GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Utopia back rest ... question about satety

The back rest looks nice but the hardware sticking up out of the seat looks like it could "neuter" any passenger unfortunate enough to slide too far forward ... any reports of that ever happening?

has anyone come up with some kind of pad or protection to cover all those exposed bolts and pieces of angle iron?

thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
No,

But you pose a good question.....Maybe that's why Honda doesn't offer a backrest on their options list.

later..Randy

·
Registered
337 Posts
You might get neutered as you went past the Utopia but the Markland would split you like a wishbone.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hello,we have had ours on for over a year,and really enjoy the comfort.It actually will slip down into the drivers seat,making it easy for the co-rider to get on and off.Get it,it really makes a difference and easily adjusts even while riding.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The first thing that happens is the passenger pushes on the rider, who is trying to stop the bike and keep it under control, forcing him/her into the windshield. LOL

Utopia makes a bar cover but it's mainly for looks and a feel good attitude for the passenger. Since the bike is taking a nose dive in a panic stop situation, the passenger would go over the fixed part of the backrest and the upper portion will flex forward. BTW, I've never heard of a passenger being hurt by the Utopia. Can't see how the fixed protion would add to any injuries.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why would there be a passenger on you bike that would have to worry about being neutered?

750valk

/

·
Registered
21 Posts
In that case, I believe the correct medical term would be an episiotomy. :p

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Dennis,
Here's a recent thread about the utopia.
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70758

For those members who haven't heard of an injury from a utopia,
I repeat my earlier post here....

I really liked the Utopia on my 2002 but when the bike made a quick stop, :oops:
against the wheel of a cage, the wife slid forward and it broke her pelvic bone. :cry:
Broke the plastic seat foundation too. :roll:
She was in pain, using a walker, for about a month.
I'll be using a KhromeWorks adjustable backrest from now on
because there is no metal bracket in that area that can hurt her.
DC

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hey, pisi on the otomy. :shock: All you need is a seat belt for the passenger. Or, you might look on eBay for a pre-owned chastity belt (just wash it good first). Case closed. Hal, are you listening??? :roll: :lol:

Todd

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
750valk said:
Why would there be a passenger on you bike that would have to worry about being neutered? 750valk/
"neutered" was probably not the best choice of words ... but I was trying to describe something that could happen to either sex ...
:roll:

maybe I just should have said "rip one's private parts off or out".

Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts