GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a utopia backrest, my question is are they fairly easy to add on . And do they fold down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
mac47,

Yes the Utopia is fairly easy to install, the biggest issue I has was a long enough (12" or better) serrated edged knife to make the deep cut in the seat. I also had a friend helping to hold the seat.

Yes the backrest does fold down.

Good Luck. You'll enjoy the backrest when it's done.

P.S. I do not have a heated seat, I have a friend who has installed the Utopia on a heated seat, you just have to be real careful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
mac47 said:
I am considering buying a utopia backrest, my question is are they fairly easy to add on . And do they fold down?
Do a search, there is a video by Steve Saunders on here that shows how to do it. Takes about 30 minutes or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,256 Posts
White Gold said:
mac47 said:
I am considering buying a utopia backrest, my question is are they fairly easy to add on . And do they fold down?
Do a search, there is a video by Steve Saunders on here that shows how to do it. Takes about 30 minutes or so.
It's on the link I posted. No need to search. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,179 Posts
The hardest part was my wife trying to decide whether she wanted a few Rum Sours, a bottle of cheap wine, or Valium to calm her nerves before watching me cut the seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
I have a 2006 with the heated seats,and was no problem.The only mistake I made was not cutting down at a angle.That was not mentioned.Hardest part was matching up the blankety-blank seat bolts when I was finished. You are going to love that backrest and it fold down so that the boss can get on and off easily....enjoy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Utopia Backrest

Measure, take your time, cut and bolt. Best investment I have made on my Wing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
The only thing that is stopping me from getting one is the concern my wife has about rain getting into the seat foam though the cut you have to make.She recovered the seat on my triumph but we had to leave it out in the shed for a month with the cover off it to get it dry and get the smell out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Alida&Richard Simiste said:
The only thing that is stopping me from getting one is the concern my wife has about rain getting into the seat foam though the cut you have to make.She recovered the seat on my triumph but we had to leave it out in the shed for a month with the cover off it to get it dry and get the smell out.
While I am presently w/o a wife :cry:, I have the same concern about whether rain will get into the seat where you make the opening for the backrest. Really would appreciate if some of you who have the Utopia and ride in rain, would share your experience in this regard. :D

Thanks

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
Just installed mine and went for a small ride..it feels great..can't wait to get on some long runs and see how feels. I read many a notes on backrests on this board and the unanimous decsion was 'UTOPIA'
Cheers

Ps. My wife bought it for an early Xmas present!
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
wvnnva said:
Alida&Richard Simiste said:
The only thing that is stopping me from getting one is the concern my wife has about rain getting into the seat foam though the cut you have to make.She recovered the seat on my triumph but we had to leave it out in the shed for a month with the cover off it to get it dry and get the smell out.
While I am presently w/o a wife :cry:, I have the same concern about whether rain will get into the seat where you make the opening for the backrest. Really would appreciate if some of you who have the Utopia and ride in rain, would share your experience in this regard. :D

Thanks

Todd
I personally don't do a lot of wet weather riding but came up with a way to fill o.e. seats backrest back out and seal it off after my Utopia installation. When you cut out the groove in the factory seat foam for the Utopia backrests brace it's not gonna be a precision cut or an exact science and more than likely you will cut away a little more foam than is necessary for proper placement. This leaves a slight void around the brace area. My solution was to mask off around the braces grommet trim and spray "a small amount of" expanding foam down in there. It will ooze out of the opening grommet some and when wet will stick to anything including your hands, thus the masking. Go easy with expanding foam just little expands a lot. When it dries completely trim it off, it fills the void and seals the opening off. It worked great for me. Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,256 Posts
wvnnva said:
While I am presently w/o a wife :cry:, I have the same concern about whether rain will get into the seat where you make the opening for the backrest. Really would appreciate if some of you who have the Utopia and ride in rain, would share your experience in this regard. :D

Thanks

Todd
I rode in one heckuva rainstorm a few months ago. Nasty. I also hose the seat off when I wash the bike - although do keep in mind the cut and go easy. I haven't had any problems. For rain, the bag that connects to the back will deflect most of that. I you are concerned it would be pretty easy to put something around where the cut is - I don't know what - some kind of tape maybe. But I really wouldn't worry about it.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top