GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the accolades for Utopia, I'm almost sold. One final question - does this installation allow water to enter the seat during a heavy rain or washing of the bike? I saw a post before about not worrying about the electronics under the seat, but how about moisture build-up (w/ poss. mold and mildew?)

Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I haven't done it to mine, but some have put clear sealant around the opening to prevent water from getting in. Don't let this stop you from getting a Utopia, it's a great addition.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Leakey Utopia B/R Hole

Good question...I never thought about it...Many Utopia drivers B/R installed on many different type motorcycles...never heard any compliants...I've never noticed water in my seat from hole for B/R...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Ordered one today. I'm sure I won't regret it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Installing the Utopia back rest was one of the fist things I did when I bought my wing over 2 years ago and I have always been concerned about water, you know it has to come in contact with the foam at the very least. Although I have never had a problem I take the backrest off and tape over the opening anytime I wash it. I like the idea of sealing it someway.
John

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I love my Utopia and never worry about water getting under it.
Dont use a hose much to wash the bike but I have been caught in a few frog choking down pours.
Sitting on the bike in the rain protects the backrest so I doubt if any water gets under it then.
When washing with a hose I just do my thing without a thought.

I paid a fella to install mine.
There was no way I was gonna take a knife to my seat. :shock:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
not enough water will get in there, and the foam in the seat is the non absorvant kind. I have logged hundreds of miles in the rain with no problems.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I put mine in 3 years ago,my bike loves a natural environment.I some times leave it uncovered in the rain for a few days to wash it.The back pad soaks up water but the seat seams ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.