GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I sold my older Wing with a Utopia backrest and was very pleased with the product. So, when I got my 2010, I figured how hard could this be to install? (I paid to have the other installed) My biggest concern was cutting the slit in the seat. I'm a genius when it comes to making expensive mistakes! I went to the Utopia web site and found instructions from Steve Saunders on doing the installation WITH pictures. I like PICTURES! Utopia apparently liked them too because his tutorial allowed me to do the installation in about 30 -40 minutes and they put the tutorial on their site. If I had to do it a second time I think I could do it in 15 minutes. The seat is centered, secure, and looks great.

If you're not a do-it-yourself type, save yourself $75 and do this job yourself.

The other major work I do on my bike is checking air pressure and adding air to the tires. I could screw this up too! :thumbup:

Kid

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great

That will be my next purchase , you seem confident and should have no worries. I too would be nervice making the cut. Like to get mine next week

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I installed my Utopia a few weeks ago on my own 2010 WIng. I must have watched the videos 5 times before I dared take the X-Acto knife in my hand. Even then I think that I would have rather performed my own circumcision than to take a sharp knife to my beautiful saddle but I took a deep breath and before I knew it I had my wonderful new backrest mounted and mounted the way it was supposed to be as well! Hurrah! Now then, if I ever have to mount one again I think that I might be able to do so without all the sweating of the bullets. Not so bad after all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installing the Utopia

When you remove the seat by removing the 4 passenger handle bolts, the seat needs to be pulled back slightly as it hooks under the front portion of the tank. You'll stand on the left side of the bike and rotate the seat on the side. There is enough slack on the heated seat wires that you can unhook it easily.

Once you take the seat off the underside is transparent and you can see the wires underneath so you won't cut them. The instructions on the Utopia website tells you to take the serrated knife and make the incision with the "business end" of the blade facing away from the wires. When looking at the underside, you'll see what he means. Trust me this is pretty easy. Pay close attention to the angle at which you cut the hole through the seat. It will making lining up the holes a bit easier.

I just learned how to put gas in the tank! :thumbup:

Kid

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Nothing to it. I have cut several customer bikes and I don't feel a thing...

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Did you install it on a heated seat? My biggest concern is cutting through a wire.

Yeah, mine is heated. The directions include the heated seats. I musta done it right because mine still work. I used them last week up at Glacier Park.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Measure twice, cut once.

Between the Utopia backrest and the ****-o-Pegs, I only need to stop for food, fuel, and sleep.
And the restroom.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Measure twice, cut once.

Between the Utopia backrest and the ****-o-Pegs, I only need to stop for food, fuel, and sleep.
And the restroom.
Depends will solve that problem. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The video is a big help. I put one on my 08 a few years back and it was easy, The hardest part was getting all the padding out once you cut through it to slide the bracket in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good words of encouragement! :thumbup: I’m getting ready to do mine.
I asked my dealer, he wanted $130.00 to do it. :eek:4:
I don't think so.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cutting the foam

I used a bread knife with a serrated edge to cut through the foam. I just made sure I went back and forth about twenty times at the correct angle (this is the key) and I slid the post straight down to the drilled holes. I didn't have to do any foam removing or clearing out the slot at all. Just back and forth a bunch of times and I was done. I do recommend doing this on a table rather than the floor. Piece of cake. $130.00 is too much... I would say if changing oil and filter is a 2 on a difficulty scale of 10, this is probably a 3.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Did you install it on a heated seat? My biggest concern is cutting through a wire.
You'd have to go nuts with the knife to cut the wires. Just go easy and smoothly and you'll do fine... takes a bit of pressure to push the knife into the foam and separate it. Lots of people here have install their own Utopia. I'm not aware of anyone saying they f^ck it up or actually cut the wires. Not aware of anyone doing the cut in the seat bad either, but be aware a new razor blade will easily cut through it... do not plan on it needing a lot of pressure to make the cut...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
When the instructions say to grab a drill and an 8 in. serrated knife, it would make anyone cringe. :eek:4:
Easy enough to install, just measure, mark, measure, mark, measure,mark, then cut. LOL

Cheers.

·
Trained Killer Member
1,533 Posts
You'd have to go nuts with the knife to cut the wires. Just go easy and smoothly and you'll do fine... takes a bit of pressure to push the knife into the foam and separate it. Lots of people here have install their own Utopia. I'm not aware of anyone saying they f^ck it up or actually cut the wires. Not aware of anyone doing the cut in the seat bad either, but be aware a new razor blade will easily cut through it... do not plan on it needing a lot of pressure to make the cut...
Well Doc...I hate to be the one that ruined the track record, but the Utopia was the very first mod I attempted on my brand new wing back in '07. Those who know me know that I have a few talents, but mechanics ain't one of 'em. Sure as s#*t, I commenced to stabbing the seat just like the pics showed. What I didn't realize was that I was NOT cutting at the proper angle and the knife came through at the botton of the backrest portion of the seat! :22yikes: After many choice words, I tried to tackle the risers install next, only to forget to get the grip heater wire out from between the risers and the tree and ended up slicing the wire. Needless to say, I befriended a wonderfully skilled fellow biker, BARTMAN, who proceeded to help me put on many, many more mods through these last 4 years. :bow: We became very close (I think mostly because he laughs so hard at my expense). I've learned a helluva lot from him and enjoyed the fellowship greatly.

Sometimes we have to know our limitations. Granted, most on these boards are crazy smart and know how to fix or modify just about anything when it comes to their bikes. Then there are those like me that simply opt for playing "gopher", chogiboy, whatever, listen and do what they say, or, as in most cases with Bartster and me, just stay the hell out of the way! It usually only costs me a few drinks and dinner....a small price to pay! :thumbup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Utopia Seats

Do it yourself, take your time, follow directions and you'll save money. If you can follow pictures from the Utopia website it will work out fine.

If you can boil water you can do this. :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts