GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
alabamaWing,

The only thing that was hard about the whole process, was making that first cut in the seat!!! :shock: Remember the old saying, measure twice, cut once!!!

You have the comfort package I see, double check where the wiring harness runs under the seat and becareful not to nick that. Other than that, a very simple install and a great backrest.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
See we're from the same general area, be glad to help you out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
... and make certain the knife you use to make the cut is long enough to reach the necessary depth; hold the knife next to the seat to visualize the correct cut angle; be confident in your decision to install your own and your ability; ignore those thoughts that creep into the back of your mind only after you've plunged the blade into your seat... you know... the thought that starts S#!T! I wonder if I can patch this or maybe buy a used seat on ebay. NOT TO WORRY! It's really not that difficult to get it done right and you are going to enjoy the results. Oh yeah, post when you're done so we can open our eyes and stop holding our breath. :beer3:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is this hard to install? Thanks in advance.
Only if you're an anal over-killing, overthinking artard like me. I didn't like the way the bracket sat under the seat. It wasn't perfectly flat. So, I removed it, filled the holes and reinstalled. I added some industrial epoxy called Plexis and a metal backing plate. I also changed out all the hardware with stainless and locking nuts and rubber washers. I even added a rubber bumper for the adjusting bolt up top. Oh yea, and I removed the seat cover so I could add extra foam around where the Utopia's bar goes through as I could swear I noticed a void after install :roll: .

So, is it hard to install? No, 'less you've the sickness... :lol:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mp06011999 said:
Is this hard to install? Thanks in advance.
Only if you're an anal over-killing, overthinking artard like me. I didn't like the way the bracket sat under the seat. It wasn't perfectly flat. So, I removed it, filled the holes and reinstalled. I added some industrial epoxy called Plexis and a metal backing plate. I also changed out all the hardware with stainless and locking nuts and rubber washers. I even added a rubber bumper for the adjusting bolt up top. Oh yea, and I removed the seat cover so I could add extra foam around where the Utopia's bar goes through as I could swear I noticed a void after install :roll: .

So, is it hard to install? No, 'less you've the sickness... :lol:
love that avatar of the CT70

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's easy to install, just read and follow the instructions carefully.

Unless you go totally psycho with the knife you're not going to cut the heater wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts