GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed the guys at V&P and asked if their mount would fit the 2006 since the dash was different. After being told several times that it does, I ordered it! It arrived today and looks nice enough, but, there is no Friggin way this mount will work on a 2006. I called them and they reassured me again that they've never had anyone say it wouldn't work on a 2006. So I thanked them and went back out to my 2006 TiWing and tried to get it to mount.

AIN'T NO WAY THIS THING WILL WORK ON A 2006 DASH!!!!!!

So I called them back again and said "this will not work.. the bracket is not shaped correctly for the slope of the dash." His response was, "SEND IT BACK". Ship it back and they'll give me a refund. Fair enough. I asked, "Aren't you interested in getting one that does work with the 2006?" His answer was, "If I do, it'll be on the web site"

Meanwhile, I'm going to keep it and try and make some rebends of the plastic and see what I can do to adapt it to fit to the right of my windshield vent. I don't want to block the vent.

So Bottom Line: If you have a 2006, don't order the V&P 2610 GPS Mount.

I guess the Ram setup I was using will have to suffice until Jon gets his version done, or I get this one modified.

Matt

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The shape of the new dash caught some of us by surprise, that's for sure. You're not the only person who got surprised by this - I've got a few customers who are patiently waiting for the correct version of the dash mount to be ready.

I was told my prototypes shipped today, so I should have the new design in-hand on Monday (maybe tomorrow?). I'll need to play with them to get the profiles (it's got compound curves now) correct and if the test-fitting goes well, I'll order the first production run right away.

There will probably not be a version of this mount with a RD shelf, because of the extreme slope of the dash.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
mattcaswell said:
...I asked, "Aren't you interested in getting one that does work with the 2006?" His answer was, "If I do, it'll be on the web site"
That's one of the problems with re-design of models...some parts from earlier ones fit and some don't. It becomes a learning curve for all of us.

The gentleman that owns V&P (Val) does manufacture many of the parts himself. It's a small operation and, as with most businesses, R & D can consume a large percentage of their income.

Cut him some slack...if it becomes profitable to re-tool for the '06 and later models, he (and others) probably will.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DT said:
mattcaswell said:
...I asked, "Aren't you interested in getting one that does work with the 2006?" His answer was, "If I do, it'll be on the web site"
That's one of the problems with re-design of models...some parts from earlier ones fit and some don't. It becomes a learning curve for all of us.

The gentleman that owns V&P (Val) does manufacture many of the parts himself. It's a small operation and, as with most businesses, R & D can consume a large percentage of their income.

Cut him some slack...if it becomes profitable to re-tool for the '06 and later models, he (and others) probably will.

Good luck with your search!
I thought that I was cutting him some slack.. especially since I was told by him in no less than 2 emails and 1 phone call that it did work with the 2006! I said he offered my money back and I also said "Fair enough!" I wanted to know what his intent was for making one that does work. How much more slack do I need to cut him? I'm keeping something that doesn't work in an effort to see if I can modify it so it does work. He doesn't have to eat a return. Seems to me like I was being reasonable in this thing.

matt

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jon said:
The shape of the new dash caught some of us by surprise, that's for sure. You're not the only person who got surprised by this - I've got a few customers who are patiently waiting for the correct version of the dash mount to be ready.

I was told my prototypes shipped today, so I should have the new design in-hand on Monday (maybe tomorrow?). I'll need to play with them to get the profiles (it's got compound curves now) correct and if the test-fitting goes well, I'll order the first production run right away.

There will probably not be a version of this mount with a RD shelf, because of the extreme slope of the dash.
Are you going to put it right in front of the vent, or will it be offset to the side. Just curious since I've discovered a very nice place for it to the right of the dash gauges and partly in front of the speaker. Sits well there, and won't hit on the brake lever etc. in a tight left turn.

I eagerly await your pictures when you get a production unit.

Thanks for your reply.

matt caswell

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No, it will be centered on the dash, extended slightly further out to clear the vent (and hopefully provide more clearance when used with the Tulsa shield) but very similar to the existing design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts