GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a member who is looking to install a backrest on his 2012. Anyone know what the seat design difference is on the 2012 seat and if it might preclude installing the Utopia that many of us have come to love ? Member claims that Utopia has one for the 2012 but only instructions for the prior 2012 model. Is it all the same ?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts

Call Utopia @ 888+343-3320
Also, if one will fit and you intend to remove the pad at times, I strongly suggest you get the Quick Out option also. I didn't and have had problems w/the sun/heat causing the cutout cover that adheres to the seat to curl up and detach itself from the seat. No problem if you are going to leave the pad on and never remove it!
Dawg

·
Registered
168 Posts
I installed the Utopia backrest on my 2012.

It was the standard GL1800 backrest advertised as

This Made in USA Utopia Backrest is the Original High Quality In Seat Style Backrest designed for the GL1800 Goldwing that fits any year GL1800 Goldwing motorcycle, including the heated seat version."

20 minutes , easy install :)

I did notice though that when the backrest is installed onto the bracket it does push the seat cushion down a tiny bit. That must be the extra width coming into play. But it is not noticeable.

·
Vendor
18,440 Posts
Have a member who is looking to install a backrest on his 2012. Anyone know what the seat design difference is on the 2012 seat and if it might preclude installing the Utopia that many of us have come to love ? Member claims that Utopia has one for the 2012 but only instructions for the prior 2012 model. Is it all the same ?
Not able to answer your origianl question but think that is the backrest where you have to unscrew the relay box and let it lay loose on the rear fender to make room for the back brace support that attaches under the seat. Having to remove screws and let important parts hang loose so aftermarket stuff can work is not cool. In my book, that is a hack job ... just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My 2009 Wing seat had 2 seams that had flaws that looked like they were trying to separate. Honda replaced the seat 2 weeks ago. I have always complained that the cutout in the shelter is visible as an oblong hole at the front left of the seat.
The dealer admitted a lot of customers who purchased the 2009 model had the same complaint. I installed the new seat and the hole is covered. This leads me to believe their was a batch of seats on the 2009 that were too narrow in the front :22yikes:.
I made the stab in the new seat for the Utopia install. I usually get all excited as the knife pierces the new seat:a13:. Then I got worried because the knife was not long enough even though it was OK on the first seat :eek:4:.
The new seat is about 1/2" thicker. I used a hacksaw blade :idea: to cut the extra 1/2".
If in doubt call Utopia prior to cutting a seat on a new model.
As a side note: If you call Utopia and tell them you are moving your backrest to a new seat, they will send you 2 slit covers or whatever they call them FREE.
A great company to do business with :thumbup:

·
Registered
479 Posts
The only bad thing about a Utopia back rest for the 2012 GW is:
According to thier web site, they are unable to get the same "dimppled" patern material that is used on the 12's.
So now the material is going to be mismatched on the seat & back rest, this might not matter to some people but I would rather it be the same.
Anyone have a idea if they may come up with matching material later on?
Maybe perforated material would be closer then plain smooth material?
Actualy perforated would be nice, it might help it breath a little.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looks like it matches almost perfectly to me.
Are you saying the Utopia back rest for the 2012 GW does have a dimpled pattern simular to the material used on the 2012 GW seat?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hold the phone . Someone on here has a 2012 Goldwing WITH a Utopia Backrest installed ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hold the phone . Someone on here has a 2012 Goldwing WITH a Utopia Backrest installed ?
Thats the impression I get from Hailrazer

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes I installed the Utopia backrest on my 2012.

It was a very easy install, just followed the instructions on this site.

No it doesn't have dimples, but the top half of the front and back seat don't have dimples so it really matches perfectly.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes I installed the Utopia backrest on my 2012.

It was a very easy install, just followed the instructions on this site.

No it doesn't have dimples, but the top half of the front and back seat don't have dimples so it really matches perfectly.
Yours does not have dimples on the pasanger backrest?
Mine does
:confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
A good pic would put it to rest.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hard to see much from the pictures, but I think I know what you are talking about.
I still think the Utopia backrest needs the dimples to really match right.
I am sure yours looks good and as long as you like it thats all that counts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts