GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just installed a National Cycle V-Stream windshield I bought from Directline Parts.
I was pretty excited until I put it in it's lowest position, and then realized the Dash had scratched the crap out of it. There needed to be something with the windshield that spaces it from the dash just a touch. The vent hole is not that precise either. Won't buy another one.
Wow! Disappointing.:twisted:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Hello all,
I just installed a National Cycle V-Stream windshield I bought from Directline Parts.
I was pretty excited until I put it in it's lowest position, and then realized the Dash had scratched the crap out of it. There needed to be something with the windshield that spaces it from the dash just a touch. The vent hole is not that precise either. Won't buy another one.
Wow! Disappointing.:twisted:
Those scratches will buff out. Swirl remover and a buffer. I buffed them out once already but have scuffed it again and haven't bothered. I did not buy or install this shield a prior owner did. Where exactly would you put those 4 pads?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vstream scratches

My windshield did not come with any foam pads. It's not the special edition. And no, the scratches will not buff out. I'm in contact with National Cycle to see if something can be done.
G.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just curious, why do you think it wont buff out? Lexan, Poly, acrylic, etc. I never saw one that you couldn't buff out minor scratches.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Those scratches will buff out. Swirl remover and a buffer. I buffed them out once already but have scuffed it again and haven't bothered. I did not buy or install this shield a prior owner did. Where exactly would you put those 4 pads?
Circles,
I'm planning to buff out some light scratches.
What are you using with your buffer on your windshield?
I have some plastic compound and a foam pad but I wonder if should get wool for the windshield (stock).
Thanks.

GBrown,
I used the original VStream for years. Didn't come with any pads. It felt a bit shaky so I put some velcro (soft side) vertically in 4 places where it looked like it would scrape. No problems.
I recall the stock vent didn't seem to fit at first, but when front & back are lined up and the tab makes the slot it went in fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get yourself a small 1" x 3" piece of black Velcro (just the soft side) and stick it top of the dashboard right where the windshield makes contact and you will eliminate any future scratches. When I installed mine I noticed this was going to be an issue so I did the Velcro thing and it works perfect. Also contacted National Cycle with my concerns and suggested a similar solution but they didn't think it was an issue. Perhaps they need a few more calls.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have buffed several shields out over the years. I buffed out a couple of shields on my Shadow and my Vulcan Nomad.
I had a slip streamer (looked like a Tulsa tall) when I bought my 01. After a few years it started to get a yellowish tint and had a lot of swirl marks in it. Then when I got the 07 it had the V Stream and its scratches.

The last two shields on the Wings, I used Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound Deep Cleaner (it was not made for plastic, just plain rubbing compound) it is a very mild grit, not to aggressive. It took the yellow out that I figure was a coating on the shield and the swirls and small scratches. On the 07 it took probably 90% of the scratches out. I figure it took the coating off V Stream uses as well.
I followed up the Turtle Wax Rubbing compound with Kit Swirl Remover and buffed it until I could see clearly through the whole Shield in direct sun light. Then I coated both sides of the shields with Astro Shield polymer that I think i bought at Auto zone about 10 years ago when I ran out of Liquid Glass Polymer and couldn't find it. All of the shields were optically correct when I got done. No funny spots or blurs or distortions. After putting a couple coats of the Astro Shield on them, it actually filled the few little scratches and you couldn't see them anymore. That stuff works well and will not wash off period. I have used it to seal the aluminum wheels as well and it saves a lot of cleaning time after the initial cleaning. I don't know if you can still buy Astro Shield or not. I have done two Wings a couple of coats each, wheels a couple of coats each and shields 2 or 3 coats each on both sides. I still have about a third of the original can.
I guess it would be easier to just go buy new shields but I enjoy doing it myself anyway and it only takes an hour or two to do it yourself. The Astro Shield just wipes on like water, wait 10 minutes and wipes off just as easy. Let it cure for several hours and wipe on another coat same process, couldn't be easier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Roger D for that idea, I'm going to do that. And by the way, after sending photos to National Cycle, I haven't received any other info. I think I'm getting the long 'we're not doing anything about it' response.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think your right Gbrown. I bought my 1800 from the owner and sent an email to see if they had the books for the bike. still waiting 6 months later. like their products, It came with V STREAM special addition and full set of leg and hand wings. to bad customer service sucks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think your right Gbrown. I bought my 1800 from the owner and sent an email to see if they had the books for the bike. still waiting 6 months later. like their products, It came with V STREAM special addition and full set of leg and hand wings. to bad customer service sucks
Yup, I'm done with them UNLESS they happen to admit there's a problem and make it right. If by chance the do I'll be the first to post back here!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.