GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot on this board about how wonderful the Utopia backrest is. I have been thinking about buying one, but I would like to see a bike with one installed and maybe ge able to sit on it to see how it feels.

Question. Does anyone know of someone in the Fort Worth / Arlington, TX area that might let me look at and just sit on the bike?

Thanks for any info you have.

I do read these posts alot, and have gotten so much information from this board.

Ron

·
Registered
143 Posts
Utopia seat back

I'm not in Texas but take the word of a fan and the many on this board that will swear by them. You won't be dissapointed. Tom

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
unless you are old and have a back problem don't get it

I got one and it just gets in the way

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
laen, take it off and send it to me, I can put it to good use. LOL

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Ron Johnson said:
I would like to see a bike with one installed
Ron
If you're in the neighborhood I'll let you take it for a ride. They're really comfortable and look stock.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Go to dealers and you should find a used one with an Utopia installed.I have installed two of them and never regreted it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Ron. I live up in Southlake. I'd be happy to have you try out my Utopia. Unfortunately, I'm leaving in the morning for a week long vacation and then I'll be out of town on business the next week. But if you want to wait until 10 Feb let me know and we'll arrange a time. BTW, the Utopia is GREAT.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
laen said:

Laen, You of course are entitled to your own opinion but I couldn't disagree with you more. I'm not old and fortunately have no back problems but wouldn't be without one. I'm built tall waisted so risers and the Utopia are the only way to have correct posture for me which translates into greatly reduced rider fatigue. The Utopia is like the difference between sitting in a recliner or a straight backed chair. Either will do the job, but one is much more comfortable for persons of any age. Surprisingly I also found that for me by shifting my body position slightly rearward it actually improves the balance and handling characteristics of the Wing, this is no bull. The way my Utopia pivots forward I don't feel it gets in the way either.Hey Ron if you come out to the Centerville meeting next weekend I'll let you check my out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am a shorter rider 5'6 ish (used to be taller now older :? ) I have had mine for 2.5 yrs now and appreciate a backrest, but...

IMO, the Utopia may be better for a taller rider - especially considering the
contour of the OEM seat in relationship to the way you mount the Utopia.

The mount was a bit difficult because you have to decide what angle and approach point to start from when you insert a knife into the top of the OEM seat.

The plus is the Utopia is a very clean looking add-on vs. the look of the external brackets for the other seats, and it is cheaper than the other backrest options.

From the appearance of the other backrests with the external mounting systems, looks like you can slide them forward or backward laterally which gives further adjustment vs the Utopia which can only be adjusted up or down for backrest position.

If it were me, I'd QUERY for board members who have the other types (kuryaken etc.) and try those as a comparison. If you like the look of a lot of chrome that comes with the other options, and find extra adjustability a plus ... well enough said.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
From the appearance of the other backrests with the external mounting systems, looks like you can slide them forward or backward laterally which gives further adjustment vs the Utopia which can only be adjusted up or down for backrest position.
That is not true. The Utopia has a bolt and jam nut setup that allows you to adjust it forward and back. There is quite a bit of adjustment there. While it cannot be adjusted on the fly, who would want to? Once you set it, you will never adjust it again. I have mine set so that during agressive riding my back never touches it, but when relaxing on a long ride I can take advantage of it.

Cutting the seat can be a bit daunting, but as long as you read the instructions a number of times and fully understand what they are saying, you will not have any problems. I haven't read of anyone that has damaged their seat installing this backrest.

This is a very well thought out product. I don't have back problems either and I'm not old either, but it is the one accessory I would not want to give up. I have bought a lot of accessories over the years that were either cheaply made or did not perform the way I expected to, and this is NOT one of them.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
LarryM said:
Cutting the seat can be a bit daunting, but as long as you read the instructions a number of times and fully understand what they are saying, you will not have any problems. I haven't read of anyone that has damaged their seat installing this backrest.quote]

“Measure with a micrometer
Mark with chalk
Cut with a chainsaw”

WAIT>>>>>>>

That wont work with this installation.
I couldn’t bring myself to drive a knife through my seat so I had a dealer do the installation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Utopia has a bolt and jam nut setup that allows you to adjust it forward and back.
You're right, I forgot about the fore and aft movement of adjustor behind backrest - moves from a bottom pivot point.

what I meant to say was that the external mount backrests slide in a parallel plane to the ground/seat, combined with up and down adjustment allows a finer tune of backrest pad position

if questions I can forward a primitive diagram I made with MS Paint on a Word document

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
LarryM said:
The Utopia has a bolt and jam nut setup that allows you to adjust it forward and back. There is quite a bit of adjustment there. While it cannot be adjusted on the fly, who would want to?
I would want to, and Utopia's can be adjusted on the fly by removing the jam nut. Then just reach back and turn the screw in for more upright and out for more laid back, and they stay put even without the jam nut. Very few other back rests can be adjusted this way.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
laen said:

I have no back problems whatsoever. I intend to keep it that way so I'll keep my Utopia. It's never in the way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to apologize for taking so long to acknowledge all of you for your commments. I have been rather involved in some other things since the first post is the reason I have not answered sooner.

I appreciate everyones thoughts.

First, I do have a rather bad back from back surgery almost 35 years ago. So it is much eaiser on my back if I'm going on a trip of a couple of hundred miles to have something to lean back on.

I have to admit that I have a Kuryakyn backrest installed now. For me alone, it's very good. But when my lady gets on, she is so short, I have to remove the backrest. Her legs interfere with the uprights so that she can't get her feet on the foot rest.

So, if I can try one of these out and it will fit me, I will sacrifice the other one.

Wanderer,

I don't think I have the time right now to visit you since you are on the west coast. But I'm thinking of riding out to CA this spring to visit my number 3 son in Santa Barbara. Maybe we could meet and chat a little. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Texas Gold,

It looks like you are the closest to me. About 33 miles. I would like to wait until it warms up some before I come to see you. I am a lottle cold natured, since I have lived in Texas for all my 69 years taking in all the good ole Texas sun. I really don't like to jump on someone else's bike unless I know them well. I really think I can just sit on it while on the center stand and can tell whether it will work for me.

I have a question for LarryM.

Does the backrest move horizontally at the same angle, or does the backrest change angle when you move it?

Thanks, everyone. I have enjoyed this post.

Ron

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Does the backrest move horizontally at the same angle, or does the backrest change angle when you move it?
Well........... yes and no! :lol: :? Confused?

If you adjust the forward and back adjustment, the vertical bar will change its angle. However, the backrest is not fixed to the vertical bar. It can also pivot. Some people tighten that pivot so the the backrest is at a fixed angle, but some leave it loose so that when your back presses against it, it automatically conforms to the position of your back. I leave mine loose. Even if you do decide to make it tight, you can still force it to whatever position you want without having to loosen the bolt. (depending on how tight you make it.)

Did that make sense?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
To illustrate the articulated backrest joint see this photo:

Notice that the rest will also fold nicely forward for the passenger to mount/dismount if needed. (please excuse the messy garage)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts