GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions please...

1) Is there an easy way to select the map segments other than one at a time...i do not find a "select all".

2) How many files should I have on the CF card once I have transferred the data and should they all remain inside the "Garmin" directory originally on the card?

Thanks,

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I guess I answered my own questions. I got impatient and went ahead and upgraded my original CF card. I am going to post my findings in case this will help someone else.

I found three files on the original card. The "gmapsupp.img" file which was 1.6 GB and holds the maps and all other routing and points of interest data, the "gmapsupp.unl" file which is actually a text file containing the unlock code for the original card, and the "gupdate.gcd" file which I have not figured out yet. I made a backup copy of the entire Garmin directory which is the only directory on the CF card.

I had already updated the software on the computer to V8 and unlocked it using the wizard so I was ready to transfer the map data to the CF card.

I opened the Mapsource and zoomed out so that I could see all of North America.

Selecting the map tool, I clicked at the upper left and drug across to the lower right opening a rectangle that covered the entire map. This "selected" all available map segments and loaded them into my map file I was building. Once I had selected all maps I named the mapset "gmapsupp". I don't think this is necessary, but since the original map set was named that, I used that name.

I then told Mapsource to send the maps to the device. A pop-up window opened that allowed me to see my CF reader and select it as the "device".

It took about 30 minutes for the software to build the mapfile and send it up to the CF card.

Browsing the card I found that only one file had been replaced, that being the "gmapsupp.img" file.

I put the card back into the holder in the trunk of the bike and turned on the key. It took just a few seconds for the GPS to read the new maps, and then it began functioning normally. A check of the setup info shows that it did upgrade to V8.

Hope this helps others....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts