GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Hal is having a sale I'm looking at purchasing the Utopia backrest, but somewhere I read about the quickout option -- Hal doesn't have one with the quickout option listed on the website (it is only on Utopia's website and it runs $65.00, but he does show a pin to convert the backrest to a quick release (about $8.00). Has anyone used this pin or the actual quickout option from Utopia? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have one with the pin. It is quick removable, but allows the seat back to flop forward anytime your aren't using it. Damned nuisance as far as I'm concerned - took it off and put the standard nut and bolt back on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pain . im going to put a bolt in mine !

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I got the pin for mine. I haven't needed to take it off but I like to know I can quickly if I need to. It does flop forward sometimes but so what? If I bother to put it back up it stays.

I don't think I'd pay the extra for the quick release. I don't have a co-rider though either - it may be more important if you wanted to remove it when someone is riding with you. With the pin a small part still comes out above the seat. I think with the quick release your don't have that and I also think there is a flap to cover the hole. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have the quickout option and would highly recomend it. I think if you use the pin option the back rest and part of the post comes off. This leaves a short part of the post sticking up. With the quickout version the back rest and entire post come out. Well worth the extra money. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts