GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my V-Stream special edition installed last night. The actual installation only took about 1 hour, and even at that I was being slow and careful. After install, I took it out for a short shake down run. My first impression is that it is a big improvement over the OEM shield. As promised, I had less turbulence around my head. With an open face helmet I had no problems with my eyes tearing with the shield in its lowest position. This was a real problem with the OEM unless I had it all the way up. Another benefit is that it is much quieter even at 70+ mph. I too found the turbulence to be noticeably less with the vent opened to the first notch. The only downside so far is that there is a little distortion when looking through the shield around some of the bends in the Plexiglas. I seldom look there anyway, and by the time I was arrived back home I was getting used to that.
As other’s have said before, mine is pretty tight when trying to adjust it up or down. Not impossible, but it does take considerable effort as compared to the OEM. I have never used another brand windshield on a wing before but if I had to buy another, it would probably be another V-Stream.
I should also add that the supplier (shinhopples.com) was a big part of making this a pleasant experience. Bulldog was truthful, had the best price I could find, and everything he said was true. :thumbup:

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As the V-Stream is quite an investment for me, I want to be shure and take care of it properly. National Cycles sells their own brand of windshield cleaner. For you other V-Steam owners, what do you use to clean your shield? So far, I've only used Plexus one time.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've had my SE for over a year now and on several long multi-day trips. I still love it and it's still scratch free. Not like my old Tulsa that got scratched easily. I just use a micro fiber cloth with a little bit of soapy water and use a dry one to wipe it off. For me, it cleans everything, including bugs, off easily. I keep one damp in a zip-lock bag on trips.

·
Registered
361 Posts
TY for the review, of the V stream and Vendor! :bow: I have been considering one for a little while now and will probably pick one up in the next month!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I first spray a 50/50 mix of H.Peroxide and water to melt the bugs then I spray it with a detailer of your choice and use a soft wet cloth to gently wipe it down and a microfiber cloth to dry it. The wetter you do it the better.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I first spray a 50/50 mix of H.Peroxide and water to melt the bugs then I spray it with a detailer of your choice and use a soft wet cloth to gently wipe it down and a microfiber cloth to dry it. The wetter you do it the better.
Same here but I use straight water most of the time. Peroxide is used during love bug season.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum, that some brand of windshield did not do well with Plexus. I've searched, but can't find that post. Maybe I was breathing too much fumes from the Plexus and just imagined it.:lol:

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum, that some brand of windshield did not do well with Plexus. I've searched, but can't find that post. Maybe I was breathing too much fumes from the Plexus and just imagined it.:lol:

Joe in Modesto

Seems that there was one about the shoeberth (yea, I know I butchered the spelling) helmet faceshield.

As for the V Stream, I use water and the bugs come off easily. The toxic toddy that smokes when you take the lid off of it, they call it rain zip, works well for keeping bugs from sticking.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Thanks guys for the testimonials about how we deal with our customers. The only way that we know how.

Be sure to call before you "Buy". You might be surprised about on the spot shop deals on this product, that we can not advertise, due to Minimum Advertising Policies (MAP).

Bulldog

G

·
The very best thing I've found to clean my v-stream is lemon pledge. Bug guts wipe right off with little to no rubbing. Plus lemon pledge is cheap and available everywhere.

·
Registered
792 Posts
As the V-Stream is quite an investment for me, I want to be shure and take care of it properly. National Cycles sells their own brand of windshield cleaner. For you other V-Steam owners, what do you use to clean your shield? So far, I've only used Plexus one time.

Joe in Modesto
I got my VS-SE right after they were introduced. If it is heavily 'bugged' I'll use a damp cloth first to soften the bug remains, otherwise, all I've used is Plexus with a micro fiber cloth. It is far easier to maintain than the OEM was.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
:bow::bow::bow:

+1 for the SE.
I installed mine late last summer and can't say enough good things about it.

For cleaning, I hose off the bike (pre-wash), and use a microfiber towel with Meguire's wash to do the entire bike. If the SE has stubborn bugs, I just lay the soapy rag on it for a few minutes and then gently wipe them away.

Rinse and dry with microfiber cloth.

On the road, any water (fog, drizzle, rain) just beads up and shed as good as the day I installed it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Like my V-Stream. Can't say love cuz at 6'1" I still get more buffetting than I expected (hi expectations I spose), but at least I can see clearly now (old 70's song there) instead of the constant blur from the buffeting I used to get.

Have to raise it up a ways for short SO. She says she gets more buffeting from VS than from stock. I have found that playing with the wings helps her some.

·
Registered
201 Posts
does the v stream help when its raining......I got caught in the rain yesterday and got soaked

·
Registered
814 Posts
I finally got my V-Stream special edition installed last night. The actual installation only took about 1 hour, and even at that I was being slow and careful. After install, I took it out for a short shake down run. My first impression is that it is a big improvement over the OEM shield. As promised, I had less turbulence around my head. With an open face helmet I had no problems with my eyes tearing with the shield in its lowest position. This was a real problem with the OEM unless I had it all the way up. Another benefit is that it is much quieter even at 70+ mph. I too found the turbulence to be noticeably less with the vent opened to the first notch. The only downside so far is that there is a little distortion when looking through the shield around some of the bends in the Plexiglas. I seldom look there anyway, and by the time I was arrived back home I was getting used to that.

As other’s have said before, mine is pretty tight when trying to adjust it up or down. Not impossible, but it does take considerable effort as compared to the OEM. I have never used another brand windshield on a wing before but if I had to buy another, it would probably be another V-Stream.
I should also add that the supplier (shinhopples.com) was a big part of making this a pleasant experience. Bulldog was truthful, had the best price I could find, and everything he said was true. :thumbup:

Joe in Modesto
Did you have to remove the mirrors to install it?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
does the v stream help when its raining......I got caught in the rain yesterday and got soaked
Really?:shrug:

If it's raining hard enough you will always get wet. In heavy cross winds or when stopped you will get wet. In light to medium, rain if you can keep moving most of the rain goes over and around me. Pretty much works the same as the air flow.

G

·
I checked out the specs on these windshields and they are 4" tall than OEM. I'm 6'0" and can see over the OEM screen just fine, but I sort of think I would not be able to so so with this screen. Those of you who have them, are you looking over them or through them?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Really?:shrug:

If it's raining hard enough you will always get wet. In heavy cross winds or when stopped you will get wet. In light to medium, rain if you can keep moving most of the rain goes over and around me. Pretty much works the same as the air flow.
DUH, only reason I was asking, other bikes that I have owned kept the rain off alot better than the wing

1 - 20 of 29 Posts