GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a Utopia backrest but have noticed that every one I have seen on a bike parked somewhere looks like it is loose, flopping down onto the drivers seat or flipped back onto the pass. seat.

This looks pretty ugly to me, so I am wondering if they can be tightened up some so it sits more upright when not being used?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Yeah, I could on mine until I replaced the bolt with a quick release pin. It usually stays up on it's own though unless I put it down.

B

·
0 Posts
JoeRocket2 said:
I am considering a Utopia backrest but have noticed that every one I have seen on a bike parked somewhere looks like it is loose, flopping down onto the drivers seat or flipped back onto the pass. seat.
This is usually done so the passenger can get off or on more easily. You don't have to leave it like that but many of us do.

JoeRocket2 said:
This looks pretty ugly to me, so I am wondering if they can be tightened up some so it sits more upright when not being used?

Thanks,

Joe
Yes you can tighten it. BTW - the Utopia is very comfortable, adjustable up and down and tilt. And it doesn't have any side bars that are uncomfortable to some passengers.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I enjoy the fact that it does fold like that. When my back is acting up - this is the only way I can mount the bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Utopia Back Rest

OK Guys,

first question...how difficult is it to install one of these correctly?

second question....how much courage does it take to "cut" into the seat with a knife when doing the install????

Come on ...lets's here the replies!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you ride 2-up you want the Utopia. I have the Kuryakyn and I'm going to buy a Utopia because the bars on the Kuryakyn get in the way of my wife's legs (see my sig pic). I have to take the back rest off when we ride together..which is a nice featuer of the Kuryakyn...it just pops right off with no tools. My friend put a Utopia on his GL1800 just last week, and my wife gave the seal of approval after sitting on his.

·
Registered
892 Posts
"first question...how difficult is it to install one of these correctly?

second question....how much courage does it take to "cut" into the seat with a knife when doing the install???? "

Two beers will help a lot..Just do it . I never take my backrest off. It is great and looks like it was put there in the honda factory.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My wife helped me measure and re-measure for proper location, but couldn't bear to watch me take a bread knife to my virgin seat.

Took a big gulp of Pepsi to calm my nerves and sliced 'er up. Not too bad, but had to do more gouging of foam than I hoped. It's a great addition and was the first add-on I added on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, if the backrest is tightened up a bit so that it will stand up somewhat on it's own, can you still move it forward a little when the pass. gets on...snug fit but moveable with pressure?

Also, anyone know how the removable version "removes"? I kind of like the idea of being able to ditch it for shorter distance riding.

Any pros/cons other than the obvious?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I got the pin you can use so the backrest is removable. I wanted the option to use it or not as I wanted. Since installing it, I never take it off. Just never saw the need to.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The pin simply replaces the horizontal bolt you see here. (the vertical one is for seat adjustment forward and back)

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I have the Utopia on my Wing and it is very comfortable. I have never had a problem with my Utopia flopping down or flipping back while parked, although I do alway stand the back rest up right after a passenger gets off of the bike.

The only thing I haven't liked about the Utopia is that the bag that hangs on the back of the backrest would alway flip up and hit me in the back with the wind when I ride solo annoying the heck out of me....not to mention it doesn't look too cool with the darn bag flipping around at highway speeds. I put some small Velcro patches on the back of the backrest to hold the bag down to the backrest and that works, but I have had a problem keeping the Velcro from coming off the backrest and leaving a small gooey mess at times.

Another option for a drivers backrest is the Wing Master that Chrome World sells. I installed one on a friends 06 and the Wing Master installs just like the Utopia and is every bit as nice as the Utopia. The Wing Master also has a nice sewed in Velcro strap that holds the backrest bag in place so it doesn't flip around in the wind when riding solo. If I was buying a new drivers backrest it would be the Wing Master.

C

·
0 Posts
1Percent said:
The pin simply replaces the horizontal bolt you see here. (the vertical one is for seat adjustment forward and back)
Thats funny....my Utopia just pulls straight up & out of the socket....
There is no removeable pin

·
Registered
90 Posts
Best place to purchase?

Any thoughts on where is the best place to purchase the Utopia backrest? I have seen several backrests that look like knock offs. I also would like to get the pin option and cant find it anywhere.

Thanks

Loren

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you have a GW specialty shop for parts and service, I would go there. I am fortunate to have one within a few miles of my house. The shop comes highly recommended.

I am going to have them do the installation. I would rather pay the professionals to do it instead of attempting it myself.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Re: Best place to purchase?

lorenedopp said:
Any thoughts on where is the best place to purchase the Utopia backrest? I have seen several backrests that look like knock offs. I also would like to get the pin option and cant find it anywhere.

Thanks

Loren
follow this path. I just bought it from them and it looks great!

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =828029865

1 - 20 of 30 Posts