GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread a short while back asking members if they ever used a lift like the one I have pictured below on their Goldwing to change tires, etc. I got some really good positive responses and good information about using this type of lift so I thought I'd give it a go today by using it to change the rear wheel. I broke the lugs loose, put the bike on the lift & strapped it down, removed the wheel and installed the other one, let the bike down, torqued the lugs and put everything away. All in less than 30 minutes! No more laying the bike on it's side or removing any tupperware or fooling with the stereo amp. Just drop one wheel out and put the other one up. :p I love this lift :p I paid $70 for it at Lowes and it's worth every penny. I used it on my Harleys but was reluctant to put the Wing on it... but not anymore! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Were Did the jack..hit under the bike?..It jacked it up high enought to remove the tires..without removeing anything except the brakes?...I just want to verify..i read right..I am thinking about buying a jack such as yours..Any problems,with it?..or just place under bike & jack..did you have to do one tire at a time?..for balance?..

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you use a Tulsa belly pan with that you do not have to tie the bike down at all....

I posted a thread a short while back asking members if they ever used a lift like the one I have pictured below on their Goldwing to change tires, etc. I got some really good positive responses and good information about using this type of lift so I thought I'd give it a go today by using it to change the rear wheel. I broke the lugs loose, put the bike on the lift & strapped it down, removed the wheel and installed the other one, let the bike down, torqued the lugs and put everything away. All in less than 30 minutes! No more laying the bike on it's side or removing any tupperware or fooling with the stereo amp. Just drop one wheel out and put the other one up. :p I love this lift :p I paid $70 for it at Lowes and it's worth every penny. I used it on my Harleys but was reluctant to put the Wing on it... but not anymore! :thumbup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm surprised that removal of the wheel did not upset the balance of the bike on the lift. Good work!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were Did the jack..hit under the bike?..It jacked it up high enought to remove the tires..without removeing anything except the brakes?...I just want to verify..i read right..I am thinking about buying a jack such as yours..Any problems,with it?..or just place under bike & jack..did you have to do one tire at a time?..for balance?..
You don't have to remove anything but the 5 lug nuts! That's it. The brake is attached to the swing arm which is untouched. I was a bit concerned about the bike becoming front heavy once the rear tire was dropped out but it did not seem to bother it at all. I would assume that if it was not tied down then there would be some balance issue. Other board members that use this type of lift suggested to put the left lift arm under the pivot point of the center stand and lift. That is what I did and it worked out fine. This lift is a 1500 lbs. lift and has given me zero problems!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You don't have to remove anything but the 5 lug nuts! That's it. The brake is attached to the swing arm which is untouched. I was a bit concerned about the bike becoming front heavy once the rear tire was dropped out but it did not seem to bother it at all. I would assume that if it was not tied down then there would be some balance issue. Other board members that use this type of lift suggested to put the left lift arm under the pivot point of the center stand and lift. That is what I did and it worked out fine. This lift is a 1500 lbs. lift and has given me zero problems!
I guess i was not clear...I was thinking about both wheels..But you have answered..many questions for me through your desciption..Thanks

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess i was not clear...I was thinking about both wheels..But you have answered..many questions for me through your desciption..Thanks
I don't see why both wheels would be a problem. Someone had posted recently that they had their bike up on the lift with both wheels off for powder coat.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't see why both wheels would be a problem. Someone had posted recently that they had their bike up on the lift with both wheels off for powder coat.
What size are the nuts on the back wheel? I have never pulled one myself and wanted to make sure i have the right sockets.
Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's a 19 mm. I use a 1/2 deep socket with a Breaker bar.

·
Registered
327 Posts
jack

I would not trust removing tire on the jack alone, it's to wobbly. I have the jack but did'nt trust it so I went to Harbor Freight and bought their Dolly for about $30.
Now I use the jack to lift it up and roll dolly under on other side and feel safe crawling under for any maintenance.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You say you purchased the lift at Lowes...I can't find it on their website....:shrug:Do you have a brand name & model #?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Has anyone used a bottle jack to lift the front part of the bike & then place a jack stand under it & then continue with the same for the rear...?...

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Yes I have ued a Pitbull for years.
1. Made in USA
2. Almost lost a Wideglide off a "cheap" Harbor Frieght when the frame twisted and collapsed!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I use the Pit Bull lift with the tulsa belly pan. Bike is extemely stable w/o being tied down, have had the wheels off with no problems more then once. Even had the bike running while up on the jack as well had my Road King running while up on the jack.

The pit bull is over built and extremely stable. I started out with one of those lifts from Sams Club and that was wobbly and cheaply built. That lift went down to the basement and now has the Cushman sitting on it as it seems that those lifts are best suited for that size scoter........

I would not trust removing tire on the jack alone, it's to wobbly. I have the jack but did'nt trust it so I went to Harbor Freight and bought their Dolly for about $30.
Now I use the jack to lift it up and roll dolly under on other side and feel safe crawling under for any maintenance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Lift

So am I reading it right that your come in from the side with the lift? Then you position it one on each side of the center stand? You said you strapped it down, meaning to the lift I assume...?

I like the idea that it is quite small and wont take so much space up in the shop. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You say you purchased the lift at Lowes...I can't find it on their website....:shrug:Do you have a brand name & model #?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark...the brand name on the lift is Kobalt. It is Lowes house brand. I am almost certain that it is made by the same manufacturer that builds the ones for Sears, etc. I am unsure of a model #.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So am I reading it right that your come in from the side with the lift? Then you position it one on each side of the center stand? You said you strapped it down, meaning to the lift I assume...?

I like the idea that it is quite small and wont take so much space up in the shop. :thumbup:
tpulley...You go in with the lift on the right side (throttle side) of the bike. Put the left lift arm under the pivot point of the center stand and the right lift arm will be under the engine case foward of the center stand. This balances well. Once the bike is up to the desired height, stap it down to the tie down loops that are welded to the base portion of the lift. Then...get busy! :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts