GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm in the process of installing my new Utopia back rest. Holes are drilled, boot is in place, knife is in hand. May the force be with me as I make that cut into my seat.

Any last minute tips or hints?

Rick B
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red

·
Registered
498 Posts
Measure twice so you only have to cut once, close your eyes and go for it. Did mine this winter and it wasn't bad.

Haven't had good enough weather to take it out and ride since then, but sitting on the bike in the garage it feels pretty good. I may need to get the handlebar risers next.

Good luck on the cut.

Paul H.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Rik,

By the time you read this, you are going to be standing back, hands on hips, saying to yourself " I did a fine job".

You will be happy with the new purchase.

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Don't sneeze while cutting?

LOL

I am sure you got the job finished just fine.

Rikkitik said:
Greetings,

I'm in the process of installing my new Utopia back rest. Holes are drilled, boot is in place, knife is in hand. May the force be with me as I make that cut into my seat.

Any last minute tips or hints?

Rick B
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I had to have a beer before I plunged that knife into that new seat. It isn't so bad... after you do it...

Having the backrest is more than worth it.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
youall are way too brave for me

i sent mine goldwing seat to utopia for them to do it

after the butcher job on my pacific coast, it was well worth it

loren

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Loren,

I wish I had your money to do stuff like that. Shoot I would have had all my stuff installed by Experts.

But since I am dealing, only with my money, I guess I will have to do it the old fashioned hard way. Myself !

But since I like to tinker, I would have missed the fun!

Bulldog

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
bulldog

it is waaaay cheaper to have utopia do it than to have old loren do it and then need to pay to have the seat recovered in the end

ya see old loren just went through that real recently with his pacific coast seat

i may be a little slow, but that one i had figured out the second time arround

one nice thing that utopia did for my goldwing seat was to sew a little flap to cover the hole--in the event i would ride without the removeable backrest in place

or if i park it and take the backrest off for security

the hole is nicely covered

utopia charges $ 20 to install the removeable on a goldwing

i call it cheap loren proofing

loren

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings,

IT'S DONE! And only with a modicum of profanity, one minor cut (knife was too sharp evidently), and with a liberal dose of holding the mouth right.

It isn't hard....but plunging that big ole knife into the seat was traumatic even after measuring multiple times and looking at the rather crappy pictures on the instruction sheet ad nauseum.

Now...if the weather holds, it will get a good tryout in the morning.

Rick B
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Bulldog said:
Loren,

It is well, to know ones weakness. I have yet to acknowledge mine.

there becomes a time in life when you need to understand what you can do, cant do, and should do

trouble is once you get that smart, theres not much for you to do

because we put that off as long as possible

a very wise person told me a long time ago

you may as well laugh at your mess ups

becasue everyone is going to

loren

·
Registered
91 Posts
Loren,

As Dirty Harry once said....."A man has to know his limitations". I am all for doing for ones self, but if there is any doubt you sure can't beat the professional touch. Trust me, I have spent more $$$ at times having things fixed than I would have in having it done professionally the first time :cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts