GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting out by my work bench ( oh for crying-out-loud, I was sitting on the bike~~~sue me :D :D ) anyway I notice my bottle of stay-bil and it's not open :shock: :shock: :22yikes:

so it occurs to me I didn't put the freaking stuff in the gas tank ??? In those famous bugs bunny terms "WHAT-A-MAROON"

Can I still put the stay-bil in (the gas has been in there for about 45 days) or should I suck the old gas out first and fill with fresh????

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've got a better one than that...

I ran out of time before I deployed and never put any in my tank :banghead:

Will have been sitting in the garage for 4 months when I get home... :eek:4:

I did get the battery pulled and put in the basement though.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Jmac90: I would just put the stabilizer in now It takes about 30 days or so for the gas to start to go "bad". I feel that you won't cause any buid-up at this stage.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jazzy,

Put it in now, and just run the bike till it comes up to temp (get the moisture out of the exhaust). This way, it will mix in the tank and run throughout the complete fuel system.

You should have parked the Red Baron in my nice warm garage, with a loving master....LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
as cold as it's been in your neck of the woods ... not to worry .... heck, I went 20 winters without ever using a stabilizer and never had problems with the gas ... to cold to gunk up the works I guess ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I find that the only thing I need to add a stabilizer to is my snow blower. It sets idle (hopefully for a very long time) during the hot summer months. Both my bike and lawn mower are run on a regular basis during the hot...warm & not so hot months. I have never added a stabilizer to my bike plus I leave the battery in for that one day when the temp. peaks about 40 and I can take it for a quick ride. Bike has gone 60 days at times but never a problem so far. I replace my battery every 3 yrs. if it appears to need it or not. I like that feeling of knowing(hoping) it will start.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bulldog said:
Jazzy,

Put it in now, and just run the bike till it comes up to temp (get the moisture out of the exhaust). This way, it will mix in the tank and run throughout the complete fuel system.

You should have parked the Red Baron in my nice warm garage, with a loving master....LOL

Dawg
ya you'd think a guy that owns a heating company would have a heated garage :banghead: NOT in this house, maybe in the next home we will heat the garage, and the drive way so I never have to shovel snow again :s27:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
im with the orange crush on the forget it idea

for a long time i never knew about the stabilizers and then i was too lazy

i have never had a problem with old gas

i store my bikes with little gas and fill them with new gas as soon as i get them out to dilute the old gunk

i do change plugs every year after they run a little in case the crappy varnish gums the plugs up

i personaly would not worry

loren

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
uuuummm, I didn't see an expiration date :lol: :D :shock: on the bottle

I did what bulldog said, I threw 2½ oz's in, droped her off the center stand and wiggled her back-n-forth a couple of times to mix it up and ran the bike for 10-15 mins, it sure as heck can't hurt :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts