GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the Utopia Backrest from Hal and plan on doing the install this afternoon.

Any Gotchas to look out for or any Sage Advice from the Collective?

Thx in Advance!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Dave , it's pretty straight forward. Once you get past slicing a hole in the seat, it's goes well. The seat pan is translucent so you can see the wiring. The one thing for me was using the serrated knife, it didn't clear out enough foam to slide the bar through, so I used a sawzall blade and that cut the foam out better. Your gonna love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Utopia Install

I installed one a few months back, but not on a heated seat, although the instructions do give you plenty of info on wire locations etc....

The only difficulty I had was taking out a sufficient amount of foam to be able to line up the insert bar and the belly pan bracket holes. I was trying to be ultra careful with the "bread knife" and it took a fair amount of time to clean enough foam away from the belly pan to be able to line up the mounting holes. The key is to make sure that you have a good "angle of attack" when sawing away at the foam to make your channel.

Follow the instructions and watch the Steve Saunders install video and you may be one of the lucky ones whose bracket and bar line up perfectly the first time you put the bar into the seat. Once you have it on you will truly enjoy this accessory.

M

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
utopia

I received the Utopia Backrest from Hal and plan on doing the install this afternoon.

Thx in Advance!
be carefull cutting out the notch i installed one on my bike and did just fine.a friend did his and cut a hole in the lower part of the seat,now his seat gets wet and foam comes out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
cutting the seat

Instead of a "bread knife" try an electric knife, no sawing motion needed. Someone suggested that to me after the bread knife did the damage

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

Thx in Advance!
WAIT! DON'T DO IT!:eek:4:
Just kidding..........piece of cake. :lol:
A little sweat on the brow won't hurt ya.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Put mine on a week or two ago. toook me an hour to get up the nerve to cut the hole in the seat and about 1/2 an hour to do the install. take you time and all will be well - definitely check out the install video.
now if the 5 feet of snow outside would melt I could try it out!!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was too easy!

Just the Cut that raises the pucker factor.

Got it in first time :joke:

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Take your time with the cutting and make sure the dull side of the blade is facing the seat heating wires. Also, I found that using an ice pick to align the holes and hold everything is place while inserting the bolts came in very handy. I was able to maneuver the metal pieces enough to get the holes to align perfectly so the bolt would easily screw into the plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts