GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was given the Utopia back rest as a gift for Fathers Day. Finally got a chance to install it today. Installation was virtuously painless and it feels very nice.

While I was working on the bike, I wired up my garage door opener too.

All's good and I'm gonna call it a productive day!! :p

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Congrats on your Utopia install! I did mine just over a week ago and I was sweating bullets taking a razor blade and bread knife to my beautiful saddle but it installed just fine. I used the heck out of it over the last two days on a 700 mile ride. Sure glad I got mine I will tell you that!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I just got a new seat under warranty. I get a chance to install the Utopia again :roll:. It is such a rush for me when I plunge that knife into a brand new seat :shock::eek:4:.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is such a rush for me when I plunge that knife into a brand new seat :shock::eek:4:.
Wonder if that apprehension with the knife/razor ever really goes away??

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
No. I get excited just thinking about that magic moment.
Maybe tonight. I had to ride the bike a couple times to make sure the heated seat works OK.
It does so now :excited::nojoke::lol:.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I ordered a Utopia about 2 or 3 weeks ago. When I ordered it they said it would be made July 25. While I was at Wing Ding I saw Wingsoft had and installed Utopia, so I called Utopia and ask if it would make anybody mad if I canceled my order and had Wingsoft insall one since they had several there, and they told me no problem. So I didn't have to cut my new seat, I let wingsoft do the honors. I put one on a Roadstar a few years ago and it was nerve racking then to cut a hole in the seat. The good thing about doing the Roadstar was it went on the passenger pillion and If I had messed it up there was plenty used ones out there cheap. But after I did it I didn't see why I was worried because it was a straight forward process.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'd rather be shot than ruin a stock seat, but glad the Chinese stuff works for you guys. I'll leave mine alone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Your going to enjoy the Back Rest :congrats:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did mine last night also. Rode about 80 miles today. AWESOME !!!!

Makes the almost perfect 2012 stock seat absolutely perfect. :congrats:

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I'd rather be shot than ruin a stock seat
Then it's a Good Thing that none of us ruined ours! All we did was improve them! Hooray for us! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I had a Utopia on my 2005 and absolutely loved it. When I traded up to a 2010 last summer, I told the dealer that I was going to keep my Windbender and backrest. I did not want to leave an ugly hole in the seat so I left the mounting hardware in the old seat and just kept the backrest.
When I got the new bike home, I emailed Utopia to order new hardware and got a polite email back telling me that they would not sell the parts separately.

Pretty lousy customer service.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I got around to stabbing the new replacement seat with that long serrated knife tonight. I missed most (maybe all :shrug:) of the heated seat wires as the seats still heat up as usual :shock:. That rush when I worked that serrated knife around in the wounded seat is still there :eek:4:. Just too much excitement to describe with words :22yikes::a13:.

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
I'd rather be shot than ruin a stock seat, but glad the Chinese stuff works for you guys. I'll leave mine alone.

I have tried the Utopia. I would not and don't have it on my 2010 bike. OEM seat is comfortable to me, it looks better without a backrest, it voids seat warranty, it hinders riders on getting on and off. Glad you like yours:yes1:

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's all personal preference, I disagree with everything said just above this post with the exception of voiding the seat warranty, who cares??:roll:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have tried the Utopia. I would not and don't have it on my 2010 bike. OEM seat is comfortable to me, it looks better without a backrest, it voids seat warranty, it hinders riders on getting on and off. Glad you like yours:yes1:
I also disagree.

It folds down so the passenger can get on just as easily. It looks better with the backrest as the seat has a more uniform look, backrest on the front, backrest on the back. Oem seat without the backrest is good, with the backrest I can ride for hundreds of miles more. Seat warranty. LOL it's a seat, they last a long long time.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Actually I think the Utopia most matches the existing upolstery of all of the makes available. At a certain age (which I fall in) it's all about back comfort. When I was 35 this accessory was unnecesary.

mike
09 CBC

·
Banned
1,128 Posts

I also disagree with everything said above! I love my backrest! It looks great, folds down, and who the hell cares about a seat warranty? LOL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts