• Take backrest off a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quickoutpullup cp.jpg Quickoutflap.jpg

If you have a Quick Our Bar, do you really use your Utopia Quick Out Bar to remove your backrest?

I've got a Utopia backrest coming for my Wing soon.

Don't have any back problems but see value in the backrest for mitigating back fatigue on longer rides.

Worried that my shorter wife will have trouble getting onto the Wing with the backrest (even in the down position).

Ride 2-up often.

Just trying to understand if it's worth the money to get it this removeable option?

Oh wise ones, your thoughts are sought out.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Short wife and Utopia backrest here. It folds forward just fine and she has no (more) trouble (than she usually would) mounting or dismounting the bike.

Reactions: jtdunc

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
So, it becomes a sequencing issue. As in how one gets on and off the bike.

I'm on the bike first, thus no backrest in the way when she climbs on (at 5' 2", she's short...)

I get off the bike first, then she'll fold down the backrest; then right leg slides over the folded over backrest. From that, a short (6" freefall) to the ground onto both feet on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
So, it becomes a sequencing issue. As in how one gets on and off the bike.

I'm on the bike first, thus no backrest in the way when she climbs on (at 5' 2", she's short...)

I get off the bike first, then she'll fold down the backrest; then right leg slides over the folded over backrest. From that, a short (6" freefall) to the ground onto both feet on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have it and would sure do it again. There are times when I just don't want the feel of it back there. Easier to pull it than deal with backing off the setscrew.
Also when taking it into the shop I pull it so the service guy isn't scraping his foot against the seat getting on and off.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I've had one on every bike since they first introduced it. It folds down flat enough that anyone can get on.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My wife rarely rides with me, so I leave the backrest on all of the time. When she does ride with me, I get on first, and she steps up (on left passenger peg) and swings her leg over/through. For the dismount, I get off first (with Wing on the side stand) and lay the backrest forward. Her right leg goes over the top of the flattened backrest, and she slides/steps off.

Of course, most of the manufacturer's lawyer teams will state that the backrest should not be used when carrying a passenger, but who pays attention to them?

·
Registered
597 Posts
View attachment 375448 View attachment 375449

If you have a Quick Our Bar, do you really use your Utopia Quick Out Bar to remove your backrest?

Don't have any back problems but see value in the backrest for mitigating back fatigue on longer rides.

Worried that my shorter wife will have trouble getting onto the Wing with the backrest (even in the down position).

Ride 2-up often.

Just trying to understand if it's worth the money to get it this removeable option?

Had to adjust to a place where I don't feel it there, unless I lean back into it. Then, used MBL riser/set back (wide) handlebar risers ( some prefer narrow). That way, I don't feel like I am stretching out to the grips, if using it. Once that was done, I am satisfied with it. Of course, we step-through to climb on and off. I set the pivot tighter, so we don't fold it over. I did that, because I hate the thing flopping onto my back, when I crouch forward. I only remove it when I am servicing the bike by removing the seat. , it is great!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Being tall-ish (5’15”) I enjoy the typical low back issues.
I put on the Utopia on** many years ago and I have never, ever suffered Backache On long rides. My bride is about 5’5” and has never complained or had difficulty mounting/dismounting.

Id give up cruise control before my Utopia - and you can bet the farm that the cruise is staying!

**When I first put the Utopia on I went for a short ride. It was annoying! A little adjustment of the set screw and it’s been wonderful ever since.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
View attachment 375448 View attachment 375449

Ride 2-up often.

Good choice on utopia. I use the removable feature when carrying a passenger. Bungie it to the trunk rack or put in saddle bag. Same for both my 08 and 18.

Reactions: jtdunc
1 - 11 of 11 Posts