GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you former Valk owners I need some advise. The wife says that since she got her new bike (The Silverado) that I can get a new one as well. Heres my problem. I really love my Valk, but I want something I can play with that doesnt have bags and 2 seats. I'm keeping the Valk as the Suzuki and Shadow are going away. So do I keep the Valk as is and customize a VTX to suit me or buy a Wing and customize the Valk? I know this is a Wing site and you guys are gonna lean towards the Wing but Im looking for some honest imput here. Thanks in Advance.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I don't think there is anything better looking than a nice customized Valk. The mass makes it stand out in a crowd. When you see it you know what it is! :)

You can customize a VTX all you want and it will still blend in with the crowd. It will look like any other twin. :( If you put a good set of pipes on a Valk it sounds fantastic. Any changes to the VTX exhaust I have heard makes them sound like a farm tractor with a bad exhaust.

This opinion is coming from a Guy that can't stand metric twins, but you did ask for opinions. :x

·
Registered
816 Posts
Valk and Wing

For a while I had a Valk and a Wing. My brother got after me hard and long enough that I finally sold him the Valk. I agree with the other posts that there is something "different" about the Valk that no other bike has. No doubt in my mind that if given the opportunity to have a wing and a valkyrie, that's exactly what I'd do.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I had a valk interstate and traded if for my 1800 wing. Oh how I wish I could do what you suggested, have a wing and a customized valk to play with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a 98 valk that I named Phatso (blue and cream.) Then I got a V twin ( 99 Victory) and added another V twin (00 Excelsior Henderson) then a parallel twin (2001 BMW 1200C). All gone but the beemer. I wish I would have single seated the Valk and customized it. V Twins become part of the background. I always look hard at a valk....sigh!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Valkyrie/goldwing

By all means go with the Valkyrie and the 1800. I have a 98 Valkyrie Yellow/Ivory (46000 miles) and a 2001 1800 Goldwing (76000 miles). Yes, I used to have the 1500 goldwing. The combination 1800/Valkyrie is perferred over the 1500/Valkyrie. I use the valkyrie for going to work and one nite overnite trips. I use the 1800 for long trips. I visited Vages twice last year and I live in MD. I love these bikes. Now let me say this, I might let the valkyrie go with getting a Rune in mind. THere is no situation where I would let the Goldwing go.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the valk looks so much different from the other harley wanna bees. i would keep the valka nd enjoy a new wing for the long trips or with a passenger.

what a horriable spot to be in, haveing a custom valk as the toy bike.

loren

·
Registered
2021 Red/Black Goldwing Tour DCT
705 Posts
I would buy a Wing and customize the Valk...I put MarkT glass backs on my Valk, sounds sweet.... :yes2:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2000 yellow/black Valk standard and a 2002 Silver GL1800. The Valk is so different than all the other bikes out their, I get a LOTS of comments about the Valk. I love my GL1800 and ride it most of the time, but the Valk is a real eye catcher. SLIDE

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would keep the Valk for sure bro! Than customize that baby and then go get ya a killer WING!

Take a look at my avatar! Guess what I'm getting next!

MJ

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Jay

Jay, I agree with most of the guys above. Customize the Valk and get a Wing. That's what I did, and if I had a little more money I would do more customizing of the Valk. Must admit that it looks great as a solo cruiser with no rear seat, backrest, or luggage rack. I find that I take the Wing on most of my longer trips (or if it is really cold out), but I still really enjoy throwing a leg over the Valk. It is one unique look for sure! Am even thinking that I may ride the Valk vs the Wing to Laughlin this year (02 was the Valk; 03 was the Wing; 04, maybe the Valk again). See you at one of our meetings, perhaps Sunday!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wish I had both bikes. I've owned a few Valkyries and like them alot. Just bought a GL1800. Had to sell the I/S. Owned a VTX and thought the Valkyrie was much nicer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Jay

wingnutzz said:
Jay, I agree with most of the guys above. Customize the Valk and get a Wing. That's what I did, and if I had a little more money I would do more customizing of the Valk. Must admit that it looks great as a solo cruiser with no rear seat, backrest, or luggage rack. I find that I take the Wing on most of my longer trips (or if it is really cold out), but I still really enjoy throwing a leg over the Valk. It is one unique look for sure! Am even thinking that I may ride the Valk vs the Wing to Laughlin this year (02 was the Valk; 03 was the Wing; 04, maybe the Valk again). See you at one of our meetings, perhaps Sunday!
Wont be able to make the meeting. Have to work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts