GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
It is a good backrest but they changed the placement of the mounting bolts . My understanding is it was to accommodate the change in the seat of the 12 -17 wings. I personally don't feel it is as good as the older design that was on my 06.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I can't speak for "most", but I selected the Utopia for my 2018 Goldwing. And, I'm very satisfied with it. I really like the support it offers and the added pouch is a nice addition.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Utopia?

I’m happy with mine on an 06.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I love mine and think of riding with out it. Haven't had any other on the wing to compare though. A bit scary taking a bread knife to your seat, especially when you have to worry about the heating wires

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Unless you get one associated with a custom seat such as Corbin, I think Utopia is the standard. Yeah, a little unnerving taking a knife to your seat, and a bit annoying when you want to remove it for what ever reason. I much prefer it compared to others with the external frames. The one thing that would make it absolutely perfect is if they would make a quick disconnect that allows you to remove it from the bracket without removing the seat, and a cover that could be placed on the remaining bracket top to protect the seat and passenger.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm happy with my Showchrome back rest that bolts on with the seat bolts.
BIL has the Utopia backrest and I honestly can't tell a difference. Passenger probably can though.
I do know that I wouldn't want to ride without one now, no matter what brand or style.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Extremely happy with my Utopia Backrest. Before I bought it I placed a poll (this was a few years ago I think) here and the overwhelming recommendation was for the Utopia. I can't recall what came in second place, but I do remember that it wasn't even close. I did replace the Pivot Bolt they supply with a Locking Pin (see attached picture) for quick and easy removal and installation.

Oh, part of the installation requires that you cut a hole/slot in the seat. While plunging a knife into a perfectly fine seat is never a comfortable thing to do (or to contemplate); if you follow their directions its pretty straight forward and in the end, it's nothing to be terribly concerned about.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I did replace the Pivot Bolt they supply with a Locking Pin (see attached picture) for quick and easy removal and installation.
Flippin brilliant! I love my backrest for long trips, but for those days when I'm just putting around town and climbing on and off a lot, that's the ticket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wife's trike came with a Utopia. After riding it for a brief period, I decided that I wanted one on my two wheeler. Cutting into the seat scared the crap out of me, but I did it and did it well and have no regrets. I love it. Helped my friend install one on his new trike last week and he loves it. I would recommend it to anyone. It is a back saver.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is Utopia backrest still the brand that is preferred by most Goldwing riders?
Can't be beat! Especially since it doesn't require an external mount.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Is Utopia backrest still the brand that is preferred by most Goldwing riders?

As stated above and many times before UTOPIA is far and above anything else,, excellent engineering, will last forever. Easy install, Excellent company to deal with, I have had one on each of my past 4 m/c's, over 30yr,s & 1/2 million miles & before that i always suffered with back and shoulder pain, then nothing after the Utopia.

AND I do not own the company..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Never liked a back rest as I hate not being able to swing my leg to mount. Had one on an Ultimate seat and removed it along with the seat LOL. Just my experience.

Fred

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
:clap2: LOVE my UTOPIA!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts