GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about installing a Utopia backrest for my 03 Wing. For those who have it, have you found it makes a real and noticable difference? Also, what is the advantage, besides price, to Utopia vs the Honda rest? Thanks.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have one on my pacific coast and got one as soon a si got my wing. its holds the lower back and makes it more comfy.

i have the easy out on the wing, very nice for a passenger to get on.

loren

G

·
0 Posts
Can't say anything about the Honda backrest...haven't seen one.

I do have the Utopia, and wouldn't be without it...
a little support makes a huge difference in your riding
comfort. I don't have the quick-pin set-up, but my wife
has no issues with mounting/dismounting (always after
I'm on and the bike is upright). :wink:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
I love my Utopia backrest. Installation was easy and quick ( just follow the directions ). No 'side bars' to get in the passenger's way, and doesn't look like an add-on item. Looks stock.

I can't beat the comfort.....I have a bad back and need all the extra support that I can get. Makes a nice long day of riding more enjoyable.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
After riding with it on for so long, I find that if I'm ever in a situation where it's not on the bike, (I have the quick-disconnect version) I can feel the difference immediately.

One of the best additions I made, and probably the one that I would add if someone told me that I could only add one thing to the wing.

GO FOR IT!! You'll be glad you did!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I love it, but my wife dislikes it.
I haven't seen Honda's, but the
more expensive one's that are
shaped like an "O" probably don't
stab the passengers inner theighs
like the Utopia does. As far I for
me, it is missing nothing.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
We have the Utopia back rest, it was the first accessory we got for the Bike (and the belly pan)

I have a "bad back" I have marginal narrowing of Facet joints S1 & S2, I get cryogenic injection every 3-4 months and have been doing this since '93.

The Utopia is absolutely my favorite accessory, I can ride for hours w/o a problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Utopia was also the first accessory I put on my bike. I picked up the bike in the center of the State and had an 80 mile ride home without a back rest. By the time I got back I was misable (had a backrest on my 1500). Fortunately, it was Biketoberfest so I went straight down to the Gold Wing show and picked up a Utopia and installed it. Makes a huge difference in the ride!

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can't beat Utopia. While some may shy away from the install due to the need to "cut" the seat, it's a lot easier than imagined. The hardest part I've found, after two installs, is pushing the back-bar down into the seat and matching it up with the holes for the t-back brace that goes under the seat. With a little patience, it eventually all works out. And does it ever make a difference on the back during rides!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Love my Utopia...wouldnt be without it. strangest thing...the Utopia backrest made my radio work better, I've never had a flat tire since installing the Utopia, never have to wash my bike anymore, cb works better, changes my oil automatically, no front tire wobbles, adjusts my windshield automatically, improved fuel mileage, moved my handle bars back, keeps rain beads off my windshield, it is a chick magnet, automatically serves a five course Kentucky Fried Chicken dinner when applicable, keeps me in proper fluids, even tickles my fancy once in awhile as an added bonus...well..wont go into great detail on that one, and the number one bestest thing about a Utopia........MY BACK NO HURTIE ANYMORE!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ditto to all the above. The Utopia was the only accessory I got on my bike (except for the ABS) from the dealer. It gives you good support and nice adjustment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts