GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP..I pull an Escape CSC trailer and until I damaged my plugs on a recent trip, the trailer wiring was perfect. I cut both sides last night and installed the Kury ball mounted wire plug system. Nothing is working correctly and I have moved wires around and tried different connections, nothing. My white wire from the bike is showing hot when bike is on, but that wire is identified as a ground. I have reached my limitations and need professional help. Does anyone have a shop/person in the Northern Virginia Area that can assist me with this mess. If not my next stop will be the CSC shop in South Boston VA. I met the owner last week while on a ride, yep same ride, and what a nice person.

Thanks again and I know my VA riders will come through for me.

Joe

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
PM sent

my number is in PM

·
Registered
126 Posts
I learned a lot about wiring the hard way, trial and error. It is difficult to troubleshoot a wiring problem remotely however my recommendation is to use a volt meter to test each wire bike side to see which one is running light, left turn, right turn, brake, etc. Then you simply make sure your connection to your trailer aligns with your bike side harness.

There is also the possibility that your isolator bike side went bad. That happened to me once and it was an easy (relatively) fix to replace it. The problem with wiring is that you cannot see the moving parts. It is all poking and prodding, trial and error. Your fuse and connection from your battery is where I would start, then work back from there to your isolator, then your individual wires off your isolator.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I see that 5 days have passed since your initial post. Resolved?

Also, I live in Northern Virginia, otherwise I would come by and help you thru it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update..I have given up on the Kury fixed plug system just too time consuming to match everything up. So, I went back to the basic five wire plug and will combine the 6th wire acc wire on the CSC with the running lights, or just leave it capped. This experience has taught me a great deal and the biggest lesson learned is to catalog your wire function in case you have to re-wire again. I started from scratch like suggested and re-mapped the function of each wire and determined that when it was wired originally the installer added different color wires that didn't match function, like so many of you said. I now have the rear panel apart and starting the re-wire of the trailer side. The best suggestion was the use of the 12 volt battery to confirm the trailer side wire functions, thanks. Once I confirm it all functions I will button it up with shrink tubing and pack it for the trip to Wing Ding.

Thank you all for your offers to assist. It just goes to show you that Wingers are some of the best folks around. I hope to see some of you on the road one day because it would be an honor to but you a cup of coffee.

A test light is your best friend.

Take care and be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts