GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the utopia backrest on my 06 Wing and I love the way it feels. A couple of months later the heated seats and handgrips don't work. My dealer says it is because of the installation of the backrest. I followed the instructions carefully and do not beleive that is the cause of the seat malfuntion. Has anyone else had this problem after installing the Utopia?

·
Registered
203 Posts
azbob, I just installed my backrest this week. On this board someone said the outside air temperature had to be so cold for the seats to heat. Supposedly the the colder the better they heat. Don't know. I think they said like 50 decrees or cooler. So don't know how warm it is at your place. Richard

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Did the heat work at all after the installation of the backrest? If so, your dealer is incompetent to just assume the problem is the backrest.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
azbob said:
I installed the utopia backrest on my 06 Wing and I love the way it feels. A couple of months later the heated seats and handgrips don't work. My dealer says it is because of the installation of the backrest. I followed the instructions carefully and do not beleive that is the cause of the seat malfuntion. Has anyone else had this problem after installing the Utopia?
I doubt this is the case. When you were cutting out the foam you would of had to slice through that thick sheathing on the internal harness that runs along side of where the brace went. Take your seat off flip it over and look for any hot spots or burns on the plastic seat pan. Make sure the main seat harness was fully interlocked at the connector, then look at the fuses.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Are you sure you used the mounting bracket made specifically for the heated seats? It has a relief cut out of it to allow for the seat wiring. I know lots of folks have successfully installed this back rest on a Wing with heated seats, but I stayed away from it for this very reason. I didn't want to take a chance on damaging a wire.

Just a thought.
Good luck...!

·
Registered
143 Posts
utopia install

Just installed my seat back last week and it worked fine on our New Years Day ride. Temp was 36 degrees this morning. You really would have to cut through the sleeving that protects the wiring to be in trouble. I think you would have felt that. I was able to see the knife blade come into view as I slid it in. Check and see if everything is plugged in under the seat and make sure it is cool out our you won't see much if any heat. Tom

·
Registered
203 Posts
i found this on another web site that was talking about desmoging the VTX. It names an law that the dealer has to prove that the backrest caused the problem, which I don't think they can.

A lot of people ask about the warranty aspect of doing this mod. The bottom line is that it will depend on your dealer and how much of a pain they want to be. Technically they cannot refuse you warranty service based on this mod, but some will because - well because many dealers are a pain in the ass. So they may give you grief over it, but if you call Honda of America (bypassing the dealer) they should make them honor the warranty.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a vehicle warranty law - US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312 states "Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle." This means that if a dealer tries to void your warranty based on modification to the vehicle then they have to prove (They have to prove, not you) that the problem you're having was caused by the mod you did. Since the desmog (when done properly) cannot cause problems on the bike they would be forced to honor the warranty.

Hope this helps you get your seat heaters fixed

Richard

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I have checked the connectors and they are plugged in. I am supposed to hear from Honda this week as to weather or not they will honor the warranty. I did get the notched bar for the heated seats and was very careful about cutting. I will let you know how my dealer and Honda handle this situation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am happy to say that the dealer and Honda has verified that the installation of my Utopia backrest is not responsible for the heated seats and grips not working and they have ordered a new seat for me. They tried one from a floor model on my bike and everything worked fine. Now I just have to install again the backrest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts