GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the opportunity to put their 1800 up against a V-Rod for a little drag race?? Friend of mine bought one and told me the 1800 didn't have a chance.. Maybe not, but he will have to prove it.. Bird

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
:sw1:
Well, who knows for sure. I've heard various reports from the mag's that differ considerably. If all else fails you can race him from sun up to sun down.
Gary

·
Registered
73 Posts
drag race? you are kidding right? if you arent, atleast I hope you dont do this on roads and put other motorist at danger....one other thing, this is an excellent way to lose your bike to the state that you live in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V-rod

Yep, I'm kidding... What I meant to say was, anyone play with a V-rod for two or three gears, maybe reaching the speeds seen on the expressways. I'm not saying a tire smoking, run to you top out race on the street. That would be idiotic.. Blue-Knight, everyone that owns a 1800 loves many things about it and one of those is the power it has for a touring bike. I, for one, thouroughly enjoy that part of this bike and while I love to twist that throttle, I have enough sense not to put my self, my wife, or other motorist in danger. Where I live we have back roads that you can go out and play a little and feel safer than riding through town, where a cage can end your day doing 25 mph.. I race (legally) every year in an organization on dragways, riding a crotch rocket, so when I really want to show out, thats where it will be done. Got one question though, are you saying you have never AIRED your wing out, even a little?? Bird

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bird......i usually cruise between 70-80 mph depending on what roads Im on. I have got the speed odometer up passing another vehicle or getting away from a bad situation. It wouldnt be right for me to speed all the time and go to work and write tickets for the same thing ( although I do know cops who do that).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue-Knight, with what you said, you are a good man and officer. When my wife and I cruise the highway, it's usually between 75 - 80 also. Any faster and I feel that I may not be able to react quick enough to an emergency situation. Hope you and family had a good Thanksgiving !! Bird

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Having ridden both and judging by the seat of the pants feel the V-rod would dust a GL1800 as well as a VTX, Mean Streak, or Warrior.

G

·
I think The V-Rod would dust the GL1800

I raced one (short distance) from a stoplight when I was on my ZRX1200. I won, but not by much (The ZRX1200 is a LOW 10 second 1/4 mile). The V-Rod is pretty quick and I'd say quicker than an stock GL1800.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A good friend of mine has a VROD and we trade bikes quite often. When we're out playing around, sometimes I beat him and sometimes he beats me, just depends on who's slamming the right gears at the time.

However... in a true 1/4 mile race on a track, he'll usually take me by 2 or 3 bike lengths. I usually take him off the line and will be at least 10 bike lengths ahead of him for a few hundred feet, then once he gets wound up, he starts gaining on me, and by the last couple of hundred feet or so he blows past me.

We both ride agressively and when the coast is clear (no cops, no traffic, wide open road) we often hit speeds of 125+ mph or more. The Gold Wing will stick to the VROD like glue and vica versa. We usually have pissing contests on who can peg their GPS with the highest speed. I usually beat him because he can't handle the wind blast.

RodeHard

G

·
I spent a week in Hawaii this Spring, and rented a V-Rod for a half day to scratch the motorcycle itch and simultaneously see for myself what the hubbub was about.

Wow! Fit and finish on this bike was immaculate, even with 6000 miles on it. Really gorgeous to look at. And it MOVES! I had no clue that a 2-cylinder bike could pull like that. Truly jaw-dropping. This was the stock config, I bet a hopped-up Revolution motor would be amazing. I'd agree with RodeHard's comment that the wind blast is pretty brutal once you get up to triple digits. But it sure is fun getting there.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
kperson said:
I spent a week in Hawaii this Spring, and rented a V-Rod for a half day to scratch the motorcycle itch and simultaneously see for myself what the hubbub was about.

I had no clue that a 2-cylinder bike could pull like that. Truly jaw-dropping. This was the stock config, I bet a hopped-up Revolution motor would be amazing. I'd agree with RodeHard's comment that the wind blast is pretty brutal once you get up to triple digits. But it sure is fun getting there.
According to MCN the Vrod does an 11.38 quarter, the GL1800 a 12.16. I'm amazed that a full boat tourer comes that close to a motor with a frame and wheels. This is really an apples to oranges comparison.

As for a twin pulling that hard, the Aprilia Mille, the Ducati 996, the Ducati 999, the Honda RC51, and the Suzuki TL1000 will all easily kick the Vrod's ass. Some of them beating it by almost a full second in the quarter, some of them costing less than half as much, and ALL of them handling MUCH better. All of these are V twins in the same displacement class as the Vrod.

When you consider the cost, the dedication to horsepower at the expense of torque, the preposterous maintenance cost, and the lack of compromise to any other goal than "power cruiser", I'm amazed at how fast the Vrod ISN'T.

I think of it as a toy for a guy with too much time and money.....oh, wait a minute....that describes ALL motorcycles. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Come on, Blue_Knight, aren't you in the least bit interested in which one would smoke the other. I know for sure the Wing would win for endurance.
But, I'd like to see a head to head flat out race some place like the Bonniville Salt Flats. Strip each bike down to bare bones. I'd lay odds on the Gl1800. :1st:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
V-Max, do they still make those rockets?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Yup they still make em... 20th anniversary edition has a cool flame job like the VTX's...
I think it's really funny that a 1200cc bike that hasn't really changed much in 20 years can give a the new Triumph 2400 a run and beat it in some benchmarks!! Awsome!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Still making them . . . almost completely unchanged since 1985. One of the best deals on a performance machine on the planet. I see them a year old for $7000 every now and then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Couple years ago

A guy took a 2001 yellow wing to bonnsville salt flats

He ran it as we get it. ran 132 or a bit more by the officials there

Then took all the tupperware off, slowed down to 120 or so.

That tupperware helps aerodynamics on the GL1800

Reason I know this cause a salesman at dealer I go to, runs a older kawasaki there every year.

His name is Scott Zess at Sun Enterprises, Colorado

1 - 20 of 23 Posts