GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and Happy New Year.
I am considering purchasing a Utpoia backrest for my 06 Wing however I am concerned about the heigth of it when folded down. When my wife gets on she sits on the back seat sort of sideways and then swings her right leg over. I am concerned about the extra height she may have to lift her leg. Does anyone have a good side veiw picture of their back rest when it is folded down flat. If so I would sure like to see some.

Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just installed on 12/20. Mine lays almost flat to the front. No problem here.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
It folds pretty low. Should not be a problem. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
This is my 2006. The back removes real easy, which I do when the SO rides with me 'cause I like her backrests better! They also make a quick-release pin that you can get to replace the bolt.

Sorry about the messy garage.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
When my wife gets off the rear seat her leg pushes down on the Utopia while it lays forward. Makes me wince (sp) when it happens because I don't know if the bracket underneath is getting bent. I've been thinking about putting a quick release pin in it so I can remove it before she gets off.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
twyn said:
...I don't know if the bracket underneath is getting bent. ...
It's been a while since I installed mine, but if I remember right, the bar is either 1/8" or 1/4" steel plate. I don't think there is much chance of her bending the bar.

As for AlbertaDoug's question: my wife gets on/off the same way your wife does (is yours "vertically challenged, too? LOL) and she doesn't have any problems when I fold it down like everyone mentioned.

Go for the Utopia and the only regret you will have is that you didn't buy it earlier! ;)

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Any problem on the Heated 06/07 seats?

I have a Crome Werks Backrest now and have had them in the past but thinking of changing to the Utopia style...course have to sell the current one first.....

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
KYBLUE said:
Any problem on the Heated 06/07 seats?

I have a Crome Werks Backrest now and have had them in the past but thinking of changing to the Utopia style...course have to sell the current one first.....
No problem at all, the Utopia actually includes a model specific direction sheet on 06 & 07's with heated seats. Works great, Terry

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
The way I see it, you have two additional options:

1: Go with the quick out option (I did and have yet to use it), the Utopia pulls right out and drops right back in. At least it is there if I ever need it.

2: Ever since the wife went to the GWRRA Co-Rider class and learned the proper way to get on and off of the Wing (while I am on the bike), she has never been bothered by the Utopia. In fact she never even comes close to it. Besides learning how to get on and off, she learned many other tips as well. Well worth the investment of a couple of hours and I highly recommend it to all co-riders!

Happy New Year :capwin:

BAT

P

·
0 Posts
Just a note here, be sure to get the actual Utopia and not a cheaper after market backest. Not an experience I wish to pass on to others.

Pat

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just installed my Utopia back rest WITH the quick release option. Took a little while to get the bracket fed through the seat, but after that it went great. It folds down forward great. It also lifts out really easily.

Loren

G

·
0 Posts
:yes1: The utopia backrest is by far the best accessory I have installed, it was also one of the first, I can't imagine taking a long ride without it. No problem at all for my better half. Only thing I wish was different is the small bolt that you turn by hand to adjust the backrest forward and backward is very hard to move by hand. Mybe I need to put a drop of amsoil on the threads 8)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I really liked the Utopia on my 2002
but when the bike made a quick stop, against the wheel of a cage, :oops: the wife slid forward into it.
The whole assembly came out of the seat when the plastic seat mold broke.
If the bracket was bent, it wasn't enough to be obvious.
The Utopia assembly broke Pat's pelvic bone. :cry:
She was in pain, using a walker, for about a month.
I'll be using a KhromeWorks adjustable backrest from now on
because there is no metal bracket in that area that can hurt her.

By the way, my wife wears braces on both legs and she still had no problem
getting her leg over the Utopia (with it pivoted forward) to get off the bike.
So if you go with the Utopia, there shouldn't be any problem there.
DC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts