GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night around 8:20 pm I was riding home from dinner on Southbound US27 in MI with my fiancee as the co-pilot. I was thinking the whole time that I wish we would have left sooner when out of nowhere a deer ran out in front of us, at 75 mph.

I had enough time to grab a little brake before impact.

The deer slammed into the front of the bike and it's body slammed into my leg causing the bike to go into and almost uncontrollable wobble and shake. Somehow I was able to get it back under control and pull off the side of the highway without further injury.

I was able to get her off the bike, put the stand down, limp to the side of the road and call 911. Luckily she has only minor bruises on her calf and a little sore from impact.

I on the other hand took the brunt of the deer, but only ended up with a cortical injury to proximal fibula (contusion on my fibula). Nothing broken, but quite swollen and painful.

The Valk didn't fair too bad, but I killed the deer.........if I hadn't, I think I would have hunted it down and killed it with my bare hands........

I feel very fortunate that I had such a large bike and that I kept it up on two wheels....most don't fare as well, much less passengers.

Needless to say, my gut feeling about riding at that time of night was founded and I will definitely avoid riding around that time as much as possible. I almost always have and regret that we ended up having to ride that late.

Hopefully the insurance will fix the bike and not total it. Frame seems ok, but I am going to have it checked out by a professional.

Anybody else with any deer stories?

Here are some pics....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Holy Deer Dung, Batman!

That is simply amazing. I'm very glad to hear that you made it through that experience as well as you did. Bike damage can be dealt with. Broken body parts are much more difficult, not to mention painful. You'll most likely have to replace the seat as well. I'm sure it's permanently soiled. ;)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Keeping the bike upright was a task in and of itself !!!

Great Work...glad you two came out ok !
Bikes can be fixed or replaced .

·
Registered
541 Posts
We had a deer slaughtered at the end of our driveway night before last. Blood, guts and fur everywhere. There were pieces of chrome and bits of plastic here and there, including the front half of a cell phone in our driveway. I don't know what hit the deer, but it took a beating whatever it was. One of my best biking buddies hit one last summer at 65 mph on his 650 V-Strom. Totaled his bike and knocked him unconscious, buy he had on plenty of gear and a helmet that saved his life. They're evil when it comes to motorcycles.

·
Registered
628 Posts
"I had enough time to grab a little brake before impact."

It seems that I read here one time that you should accelerate in this instance, rather than brake because it helps you maintain control. I am DEFINITELY not being critical of your riding, apparently you knew what you were doing. I'm just curious about the idea of accelerating rather than braking. Very happy (and impressed) that you could hit a deer, stop a severe head shake and manage to stop safely with a passenger:congrats:. Man that was some awesome riding!! Congrats and hopefully you two will heal quickly. I also hope the Valk is repairable. I've never even ridden one but have always wanted one.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Doug, glad you two are still with us. I fully understand the deer situation, living just a half hour north of your area. Living in Michigan, I have had a number of close calls with both the Wing and four wheeled vehicles. I also have had a couple of deer hits with pickups over the past few years. We still ride in the evenings but when the deer and critters are active it's time to slow down a bit to give you more reaction time/room and less velocity if you do make contact. Heal up and the Valk can be repaired or replaced (hmmm...... good excuse to get a Wing ;)).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Keeping the bike upright was a task in and of itself !!!

Great Work...glad you two came out ok !
Bikes can be fixed or replaced .
:agree: I cannot believe, looking at the pics, you kept the bike up! Well done. Glad you're both OK. This is the primary reason I don't ride my bike to work (University). My classes end between 7:30 and 8 pm, and I have to drive home via rural roads. Deer and elk aplenty. Missed a deer in a median with my left side mirror by about 6 inches one dark night. Didn't even see it until I was right next to it. I love to ride, but I just don't take the chance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doug, glad you two are still with us. I fully understand the deer situation, living just a half hour north of your area. Living in Michigan, I have had a number of close calls with both the Wing and four wheeled vehicles. I also have had a couple of deer hits with pickups over the past few years. We still ride in the evenings but when the deer and critters are active it's time to slow down a bit to give you more reaction time/room and less velocity if you do make contact. Heal up and the Valk can be repaired or replaced (hmmm...... good excuse to get a Wing ;)).
I was actually heading back from the Blue Gator in Mt. Pleasant when this happened.

It would be a good time to get a Wing, but darn it! I just got this Valk last April. I plan on fixing it one way or the other. Hopefully the frame is OK.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I had enough time to grab a little brake before impact."

It seems that I read here one time that you should accelerate in this instance, rather than brake because it helps you maintain control. I am DEFINITELY not being critical of your riding, apparently you knew what you were doing. I'm just curious about the idea of accelerating rather than braking. Very happy (and impressed) that you could hit a deer, stop a severe head shake and manage to stop safely with a passenger:congrats:. Man that was some awesome riding!! Congrats and hopefully you two will heal quickly. I also hope the Valk is repairable. I've never even ridden one but have always wanted one.
Thanks for the kudos! I think 13 years of riding experience kicked in and took over.

I don't recommend anyone trying out the difference between acceleration or braking in this instance. Hitting the brakes actually saved us this time, because if I hadn't, the deer would have hit my passenger and the rear wheel probably causing the rear wheel to be knocked out from underneath us.

Usually the rule of thumb is if you can see a hazard such as an animal in the road or on the side of the road, you slow down until you get near or next to the hazard, then you can accelerate away from the hazard. In this case there was absolutely no forewarning.

Hindsight being what it is, I should not have been going that fast in the first place, so that I would have had more reaction time. Lesson learned, the hard way.

I love the way the Valkyrie handles. If you get a chance, you should ride one. Lots of power and once I took the windshield off, it handles like a dream! I have wanted one for years, and I hope I can save it......

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad no one was hurt anymore than stated. Hopefully it won't be long until the Valk is back on the road as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Valk versus Deer

Sorry to hear about your accident and Congratulations on keeping the bike upright. Having experienced a deer running into the side of a pickup and hitting another one on the interstate, I can't imagine what you guys went through.

Well done and get back on the road when you can,
Keith

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
Did you get to keep the deer? At least then you could sit down to a venison feast with all your riding buddies. Seems only fair you eat the beast. Glad you came out as well as you did.

·
Registered
127 Posts
dear alerts?

Don't mean to hi-jack thread but related question, do any of the deer alerts really work.:shrug:

I ride around here late at night all the time, in the 12 years I've been in New England I have seen plenty of deer but only hit one once in the car.

Great handling btw:congrats:, not sure if I could hold on with a passenger let alone solo after hitting a deer. Glad your both ok, bikes although loved and missed you can replace.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you get to keep the deer? At least then you could sit down to a venison feast with all your riding buddies. Seems only fair you eat the beast. Glad you came out as well as you did.
The deer was pretty mangled after I hit it. The police told me that it was hit a few more times by passing cars, so I didn't even get to have any steaks...... ;)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Congratulations on keeping your ride up. That took some good skills, & a little help from above. You deffinatly shouldn't be listed as a "lurker". Good luck in healing up, & getting back on two wheels. Might be a good time to look at a new 09 Goldwing. ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
If the deer is passing perpendicular to the roadway, it depends on the deer in proximity to you and your speed. I have missed several deer already by braking and allow more time for them to clear. If I'm going to hit them, I'd also rather be going slower than faster. I'm sure there are more dynamics to braking vs accellerating, and I hope I never learn the hard way that I was wrong!

Glad your okay!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow... That sounds like one great piece of riding to keep that bike on it's feet after striking a deer... You probably did the right thing in taking off a little speed, since you saw it coming. I say great job and I surely hope that beautiful Valk can be repaired. As a Valk owner, I know they are hard to find (in like condition) and are getting more rare all of the time. Good Luck with that! I'm glad you weren't both hurt worse in that incident.... Ride Safely!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Great Job keeping your Valk up after you hit the critter. Lots of close calls here in Wyoming with Deer, Antelope and Elk. For the most part I dont ride early morning or after dark. Still have close calls in the middle of the day around the state so Ive been real lucky.

Glad you guys didn't get hurt any worse than you did.....

:congrats:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Congrats on self-evident riding skill. Sure am glad you & passenger weren't more seriously injured.

Someone asked about Deer Alerts. All I say is a few years back I read a very well-written article by some University's Science Dept where via research & testing they somehow determined that a deer's audible detection & perception range is almost exactly the same as human range. Not so much as far as "volume sensitivity" as much as "audio spectrum range" they can perceive. The article was geared toward those Unltrasonic type deer alerts. Stated conclusions were if the human ear can't hear it, neither will the deer. I saved the article, if I can find it again I'll post it, otherwise all I can say is I'm reporting the study's conclusion FWIW (if anything) to the thread viewers.

I kinda think our most effective "deer alert" is our own Eyeballs in conjunction with a reasonable speed for the environmental and road conditions existent at any given time, and good protective riding gear clothing.

Sure am glad your Dance With Bambi turned out better than mine did on my '01 GW. 3:30 AM. Dark unlit 2-laner out in the middle of nowhere. 55 MPH in 55 MPH posted zone, leaned over, midway through a right-hand sweeper curve. Bambi sprang outa nowhere from the roadside tree-line, already fully airborne as I rounded the bend. Came in from left to right. Literally caught me right in the face.

Knocked onto the shoulder in an instant. Didn't go down initially, but the Wing's doin' the violent wig-wag head & tailshake. Almost regained the highway again, & would have, were not for a little patch of soft, deep sugar-sand the front wheel encountered just a foot or 2 shy of the roadway edge. That stopped the bike on a dime, tail-over head flipover, ejected and ground-slammed.

10 ribs @ broken completely in half, coupla busted rib-ends buried inside punctured-deflated lungs, collarbone busted in half, shoulderblade shattered into 4 pieces. After layin' there for a while, "9 months pregnant" from internal bleeding from lacerated liver & ruptured spleen.
Wasn't a picnic at all, and I'll just leave it at that so as to not get "broken-record" stoy-telling again.

Just one thing I'd want to repeat for all, so ya can learn from my mistake instead of your own.

If you carry a cell-tel riding alone at night out in the sticks, don't ever, ever keep it on or in the bike like mine was. Keep it, instead, on your own person. Not clipped onto your belt, where you'll lose it in a heartbeat if ya take a slide. Keep it in a secured, zippered or snappered exterior pocket, within easy reach.

And FWIW, know this too: I had to lay there and watch gurgling throat-torn Bambi aspirating and slowly drown in her own blood. Wanted to Euthanize her so I wouldn't have to watch and listen to that. Could have, would have, were it not for the fact I couldn't access the Euthanasia Tool. Tried half a dozen times but was UNABLE to even pull open the velcro storm flap to unzip and lower the riding jacket's main front zipper.

So I'd strongly suggest storing cell-tel in an exterior zipped pocket, if available, with a big easy-to-grab zipper-pull attached to the zipper tongue. With a coupla splintery rib-ends buried deeply inside your lungs, even the slightest & every "inhale or exhale" alone is a thousand white-hot knives in your chest. Simple getting the gloves off was almost as hard as trying to open the velcro zipper storm-flap.

And when I was as young as eleven years old, I became trapped in an underground tunnel-fire, and crawled on my hands and knees, face-first, into a roaring gasoline-fueled inferno, a solid-wall Sea Of Flame, completely immersed and engulfed in flame on all six sides, all around me. To save my own life and the life of a friend, when that became a Necessity.

So I "ain't no Wimp", nor am I a "Stranger to what Real Pain Is, or Can Be". And I'm tellin' ya, I couldn't even pull open the jacket's storm-flap cover, because trying to Hurt Too Much. Enough to make me pass and and faint. So keep your cell-tel within easy reach, and secure, but as easily accessible as possible. because ya never know just how tore up you might someday be if-when SHTF.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Glad you are basically OK! Great job of riding.
I hit one about 3 years ago on my Kawasaki 1500 Classic. I was not going as fast as you, was by myself, early in the morning. Same result except the deer got up and ran off. Bike was easily repaired and riding again in less than a week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts