send Tracks to the GPS via WiFi. Routes contain user defined waypoints, Tracks do not. When I watch the video above it looks like he is saving the route as ".gpx 1.1 (track, poi)" which is the Track and Points Of Interest only. I think you need to save as ".gpx 1.1 (route, track, poi).

As mentioned earlier, I've never been able to get Routes to transfer to my GPS via WiFi. I don't know if that is a technical issue for GPS in general or just TomTom. I save the Route to my Chromebook then cut & paste to the GPS via usb cable.
Yeah he does transfer as a track and that is what I was doing. However SKYFLIX said to convert to a route
on the XT. Not sure how to do this but will look into.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I'm not using any of these apps or devices, so only a tangential question at the tail end of the approach you're discussing...

Tracks-to-routes has almost always screwed me over for anything but the most brief track. It seems like that's a potential weak link in your chain even if you figure out the early parts. Not a link I rely on, based on past experience. Are you getting that part to work?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has been using the Myroute App and the Zumo XT. I'm not quite sure on how to get the route from the App to the XT wirelessly. The Garmin Zumo XT appears to be a real nice GPS if I can figure out how to use it. Anyone?
Sorry I am asking question which is not related to you inquiry.
Is the XT screen much better than 595 or not.? I can see the resolution is up to 1200, but still, that glove touch option made the 595 the worse screen on GPS. Did they fixed that on XT ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
All these questions "can I get my route from XYZapp to my Garmin ABC" can be both simplified and complicated.

Simplifying:

- Any XYZ app you're using that is worth a damn will export a route in a GPX file. If it won't, XYZ is a POS. Use something else.

- any new-ish (~5 years or so?) Garmin ABC that uses Trip Planner (i.e. NOT "custom routes") to follow a route and works with the phone app Garmin Smartphone Link will easily import a GPX file.

* EDITED TO ADD: see following post from @Bartho with XT-specific knowledge. My bad for extrapolating from my zumo 396. Different phone app used there. Perhaps the new phone app does file uploads too, but IDK and am cautious about extrapolating again. ** end edit.

- How? Yesterday I emailed a route in a GPX file to myself. Opened the email on my phone. Tapped the file attachment. Phone asks me how it wants me to handle the file, and Garmin Smartphone Link app is a choice. Be sure phone is connected to GPS. "Open" file with that Garmin app and poof, it sends to GPS, route imports into Trip Planner, and is now there as a choice. I'm in Android; there's an iApp too.

Complicating:

- Whether data from XYZ will work with ABC all depends on what kind of details XYZ puts into its output data. Examples: does it distinguish between via points and shaping points? In a way that ABC understands?

- The routing on ABC is determined by ABC. The route is only the ordered list of routepoints, not the lines between them. How XYZ drew the lines is irrelevant. What points did XYZ export? ABC will redraw the lines between them, according to its own settings. This is equally true even when XYZ is BaseCamp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts