0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that Utah has some awesome roads for riding, can someone
point me in the right direction?
Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you want to ride this ROAD, you have to go a little further south on 261....

BTW, I agree, the roads shown above on the map compose a great ride!

Paul H.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I second Fuzzy's map. What he has laid out is a great route.
Also if you can work it in to your route, squeeze in Rt 261 thru Monument Valley, it's just south of Mexican Hat
Richl

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Most of Southern Utah is a Kodak moment! BTW, not many gas stations in SE Utah. When you see one, fill up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fuzzy said:
There are a lot of "right" directions for good riding in Utah. 8)

You won't be disappointed with the ride designated in purple...

We rode a majority of this route on our break in ride right after we bought the new bikes.

You won't be disappointed!! Route 12 is marked in my personal atlus as a "DO OVER ROAD"!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dale's route is dead on gorgeous. The only thing I would add is Hwy 14 between Cedar City and Alton. Here are a few shots from a trip to that area I took in September:

Utah 2006

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Bill is right, Cedar Breaks would make a nice addition, if you can fit it in. The stretch of road between Escalante and Boulder defies description. If you ask me, the route along that map is a lot to take in. The brain kind of gets saturated after a while... I did most of that route (14, 12, and 95) in one day, with a couple of friends, then turned around and came back the same way the next day. The first leg of the trip was much more impressive than I'd remembered it from the previous day.

As others have said, you won't be disappointed with that route!

·
Love The DCT
11,778 Posts
Hwy 89 from Sigurd to Carmel Junction, then Hwy 9 to Hurricane is a pretty nice ride. Runs parallel with I-15.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If you plan to include Cedar Breaks, please check the status of the park and the road to it. Although 14 is open the year round, it can get snow pretty early up there, and the road to Cedar Breaks will close when they get the first big snow. Beautiful drive over 14.

Trip laid out is a good one, but give yourself plenty of time. Zion is one of my favorite parks and you definitely want to go up into the Canyon. The shuttle is still running through Oct 29th and must be taken to get into the canyon -- UT-9 across the park is always open to traffic. If you are traveling after Oct 29th, a ride into the canyon is an amazing experience.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did the same route that Fuzzy has outlined during a 5500 mile trip that I took. It was my favorite part of that trip which included 11 national parks. So far I have to rank Utah as my favorite state. If you go that way you might consider going down to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and don't forget Canyonlands National Park up near Moab Utah.

Sunny skies,

Frodo

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bill R. are you sure that the picture labelled jpg.4 is not the Rio Grande Bridge northwest of Taos NM? I just reviewed a video I took when we were out there last November and it looks identical. Let me know, and if it is, if you want a copy of this short video about 40 seconds, PM me and I'll send you a copy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'lll chime in here too.

We did most of the highlighted route this last July. Stunning.
Spent the night in the Bryce Canyon area. The next day's ride up to Grand Junction was wonderful.
Go, you'll no doubt enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Coming east: Hwy. 12 to 24 to 95 is one of the great rides in the country. IMHO

In the far NE corner, Hwy 89 from Idaho just west of Bear Lake and down toward Logan is a gr8 stretch. Short, but a nice ride.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Northern Blue said:
Bill R. are you sure that the picture labelled jpg.4 is not the Rio Grande Bridge northwest of Taos NM? I just reviewed a video I took when we were out there last November and it looks identical. Let me know, and if it is, if you want a copy of this short video about 40 seconds, PM me and I'll send you a copy.
Hmmm..you're a very observant individual!!! Actually, there are pictures from New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado in that group.

You've got a PM

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mike Anderson said:
azblackbird said:
That is my backyard. I jeep it however. Have you ridden devils racetrack? Good video by the way.
That's funny. I used to work in Price UT. We have an oil field pipe yard up there. Rode everywhere there was to ride around the area before it was fashionable. Same way with Moab.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts